Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia

Dave Bryce

I've been really impressed with my iSEM and iMini apps...but those are the only Arturia products I currently own. I was checking out the videos of their Mini and Micro Brute synths, and they look pretty cool - especially taking the price point into account.

Who else is using their stuff? Do those of you who do use their products have the software, hardware or both?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got both. I've got a MiniLab that came with the 5000 sound library (Analog Laboratory). I liked it so much that I upgraded to the entire V-Collection. The MiniLab is cool for traveling (it and a laptop fit nicely in a backpack with headphones) but I'd really like a KeyLab49 or 61 (even been looking at the new 88). All their controllers seem to be built like tanks but I've only tried them at GC. My MiniLab is built solidly - love the wooden end cheeks! I grew up on the hardware that Arturia emulates and it's over 90% spot on IMHO. I know you have a MacBeth db so you'll probably be disappointed with the 2600 emulation but I think it's damn close. Plus let's not talk about the cost of refurbing and maintaining the originals anymore. Just too damn expensive. So yeah, I'm in hog heaven!

I also have the iSEM and iMini apps on my iPad as well. Whenever I wanna get my freak on, they are a blast. Or in the bathroom. I know ... TMI.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

The only product I have from them is MiniV and I don't use it. George Duke mentioned in his last interview with Jerry that he used it so I got it. I still prefer G Force Minimonsta as it loads faster and uses less resources and I like the GUI better. Maybe when I get a faster laptop I'll change my mind.
:nopity:

I have everything except Brass, software-wise, and hardware-wise I have BeatStep, Spark LE, and one of the MIDI keyboards (63 keys, previous rev -- I forget the exact name). The company has improved dramatically in the past few years, delivering much better VI emulations than before, and hardware that is amongst the best-built in the industry. I am hoping there will be a Brass 3 and that they'll finally get it right (Brass 2 was in some ways worse than rev 1, and really a rewrite with different instruments).

The Oberheim SEM and the Wurly and Vox Continental are probably currently my favorites, and the CS-80 is unique so is a must. Although it's not all that close, I like the Jupiter anyway because they loaded the factory presets into it (they did these with a few, but not all, of the emulation VI's). I haven't really used the Prophet as I have the hardware, or the ARP as I like TimewARP 2600 so much.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have the iPad version of the iSEM and iMini, and I have the VST versions of the CS80v, MiniV and Modular V. :wave:

The CS80v is especially fun to play from my PC3x - Between the weighted keys and assignable sliders, it's about the closest I'll ever get to spending time with the original CS80. :laugh: In fact, I've never owned any of the original synths that I'm emulating. So I can't really vouch for the authenticity, but they all sound very good and they're a blast to play! :)

><>

Steve

I've only fooled around with their software demos. But, I do own the Microbrute. It's a fine synth! I have some trouble getting it in tune (I usually let the oscillators warm up for a few minutes). Very powerful bass sounds. I couple it with my MS-20 Mini, and it cuts through the mix very, very well. It's really affordable too! You can find them new on eBay for under $300. Excellent for the studio, and live use too. The onboard sequencer is a highlight for me. I don't like the micro keys and two-octave keyboard, but MIDI solves those issues. The Steiner-Parker filter makes Arturia's hardware synths sound very unique.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Have the older-model 49-key controller + V-collection. Nice synth action given the price. Of the V-Collection, I use the Mini and SEM emulations the most, I suppose because they have the most approachable GUIs.
I make software noises.

I have CS80v and usually employ it when I need to get a particular sound (for instance Eddie Jobson's ring modulation gesture in the "Nevermore" solo from the first UK album), or other sounds my hardware synths can't produce.

I had a lot of fun using my JD800 as a control surface for CS80v, using midi-translation software to map the Roland's sysex code into CC's to control the parameters. That was probably my closest experience to having a real CS80.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I have the iPad version of the iSEM and iMini, and I have the VST versions of the CS80v, MiniV and Modular V.

Strange . . . that's exactly the same Arturia lineup I have.

Some thoughts:

I like Mini V, Modular V, and ISEM. Like most virtual analogs, the Arturia softsynths' reputation is often driven by how people think they compare to the machines they claim to emulate. But used as themselves, they're musical.

