Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

What's the speaker stand of choice for putting the SSv3 on its side (main speaker facing up, side facing down)?

This amp stand is the type I use for that configuration.

dB

And I use this one.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Dave, I'm sure Aspen will get you a fully functioning unit.

Hey Bill, in all seriousness, how are you sure about this?

Judging from my experience with him and his excellent reputation for customer service. I suppose I could have used a qualifier, "reasonably" or "98%" or something, so point taken.

I echo this. He helped me with a replacement part. I was impressed.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Played an ALS Awareness gig last week - a 'Hank & Frank': very low energy (sad!), but even though it was a large room, the SSV3 was more than enough, with about 100 people. It's the perfect speaker for auditorium/performing arts center rooms. But I had to find a piece of wood to reflect the side speaker - the curtain was just eating it up.

OK. Can't derail this thread as it has already stretched around the globe. Everyone loves Aspen, Aspen is a great guy, Aspen has a great product, on and on and on. I bought a CPS SS3 before it shipped with the cover, forever ago, and didn't hesitate to pay for the cover even though it became included later with purchase. I get how a manufacturer would help with a replacement part, seems like decent customer service. I just can't understand how any of us would expect a manufacturer to replace an out of warranty unit, regardless of usage, just because that particular person is perceived as being a "nice guy". End of rant. Carry on.

:nopity:

OK. Can't derail this thread as it has already stretched around the globe. Everyone loves Aspen, Aspen is a great guy, Aspen has a great product, on and on and on. I bought a CPS SS3 before it shipped with the cover, forever ago, and didn't hesitate to pay for the cover even though it became included later with purchase. I get how a manufacturer would help with a replacement part, seems like decent customer service. I just can't understand how any of us would expect a manufacturer to replace an out of warranty unit, regardless of usage, just because that particular person is perceived as being a "nice guy". End of rant. Carry on.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I'll try to do better in the future. It was a replacement for a knob that I may very well have broken off due to my carelessness, but he was like "no problem, I'll get you out a replacement panel". He paid shipping both ways.

Perhaps I should have been clearer.

Want to be clear that my post was not directed to you or anyone else specifically. I just feel like sometimes the general consensus is that Aspen will wave a magic wand all all will be well when there is a problem. He has a business to run and it needs to be profitable for him to stay in business. Replacing units out of warrenty is counter productive to that.

:nopity:

Aspen openly praised this forum as a huge key to the success of the SSv3, and loved the way he was treated here. It's not surprising that he went out of his way to take care of members of the forum that had a problem.

dB

He could have easily said "Where did you buy it? Sweetwater? It's still under warranty - send it to them". And that would have been...reasonable. But I would have had to ship the whole unit and be without it for weeks, at great cost. He didn't want me to go through that, so he chose the path easiest for me, not him. I'm grateful, and just like The North, I Remember. If you want to chalk that up to me being a forum member, I suppose, like anything, that's possible.

I'm grateful, and just like The North, I Remember.

:D:cool:

If you want to chalk that up to me being a forum member, I suppose, like anything, that's possible.

I'd even go so far as to say likely from a smart business point of view, which illustrates one of the reasons manufacturers want to use forums for marketing: every positive post on a forum about a product and the experiences actual owners have with it (including quickly resolved service issues) is potentially a powerful grass roots ad - all real testimonials from real people. Arguably way better than any magazine review or print ad... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm grateful, and just like The North, I Remember.

:D:cool:

If you want to chalk that up to me being a forum member, I suppose, like anything, that's possible.

I'd even go so far as to say likely from a smart business point of view, which illustrates one of the reasons manufacturers want to use forums for marketing: every positive post on a forum about a product and the experiences actual owners have with it (including quickly resolved service issues) is potentially a powerful grass roots ad - all real testimonials from real people. Arguably way better than any magazine review or print ad... :thu:

dB

I have to say that long before I was a member of this forum or any forum, Aspen treated me like gold. I just think he really believes in his product and is genuinely thrilled when people catch the "center point fever"....(How's that for a free plug?....lol)

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up from something I was talking about in the QSC thread, and pardon me if it's been discussed here but, you know...

I've read comments about how the SS3 sound doesn't "fall off" with distance as quickly as traditional speakers. This is good to the extent that people farther back still hear you well; but also could be not so good, as that can change the balance between you and the rest of the band, depending on where someone is in the audience.

My question is, how does the fall-off of either of these (SS3 or traditional speaker) compare to the fall-off of unamplified sound, i.e. the drums (typically not mic'd at my gigs)? If my keys on stage are reasonably well balanced with the drums (and there are no keys going through the PA), is that balance between keys and drums as you get further from the stage more closely maintained through an SS3 or through a traditional PA speaker like the QSC/EV/RCF/JBL/Yamaha speakers so many of us use?

Also, where does something like a typical NON-pa style amp fall in this comparison? i.e. the guitar amp? (Or a non-PA style keyboard amp, like a Motion Sound, Traynor, Roland?) A difference being that PA speakers use horns, which project the sound differently than the typical guitar-amp style of non horn loaded drivers simply flat against the front grille. How does their fall off rate compare to both the natural acoustic sound of drums, the fall-off rate of a traditional PA speaker, the fall-off rate of an SS3? It would seem like the flat-against-the-grill speaker should fall off ahead of the horn-loaded speaker, which reports say falls off ahead of the SS3, but how does any of this compare with the drums?

Anyone have any input about any of these scenarios?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Definitely the best setup I've found for the SSV3, when I need more bottom end. The other speaker is the Electro-Voice ZLX-12P, which has a slanted top. But it came packaged with a very thick molded foam that makes it flat. The thin sheet of oak (which I'll paint black) reflects the SSV3 side speaker wonderfully.

http://i.imgur.com/hSLvGdF.jpg

I just bought same amp stand. I thought it is important to line up driver on sub with main driver on SS. Anyone?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

In my experience the fall off of the SS is similar to acoustic drums. Scott, I think you're on Long Island. If so and you would like to hear the SS with acoustic drums, let me know. I have a few gigs coming up where I'll be using the SS with acoustic drums.

Thanks for the info and invitation. I'm actually up in Westchester. Your post reminded me that there's a facebook group where SS3 owners post their gigs, so other people who want to hear it might have a way to check it out nearby. Plus maybe it brings some more people into your gigs. ;-) Maybe you want to check it out... https://www.facebook.com/groups/810801589001231/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I go back and forth between SSv3 with something on top, and a pair of self-powered PAs. It all gets down to the venue and stage situation.

If it's a small venue and a cramped stage, the SSv3 fill is awesome. If ti's a slightly larger venue and stage where I can get by being a bit more directional, it's a pair of self-powered PAs.

As far as sound carrying, yeah, people tell me it's a bit spooky. This one guy told me he was walking around, heard drums and keys, followed the sound and discovered there was a full band. Hard to quantify though.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I go back and forth between SSv3 with something on top, and a pair of self-powered PAs. It all gets down to the venue and stage situation.

If it's a small venue and a cramped stage, the SSv3 fill is awesome. If ti's a slightly larger venue and stage where I can get by being a bit more directional, it's a pair of self-powered PAs.

I could see it being nice to have the flexibility, but for the gigs I do, I rarely know what the stage or room is going to be like until I get there. (Typically, the places I play repeatedly are ones that have their own PAs.) And if you don't know what's going to be there, you kind of have to make a "best compromise" decision before you pack up, because you probably don't want to travel with, for example, the SpaceStation AND a pair of QSC, just so you can decide which to use when you get there. (Though I have posted in the past about traveling with a variable keyboard rig for that purpose, where you might not use all the boards you bring.)

I don't know if you've checked the QSC 8.2 thread, but this is what I've asked about there... If you have a single 8.2, whether you'd enhance it with another 8.2 or an SS3. I won't repeat everything I said there over here, but I'd like to see what you have to say in response to that post, if you get a chance.

As far as sound carrying, yeah, people tell me it's a bit spooky. This one guy told me he was walking around, heard drums and keys, followed the sound and discovered there was a full band. Hard to quantify though.

That backs up Al's experience as well. And it really points out that, even without keys, the band's balance shifts as you get farther from the stage, as the drums carry farther than anything else. So there is no downside to the keys carrying farther with the SS3, they're still not totally outrunning the rest of the band. Well, maybe the downside is that you'd better be playing all the right notes, because the people farther away aren't hearing the other guys covering up your clams. ;-)

I know I'm late with this, but I saw the thread above the fold and remembered.

I ran into Aspen at Gearfest, and he said to tell you all hi.

~ vonnor

p.s. I ran into dB too, but he didn't ask me to do anything. ;)

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I could see it being nice to have the flexibility, but for the gigs I do, I rarely know what the stage or room is going to be like until I get there. (Typically, the places I play repeatedly are ones that have their own PAs.) And if you don't know what's going to be there, you kind of have to make a "best compromise" decision before you pack up, because you probably don't want to travel with, for example, the SpaceStation AND a pair of QSC, just so you can decide which to use when you get there. (Though I have posted in the past about traveling with a variable keyboard rig for that purpose, where you might not use all the boards you bring.)

I don't know if you've checked the QSC 8.2 thread, but this is what I've asked about there... If you have a single 8.2, whether you'd enhance it with another 8.2 or an SS3. I won't repeat everything I said there over here, but I'd like to see what you have to say in response to that post, if you get a chance.

That backs up Al's experience as well. And it really points out that, even without keys, the band's balance shifts as you get farther from the stage, as the drums carry farther than anything else. So there is no downside to the keys carrying farther with the SS3, they're still not totally outrunning the rest of the band. Well, maybe the downside is that you'd better be playing all the right notes, because the people farther away aren't hearing the other guys covering up your clams. ;-)

Sorry, didn't see that. Heading over there now.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 3 weeks later...

Would someone be so kind as to remind me about (or point me to) the details about the production changes of the SSv3. I recall at some point the cabinet construction changed (to/from plywood?) and maybe at the same time Aspen began including the cover for free(?).

This thread is awesome but unwieldy, and I'm having a hard time finding these details. Thanks!

Found an announcement about "version 5." What/when was the version 4 iteration?

I guess the v5 has a semi-official name now.

Big Spacestation Announcement

Announcing the Spacestation v.3 Lite for 2017!

(Which actually looks and sounds exactly like our previous Spacestation v.3, but is 7+ lbs. lighter!)

APD is pleased and excited to announce we have made the popular Spacestation v.3 stereo powered monitor even better by upgrading both the power supply and the cabinet materials. The new SS3 Lite is about 7-10lbs lighter than previous SS3 versions. This weight reduction is due to upgrading the older transformer based power supply with a modern switching or digital power supply unit (DPSU), and also, by changing the cabinet construction over to a lighter, stronger plywood material to replace the MDF particle board material as used in all previous SS3 amps. The new SS3 Lite weighs in at just 32 lbs., or 14.5 kgsbut still packs the identical audio power, tone and punch of all previous SS3 versions!

The new DSPU actually supplies more power reserve for the four SS3 class D audio amps and is also now more convenient as the DPSU is auto-ranging to work anywhere in the world regardless of the AC wall power and without modification. Just plug it into the AC wall outlet and it automatically ranges from 100vac (Japan), 117vac (US/Canada/Mexico), 220vac (Europe) and up to 240 vac (Australia).

We made no changes to the cosmetics or the audio devices, so the sound and performance is identical. The SS3 Lite delivers the same amazing 3D stereo sound everywhere in the room from a single cabinet at 106dB SPL max output.

We did NOT change the 4 class D amps, or the 4 transducers they drive thru our SS3 Lite tri-amped 3-way Front speaker system or our full range Side speaker system. So the sound and performance is identical, as shown in these SPL and frequency charts comparing the audio power and performance of the older to new SS3 Lite at near maximum SPL output levels, Using the same signal source the old and new SS3 Lite performance curves are nearly identical, with just a slightly improved low frequency performance in the newer SS3 Lite (due to the new improved power supply).

The new Spacestation v.3 Lite s is now in dealer showrooms around the world and ready for for immediate delivery. It was debuted at the NAMM 2017 Show and was already in dealer warehouses from the first of the year.

http://aspenpittmandesigns.com/big-spacestation-announcement/

Photos and graphs available at the link.

Pretty sure that's the latest incarnation. There is also an XL model if you feel like you may need more power. I'm very happy with my version 1. Good luck!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Would someone be so kind as to remind me about (or point me to) the details about the production changes of the SSv3. I recall at some point the cabinet construction changed (to/from plywood?)

In a post on 12/22/16, Aspen said that production run #9 of the SS3 was the first to incorporate the new digital switching power supply and plywood cabinet construction that characterize what many people refer to as v.5. I don't think he mentioned the exact dates of production run #9, but his last post on KC (dated 2/3/17) offered this guidance regarding dates and serial numbers:

Hi Aspen,

Could you let us know please how we would identify the 'new' SSv3s (the lighter ones) for when they appear in retail chains...e.g. is there a serial number run to be looking out for?

The last 4 digits of the serial number tell you the month and year of it's production; so Run #10 made in October of last year will read '1016'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm extremely happy with the B1200D as a Sub for the SSv3.

But instead of always tuning down the HF Horn I've decided to run the Sub out of a Bellari RP562 modified with Analog Devices OpAmps x 6 and NOS/NIB RCA 5771 Triple Mica Black Tubes.

Before I let the B1200D do it's roll off of 100hz.

I set it for 200hz on the Bellari and just go direct to there, and a pair of XLR to TS for the SSv3.

Extremely happy.

Aspen might be disappointed as I won't need the XL just yet.

The semi harsh sound I was getting from the horn is now tamed down and dials in everything much better.

If you see one of the 2.1 Tube Exciters grab one and mod it.

I put one on our small club QSC KW Array and it's fantastic.

It's like a multiband Tube Compressor.

IMG_0892.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 2 months later...

I made a couple of 30 foot balanced cables for my Spacestation to get it even further away from me whenever possible. I was using a couple of store-bought unbalanced 20 footers, but that only put it 15 feet away from me, max.

It could be my imagination but using balanced cables seems to make a big difference in the sound. There's a gain increase, and it also sounds fuller, or "rounder". I've gotten the chance to use the entire 30 feet a few times and it really helps to keep my volume in control in low-volume situations. I'm finally getting all of the "bloom", where before I was getting a lot of it, but it was always louder at the audience than at my keyboards.

pOKy8nf.jpg

I use the cable control flex tubing because it's much easier to wrap up two 30 foot cables than if they were separate. Inside this flex tubing it wraps up naturally. I tried two sizes from Harbor Freight - one was too small, one was too large. I found the right size (3/8") at Walmart.

I put 5 speakers (surround sound) 5 miles away, mic it in stereo, then listen via IEM's. But you have to spend at least $2000 on the IEM's or you aren't professional, just saying. Nobody in the world is as professional because I spend more money.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've gotten the chance to use the entire 30 feet a few times...

30 feet is adding about 26 ms of latency. That's becoming noticeable I would expect.

I haven't noticed any.