Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need organ board on budget

humb

all kind (personally love these church ,,huge organ but kontakt lib will do) hammond,vox,farfisa,wurly etc kind sound

so limit is cca 1000

what board have most bang for buck in sound/board/keybed area ?

for that sound (50's-60's-70's)of jazz/blues/rock

prices are for europe

big thanks

p.s. i test some of it ,some i hate ,some so-so,some never

seen but like soundcloud demos ,,and just for

comparison you can tell some better more expensive

suggestions like best for that kind sound

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
all kind (personally love these church ,,huge organ but kontakt lib will do) hammond,vox,farfisa,wurly etc kind sound

so limit is cca 1000

Trying to stay close to the budget, best choice new would probably be Hammond SK1 typically at 1390 - though if you could get by without the "wurly etc" and stick with just the organ sounds, you could also save a little with the Hammond XK-1C.

If you can't stretch the budget, the Roland VR-09 would be the next choice, but the organ sound, feel, and operational control are all below the Hammond's.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

ne2 cant find second hand for 1000 with shipping :(

sk1 have great organ sounds but 1400 :(

(i put this on maybe list)

vr-09 ? only i know is ,220 sounds not so bad hammond

how old Kurzweil K2500 rack go + some "organ" midi keyboard ?

can get one for 300 + midi board ???

@OP Do you need drawbars and is this for live use?

It reads like you already have Kontakt - if you're just playing and recording (not gigging) - a set of midi sliders or a controller keyboard with sliders may be all you need.

If it's for live use - you'd be better spending more money and getting a dedicated clone - there's good advice in the posts above.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

You should really look into trying out a VR-09.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

right now home

only because i wasnt have this kind keyboard for live

tnx for advices will save bit more and get hammond sk

thanks

edit:: what about roland fa-06 ?*? this one is 1000 board ?

I tend to think that the VR-09 is the right choice.. XK1c is more expensive and won't give you anything more than organ sounds.. FA has an organ engine but no drawbars for live manipulation.. Of all the Hammond clones, the VR-09 has good Hammond sound and arguably the best other sounds, including a real built in Virtual Analog synth.. You just can't beat if as an entry level drawbar organ (assuming you value the other sounds/voices).

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

The reason you 'think' you make bad decisions is there is no perfect keyboard and no perfect musician. Everything and everybody is different and it all involves compromises. Compromises as to sound, weight, size, looks and the biggest compromise of all, money.

It's always about the money and that forces the compromises. I made my compromise and picked up a used SK1 a few months ago and love it. Is it the absolute best organ? Maybe. If not, it's pretty close. Does it have the best other sounds? No. Decent other sounds but no, not comparable to my PC3.

You mentioned a K2500. It's an antique keyboard but still sounds pretty good, but the old K2500 KB3 organ mode is not close to the new PC3 KB3 which is not close to my SK1. It's all personal taste, you may think it's good enough but on this forum when you ask about organ clones even the latest Kurzweil version of the KB3 won't cut it. It's decent, I've played organ on my PC3 for over four years but now that I have my SK1, the Hammond is much, much better.

If an SK1 is too expensive for you then you're forced to make a big compromise. To me the organ is better than the VR09 but the Roland is pretty good and might work for you. My new rig now is the SK1 with the FA06 because the FA is way better than the VR09 for all the other sounds and since I have the SK1, I don't care that the FA06 has no drawbars and it's leslie effect sucks.

Just realize, THERE IS NO EASY ANSWER. The best requires money just like everything else in life. If you don't have the money then you're driving an old Fiat instead of a new Mercedes. Or a skateboard.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

hate this

same like in shops ,like this like that and a bit that

and on end have nothing :)

i was always bad in decisions what to buy :(

I don't know where you are located, but FYI, I am preparing to sell a mint condition Nord Electro 3. If interested I can send pics and discuss.....if so....send PM.....at least it's another option to consider.

thanks for advices :)

vr-06 vs fa-06 which is better ?

i call around a bit today and on same price lvl around 1000 (+/-100)

i got vr-09 ,fa-06, pc3le6(7month old) ..

wasn't look yamaha/korg models

900,1000,850(second hand),,

just find this video

fa-06 have real church organ sound in it :))

i think next one will be fa-06 :)

thanks for advices :)

vr-06 vs fa-06 which is better ?

see

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2584081/Roland_FA_06_Organ_Sounds

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I see the FA-06 has buttons along the bottom of the screen that makes it quick & easy to switch between 10 sounds... registers if you will.

Is there any way you could set up say 4 organ sounds, or do they have to belong to the group labeled on the button? Like if I didn't plan on using a brass, guitar, vox, strings, or other .

I would go with Craig on this. For the best value/organ sounds PLUS usable piano/EP? Strings/Synth sounds there just isn't anything that compares. I have truly enjoyed mine and feel it is the best board I have purchased in years.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Sorry to disagree Kenny (and David), but as far as I am concerned the Casio XW-P1 organs are very disappointing.. I applaud these low cost, high value keyboards like the PX-5S the XW-P1 and the VR-09, and the XW-P1 has a lot to offer, but the organs on the XW-P1 are absolute NOT anywhere near the current standards in Hammond clone sound. The VR-09 organ engine is in the ball park.. the XW-P1 is a couple miles down the street. Sorry.

I should also point out that the VR-09 has a combo organ engine (although I really don't think it's that great) and that's an added feature that the OP was looking for.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I see the FA-06 has buttons along the bottom of the screen that makes it quick & easy to switch between 10 sounds... registers if you will.

Is there any way you could set up say 4 organ sounds, or do they have to belong to the group labeled on the button? Like if I didn't plan on using a brass, guitar, vox, strings, or other .

I actually was to understand there is a schema where you can use the 16 pads to switch between tones/live sets?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Totally agree with Craig. My local Sam Ash had a floor demo of the XW-P1 for months asking $369 and I played it several times. It has a lot of interesting things going for it but organ is not one of them. There's a YT vid of Max demo'ing a BURN with one and with the BURN it sounds decent but no C/V, the basic organ sounds are barely OK and the sliders are notchy, not smooth. My PC3 KB3 organ blows it away.

I'm not ragging on the Casio though, for the money it's a good keyboard aimed at a different audience, not for what we're talking about.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

The organs on the XW-P1 are absolute NOT anywhere near the current standards in Hammond clone sound.
No kidding! It's also 1/4 of the price too! And for a half the price of a Hammond you can buy an XW AND a Burn or Vent and have just as many general capabilities (some which I feel are even better on the XW).

There is no question that the vent or burn will improve the sound of the XW-P1 organs.. I was responding to the suggestion that the OP wouldn't be disappointed by the XW-P1 organs.. that statement is inaccurate... there is a high likelihood that the OP will be terribly dissapointed in these organ sounds!

Adding a vent or burn to the mix will bring the cost of an XW-P1 pretty close to a VR-09, and that will improve the XW-P1 organ will sound, but still not be as good as the VR-09 and just marginally passable when compared to current clone standards.

The XW-P1 is great value and it has a lot of great features for the price, but it is not really an organ. It's a synth that happens to have a drawbar organ emulation and unfortunately that emulation happens to be one of the worst that I've ever heard. It's not the right keyboard for someone who's looking for an organ.

Craig MacDonald

I was responding to the suggestion that the OP wouldn't be disappointed by the XW-P1 organs.. that statement is inaccurate... there is a high likelihood that the OP will be terribly dissapointed in these organ sounds!
IMO, that's presumptuous. We have no idea if humb has even played a real Hammond tone wheel organ nor where his ear/tastes are for what's a good organ sound or not from a player's perspective. He might be satisfied with an XW. :idk: Neither do you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Adding a vent or burn to the mix will bring the cost of an XW-P1 pretty close to a VR-09, and that will improve the XW-P1 organ will sound, but still not be as good as the VR-09

I think that may depend on what kind of organ sound you're looking for. If you want a tonewheel organ sound with strong overdrive, I think that an XW-P1 with even the Mini Vent might sound better than a straight VR-09, since the overdrive is one of the weaker points of the VR and one of the stronger points of the Vent. I'm not suggesting the XW-P1 for the OP, I'm just not sure the VR-09 is unequivocally a better organ than the XW if it has the Vent and the VR doesn't. Considering everything the OP wants, I would still lean toward the VR-09 as a strong second choice behind the Hammond he may not be able to afford.

In my opinion, the VR-09 by itself is a better sounding organ than the XW-P1 with a vent or a burn. I don't think there is any question.. however unequivocally, I can't say that. Joe you do you really think it was presumptuous of me to assume the OP wanted a good sounding Hammond organ tone..?? That's what the OP asked for in the original post!! I don't think it's fair to criticize me for trying to provide good advice!

IF he said he wanted the sound of an Acetone portable, the XW-P1 might be perfectly adequate. However for getting authentic Hammond/leslie sound, the XW-P1 is pretty poor, although a burn/vent leslie sim would help. The VR-09 is a much better solution for what the OP has requested.. if he wants to spend more, perhaps an SK1 would be good solution as well (although a lot more expensive).

Craig MacDonald

Archived