The Moog Modular probably sounds the best . . . but not the most fun to use unless you like the whole connect-everything-with-patchcords paradigm, which can be a pita on a computer screen.

Re hardware: I didn't like the Brute monosynth I tried in a store, but some owners like 'em, both models. It would be great if Arturia did a polyphonic Brute, because imo the sound seems ideally suited to chord playing -- warm, not too thick. Like this:

[video:youtube]apeTdSGzSbA

I'm kinda surprised there's not more love for the two Brute synths. They both seem pretty cool - lotta unique features, and a bunch of power at a pretty great price point for 100% analog.

1. Arturia is not "Moog" or "Dave Smith" or "Oberheim" or... (read: a legendary name)

2. the Steiner-Parker filter

3. no patch memory

For synth aficionados, they may not be issues, but I think they limit the appeal for others.

1. Arturia is not "Moog" or "Dave Smith" or "Oberheim" or... (read: a legendary name)

Makes sense.

Your point being...? Most synth geeks I know consider that to be a good thing.

3. no patch memory

Like a Minimoog...? ;)

For synth aficionados, they may not be issues, but I think they limit the appeal for others.

Fair enough on the first and third point...but I'm still not sure what you're trying to say with the second point. I'd figure only a synth aficionado would know what a Steiner-Parker filter/Synthacon is....

dB

Your point being...? Most synth geeks I know consider that to be a good thing.

It's not to everyone's taste, it can be limiting, and it's not a strong selling point to non-synth geeks because it doesn't have "that sound" of a Moog filter or whatever.

No question it's a fun, affordable synth.

I have CS-80V, and I have owned an actual CS-80. Obvious interface differences aside, I don't feel the CS-80V comes even close to sounding like the real thing. I get much better CS-80 sounds from U-He Zebra2.

It's not to everyone's taste

Is anything? :idk::D

it can be limiting

In what way? It does HP, LP, Band pass and notching, and can be driven to self-oscillate....

and it's not a strong selling point to non-synth geeks because it doesn't have "that sound" of a Moog filter

Which Moog filter? ;)

No worries - I know what you mean. :thu:

No question it's a fun, affordable synth.

I'm inclined to lean that way as well. Lotta cool, unique functions - I'm especially intrigued by the Metalizer function...and the Brute Force parameter, which emulates the whole patching the output back into the input trick from the Mini...and I like the idea of being able to use all the osc's waveforms at once in varied amounts. The patching matrix on the Micro impresses me, too.

I think I need to spend some time playing with them. :cool:

dB

I'm kinda surprised there's not more love for the two Brute synths. They both seem pretty cool - lotta unique features, and a bunch of power at a pretty great price point for 100% analog.

3. no patch memory

4. Reliability issues with the keys breaking or shipping damaged, from what I've heard.

Update:

I spent about an hour with the Minibrute at Banjo Mart today, had more time to get into it.

It's a cool little synth for bass; very different in character than the Bass Station 2, which was also at the store. I liked the bass sounds I got once I grokked how to make the synth sing--it does the sawtooth kind of Moog bass well imo. Didn't get anything impressive re leads, but they might be in there.

Since there's only one oscillator plus a sub osc, a lot of the timbral control comes from being able to choose any combination of waves at once on the mixer; you've got separate sliders for triangle, pulse (pulsewidth user-settable, with PWM), saw (with supersaw option), and noise (and external input if you want). You can't detune those waves, they're all "the same" oscillator, but you can do a lot of subtle tone-sculpting by changing the proportions of one wave to another with the sliders, as well as using all the usual tricks with the resonant filter, lfo, and 2 envelopes.

I was underwhelmed by the Metallizer and Brute Force functions, but didn't have time to explore every possibility. I was hoping the Metallizer would be more FM-sound-metallic, it isn't that, not sure how to describe it . . . different timbre but not dramatic.

It's definitely real analog; takes a few minutes for the sub to come into tune with the regular oscillator.

Re reliability, the store model had a broken key and a broken octave button, which is not usual at that store but does happen sometimes. The build quality felt okay, sliders weren't shaky.

I'd consider the Minibrute as a contender in the $500 analog mono contest that's going on right now, but wouldn't expect it to be some kind of Model D in disguise or something . . . all the instruments at this price point seem to have their limits. The Minibrute felt less hyped but less flexible than the Bass Station 2, the MB is a very straight-up analog-sounding creature.

