Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"To those of you who grew up in the 'MTV' era..."

Adam C.

As a highly impressionable teenager growing up in the '80's, I, like countless other "wannabe Rock-Stars" of the day, spent an inordinate amount of time glued to the television watching MTV, (that's a station that aired these things called "music videos" for anybody reading this who's under 25 years of age!) :D

It's then that I first started to connect with keyboards, and the idea of wanting to play in a band. A lot of these videos not only sparked my love of music (some questionable, yes), :facepalm: but more importantly, they gave me my first serious instances of 'gear-lust'. Anybody else here have any nostalgic memories of seeing a keyboard, or keyboard-player in one of those old videos that made an indelible impression on you? C'mon now, don't be shy! This thread isn't about how 'cool' some of these videos may or may not have been...(suffice it to say, not many of them would probably still hold up all that well today.) ;) It's just about remembering the good times. Here are some of my favorites, (in no particular order...)

"Touch & Go" (Emerson, Lake and Powell)<(The 'King'!)

"All I Need Is A Miracle" (Mike & the Mechanics)<(DX7)

<-('Spinning' stand!)

<-----('Invisible' Stands!) :thu:

"Invisible Touch" (Genesis)<(DX7 and an Emulator II!)

<--('Apex' Stand!)

<-(Custom-painted B3, baby!)

"Rock Solid" (DeGarmo & Key) <---('Roland' keytar!) :cool:

<---(DX7)

<--(More DX7 goodness!)

"Shakedown" (Bob Seger)<----('Casio CZ' at 1:52!!!) :whistle:

<---('Yamaha CS80'...Aww, yeah!) :rawk:

"Lamu" (Michael W. Smith)

<-('Invisible' Stand & a 'Lync'!)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to I say it, but I'd add jump to that list. The Oberheim was just so photogenic.

I totally remember the CZ in the Segar video. I wanted one bad. We must be about he same age, because this list speaks to me.

[video:youtube]

I recall turning my head upside down to cop some of those licks when the piano keys started spinning!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I love this thread as well (where's Blondie?). I came through the disco era playing in bands on the road doing Holiday Inns for 6 weeks at a stretch, etc.

When this phase of music began in the late '70's to overtake what was happening I was mesmerized. I thought bands were done for.

Love this stuff to this day...Elvis & the Attractions knocked be out. Steve Nieve is a genius.

Great thread.....

Wow! Some nice choices there, guys! Some of these videos are real 'blasts from the past', aren't they? :D

And @ Moonglow: I loved that album! ("3:To The Power of Three") Robert Berry was no 'Greg Lake', and the songs weren't as good as on Emerson, Lake and Powell, but anything that has both Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer attached to it is far better than 80% of the music that's put out today, in my opinion! (Well...maybe not Love Beach...but I digress...) ;)

I hate to I say it, but I'd add jump to that list. The Oberheim was just so photogenic.

I agree wholeheartedly Sir. "This one's for you, ABECK!" :thu:

I loved that album! ("3:To The Power of Three")

One of my guilty pleasures, as well. Saw the band in Chicago, representing the first time I ever saw Emerson (and Palmer) live. Of course, we had to wait a few more years for Mr. Lake to return to the fold....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I loved that album! ("3:To The Power of Three")

One of my guilty pleasures, as well. Saw the band in Chicago, representing the first time I ever saw Emerson (and Palmer) live. Of course, we had to wait a few more years for Mr. Lake to return to the fold....

Just watched that video again. Wow! Synth-Heaven, man! :) Keith has actually got an 'Emulator III', a 'Yamaha DX5' and a freakin' 'DX1' (both seemingly suspended...in mid-air mind you!), :laugh: a 'Korg DSS-1' Sampler and what looks like a 'Yamaha MIDI-Grand' of some kind! Now that is why he's "The King"! (Although it is kind of funny that it sounds like he's using just about every D-50 preset-sound that there is just shy of 'Digital Native Dance' with nary a Roland in sight. I mean, I know that he's not really playin' them, but come on!) :D Oh, Keith...

(Oh yeah...and I think that there were some girls in there too somewhere, but I'm not really sure...)

[video:youtube]

Running for cover....

Man, that's the epitome of suckness.

(And I was an ELP fan who thought "Love Beach" was a sell-out.)

I named my one and only son Emerson after Keith and I find this video very cringe worthy too. I didn't hate on Love Beach though. I didn't love it either, but I didn't hate on it.

YES became "Maybe" in the 80's and ELP became "Emerson, Lake and Perhaps".

One thing I regret a lot was being a prog rock and jazz fusion purist back in the 80s.

I got lots of offers to be in top 40 style pop bands that I turned down with tremendous prejudice.

I stuck to my guns and auditioned with scores of fledgling progressive rock musicians but never got off the ground with any project.

I think at least if I didn't have such a stuck up attitude I could have been marginally successful playing contemporary pop music during the 1980s. Which in retrospect wasn't really that bad.

Who knows how much different my life would have been if I wasn't such a snob back in high school and college.

Archived