Wanted to compare with the Moog Minitaur, but the trained staff and I couldn't get it to work.

Hope this is helpful.

I think the point with emulations is a simple one: You either have had experience with the original, or you haven't.

When I first heard the Arturia Mini emulation, it sounded a bit bland to my ears... and when I played the Modular Moog emulation, I thought, "You must be joking".

Fact is, these instruments sound very good if you *don't* attemp to make a direct comparison.

Being somewhat familiar with these two instrument, I could tell how much the emulation were far from nailing their targets.

But they do sound good, so I try not to criticize them too loud...

It is also said that Arturia synths tend to sound a bit too similar to each other, and I tend to agree.

But cynically speaking:

Used Model D $4000 - monophonic

Arturia Mini V $100 - polyphonic

So who am I to argue....

As for the real analogs:

I've played the Minibrute and it's a lot of fun, but the MFB Dominion X or the new Hypersynth Xenophone have twice the sound (IMO) and three times the features, for just a slighly higher price.

I have a MicroBrute that I just bought from a friend a month ago, and I'm digging it. I like that it has a unique sound, and doesn't try to sound like a Moog. I really like the rather abrasive sound of the filter, if I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's much closer to an SH 101 than any Moog. It makes a great CV controller and sequencer for my modular as well. I spent some time playing with a MiniBrute recently, and liked it quite a bit as well, I may pick one up eventually. I also played their BeatStep pad controller/step sequencer, and it is definitely on my shopping list, a very clever little unit.

The only softsynth of theirs I have is Mini V, I also own NI's Monark, and every time I compare the two, Monark always wins.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I have CS-80V, and I have owned an actual CS-80. Obvious interface differences aside, I don't feel the CS-80V comes even close to sounding like the real thing. I get much better CS-80 sounds from U-He Zebra2.

Ditto! I am surprised Eddie Jobson even used it, and even then he had to mix it with Omnisphere. Of course, his playing could make anything sound good.

I love the big beefy Moog filters as much as anyone, and based on the initial demos of the Minibrute, I made what I now think are unfair comparisons between the Steiner Parker filter and the Moog ladder. So maybe it's time for me to eat some crow. Sure, you might still want to start your collection with the ladder, but once you have that robust voice, perhaps it's time to explore some delicacy?

Can a brute be delicate? Well listen to what Mike Leghorn does with it ...

https://soundcloud.com/mike-leghorn/aria-from-the-goldberg

:love::love:

That's not a sound I heard in the initial audio demos!!

I'm definitely considering picking up one of the Arturia analogs. You could even make a multifilter monosynth with some Moog going into Arturia or Arturia going into Moog. It's just another beautiful analog flavor. What's not to love? :cool:

I haven't heard anything about reliability issues for the Minibrute/Microbrute. My Microbrute's in good shape, but I'm sure those keys could damage easily. I was unimpressed with Bass Station demos, but I'd be interested in trying one.

We live in an age where analog monosynths can be purchased for a few hundred dollars a pop. What this means is, if you could afford it, there's no reason not to pick up a Minitaur, Mini or Microbrute, Bass Station, and--definitely--the MS 20 Mini. Each of them is a different beast, so why not own them all and chain them up? ;)

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

The Origin hybrid synth is what looked really interesting to me. Reading all the angry post on the Arturia support forum a couple of years ago scares me away from anything they do that cost bigger money.

I have a SH-101 that I can use for anything I would use a MiniBrute for.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

COunt me as a +1.

THen combine it with their fascist leanings as exhibited by their liaison with Muse Research, and you have a non-starter (that cost me $500).

When I got my first Receptor, I got it cuz I wanted to run CS80v, among other things. Unlike every other manufacturer, Arturia demanded you buy the the crossgraded software for the Receptor at FULL MSRP ($495). Every other manufacturer, it was a $20 crossgrade charge at Plugorama, plus whatever you paid for the software at the store. (discounted from list obviously!)

So after I bought the software directly from Plugorama as instructed (at full MSRP), it was buggy, didn't respond to even basic midi volume messages, and then Arturia ended the relationship with Muse, leaving me with $500 of unsupported software in a Receptor....with no discs or anything for my computer.

F them.

Oh....their Origin was pretty cool.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived