Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Mr Aspen,

I am 63 years young, I have played music since I was 8 years old.

I have opened up for country stars in various venues

backed up some soul artists

played for mardi gras tableus, and real dives and everything in between

but you know whats on my bucket list??

I would love to meet you in person and hang with you for a while, it may never happen, but to meet the man in person that changed my audio sensation and made playing a joy again by his one product, well that's my nirvana

who knows maybe one trade show or trip we may meet, till then good luck with your lifes journey

God willing, that will happen...you are welcome here at APR studios if you (or any of my many CPS friends anf family here on KC) are EVER in or near SoCal.. Maybe come out for the NAMM show (I will arrange passes).

And while I am at it; THANK YOU ALL for ALL the great birthday wishes guys...deeply appreciated!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Happy Birthday from Vancouver! Isn't it wonderful when you get to do what you were born to do, to such spectacular results.

Yes, I am living the dream...just another day in paradise!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Great idea about the rental program. You might try Long & McQuade in Toronto (where I reside). I have SSv3 and live down the street from them if they want to hear it first.

Thanks, can you find me the right guy to speak with? I would love to get L&M on board for Canada, I was friends with Jack Long in the old days, and spent more than a few days training in their shops...it's a great company.

I live in Calgary and know a number of people at the main Long & McQuade store here. I'd be willing to demonstrate the SSv3 to them locally if that would help. I could get you in touch with the store manager if that would help - because they're a national chain I don't know how much sway he would have regarding buying, etc.. Regardless, PM me if I can help.

Jamie

Thanks SO MUCH Jamie, I will definately follow up w/ a PM and will take you up on that demo for the Calgary store if they are open to it.

Actually I have already had a email exchange with a L&M KB manager who heard the SS3 (a customer bought one and brought it in for him to hear), Frankly, he wanted to carry the SS3...and he tried to introduce me to "corporate". I did my best, but it was a dead end.

Doesn't mean we can't wear them down if enough guys called up and asked why they are not carrying Center Point Stereo and/or offering them for rental.

I know SW and A&A are selling a fair # of them into Canada, and those sales should be theirs!

God willing, it will come to pass...it seems like a natural fit.

Aspen, happy belated birthday!!!!! Live long and prosper!!!!

You, sir are both a genius (I don't throw this word around...)

and a good-hearted man(on the evidence of your correspondance as we've not met in person) and that rarest of breeds, a true craftsman and ethical businessman!!!!!

All the best from a truly happy SSv3 owner!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Just when I thought I had no more question......

As indicated in this thread - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2715474/Advice_for_making_a_demo_audio#Post2715474 - I am planning on creating a demo for my organ trio. We are probably going to make the recording outside (mostly to accommodate the video). I will be running my Mojo into the SS.

So, here is my question: what would be best way to position the mics with regard to the SS? I recall - many pages ago - that someone thought it was difficult to mic the SS for purposes of sending that sound into a PA system. Accordingly, for purposes of making a recording, should we make any attempt to mic the SS at close range? Or should mics just be positioned at some distance?

Firstly: Happy Belated, Aspen!

Second...

I had a similar but not quite as bold issues, my first problem was gain staging with an SM10 , I got rid of that mixer in the chain instead of fighting it I am one one board now, but can go into the others aux input if I need to run two boards

the second was CABLE QUALITY oh I thought I had the best cables possible, Wrong!!I replaced the cables from my keys to the ss and all of a sudden, no more spatial, overload,frequency problems..

I've had an SSv3 and B1200D in my shopping cart for months now, along with an SM10 mixer and Sweetwater-branded cables to start my first rack setup in an SKB Studio Flyer case. I was just about to finalize the order (36 month financing, you win!) when I thought to poke through this thread again first. I noticed the above comments and wondered whether I should I rethink my choice of mixer and/or cables. @HAM&EGZ: Could you or someone else please elaborate on was meant by gain staging issues? Did the SM10 not send a loud enough signal to the SS?

As indicated in this thread - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2715474/Advice_for_making_a_demo_audio#Post2715474 - I am planning on creating a demo for my organ trio. We are probably going to make the recording outside (mostly to accommodate the video). I will be running my Mojo into the SS.

So, here is my question: what would be best way to position the mics with regard to the SS? I recall - many pages ago - that someone thought it was difficult to mic the SS for purposes of sending that sound into a PA system. Accordingly, for purposes of making a recording, should we make any attempt to mic the SS at close range? Or should mics just be positioned at some distance?

I wouldn't mic the SS3 for your sound. Run your stereo signal directly into whatever you're using as a DAW. Run another line or set of lines to the SS3.

For the rest of the sound, use mic splitters, running one to your live-sound mixer and one to your DAW. (Alternatively, some [all?] Grace mic pre's have three outputs: one for monitors, one for FOH, and one for DAW. Call around the City to see about renting one for the day.)

If you want an additional ambient mic or two to capture live sound, that's fine too. Just watch for bleed/feedback. I suppose you could run them M/S and really capture the spirit of the SS3, but a traditional stereo pair will work fine/well/best/quickest.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

For those of you who have been experiencing the low frequency hum issue I thought I would report that I bought an Ebtech Hum-X and I have to say it significantly reduced it. If you've been on the fence about trying one, it's worth a shot. I also have to say that both Aspen and Sweetwater have been very stand up guys in addressing my concerns and I salute them. As for the SS3 after four months I would say that it is not for everyone but for my needs it's pretty close. I mainly run wurli / rhodes and B3 / leslie emulations through it and the results are fine. If I required high volume (which I don't) that would be another matter. I have to say I can't really get an AP sound that works well for me with it but I in fairness I couldn't with other amplification types either. The portability, small footprint, user friendliness and low price make this thing a winner.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

I wouldn't mic the SS3 for your sound. Run your stereo signal directly into whatever you're using as a DAW. Run another line or set of lines to the SS3.

For the rest of the sound, use mic splitters, running one to your live-sound mixer and one to your DAW. (Alternatively, some [all?] Grace mic pre's have three outputs: one for monitors, one for FOH, and one for DAW. Call around the City to see about renting one for the day.)

If you want an additional ambient mic or two to capture live sound, that's fine too. Just watch for bleed/feedback. I suppose you could run them M/S and really capture the spirit of the SS3, but a traditional stereo pair will work fine/well/best/quickest.

+1, great advice! The goal here is to get best sound (and mix potential) to sell the band...and so use direct (or close miced amps & drums) when ever, and where ever possible.

BUT, with any DAW you have nearly unlimited channels...so I really like the idea to ALSO set up a MS "crowd" mic and mix that w/ your directs to give the "live" feel.

BTW, I prefer a MS Stereo mic for the room or crowd mic over X/Y and other styles (no surprise there :>)

...the second was CABLE QUALITY oh I thought I had the best cables possible, Wrong!!I replaced the cables from my keys to the ss and all of a sudden, no more spatial, overload,frequency problems..

@ Ham&EGZ: I'm curious what cables you selected as replacements...

I've been using a pair of very old cables to feed the SS that I built myself probably 20 years or more ago, good quality Belden cable with metal connectors I probably got from Radio Shack or some other electronic store at the time. They seem to work just fine and I've never had problems to speak of, but I'm left wondering if there's something I can do better? I haven't totally bought into the whole Mogami/Monster hype but I've got an open mind about it and I'm sure they're great from a reliability standpoint but I wonder if they really improve the sound (& I know this is a ripe topic for a thread of it's own!).

Sweetwater carries many brands... ProCo, Monster, Hosa, Planet Waves, Rapco, Mogami, etc and I am considering a cable upgrade at some point just to see. So which ones did YOU go with?

Here's an interesting option for angling the SS3:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/big-tipper-knows-all-the-angles

Neat contraption, thanks!

I've been using the SS3 a lot lately as a single monitor firing back at the trio; works great and the surround effect seems to still seep into the audience.

A good bit of tilt-back is needed, and the best solution was cutting the small section of an old shower curtain rod to length, with stool leg rubber tips from the hardware store on each end, used as a prop against the top edge of the back of the SS3.

Tilts back just the right amount now (and I believe that kind of tilt firing back to ceiling and wall areas behind the trio also contributes to the spaciousness of sound) and stays secure on any surface. The rod is lightweight and easily fits in cord bag.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KS212s / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112s MB115 MB210s Neo410

...the second was CABLE QUALITY oh I thought I had the best cables possible, Wrong!!I replaced the cables from my keys to the ss and all of a sudden, no more spatial, overload,frequency problems..

OK actually what I HAD were Hoseas, I went with some Planet Waves and that cured it. If you want to roll your own with good quality cables and connectors I dont see why that would not be fine.I was lazy at that point, wlse I would have rolled my own.

I try to avoid the molded all in one cables, also when I cut the Hoseas up they were very thin cables with minimal shielding and poor dielectrics.

@ Ham&EGZ: I'm curious what cables you selected as replacements...

I've been using a pair of very old cables to feed the SS that I built myself probably 20 years or more ago, good quality Belden cable with metal connectors I probably got from Radio Shack or some other electronic store at the time. They seem to work just fine and I've never had problems to speak of, but I'm left wondering if there's something I can do better? I haven't totally bought into the whole Mogami/Monster hype but I've got an open mind about it and I'm sure they're great from a reliability standpoint but I wonder if they really improve the sound (& I know this is a ripe topic for a thread of it's own!).

Sweetwater carries many brands... ProCo, Monster, Hosa, Planet Waves, Rapco, Mogami, etc and I am considering a cable upgrade at some point just to see. So which ones did YOU go with?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I've been using the SS3 a lot lately as a single monitor firing back at the trio; works great and the surround effect seems to still seep into the audience.

A good bit of tilt-back is needed, and the best solution was cutting the small section of an old shower curtain rod to length, with stool leg rubber tips from the hardware store on each end, used as a prop against the top edge of the back of the SS3.

Tilts back just the right amount now (and I believe that kind of tilt firing back to ceiling and wall areas behind the trio also contributes to the spaciousness of sound) and stays secure on any surface. The rod is lightweight and easily fits in cord bag.

re: the big tipper - I'd think if you're running ss3 alone, you might want LF coupling to the floor (depending on surface, of course), this seems to intentionally isolate sound from the floor if I read it correctly.

and i'm 95% sure the ss3 owner manual cautions against taking it in the shower with you :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

re: the big tipper - I'd think if you're running ss3 alone, you might want LF coupling to the floor (depending on surface, of course), this seems to intentionally isolate sound from the floor if I read it correctly.

and i'm 95% sure the ss3 owner manual cautions against taking it in the shower with you :)

Yes indeed, totally agree, when running it alone - but in this case, it is a monitor firing back at a trio, K8s or K10s are firing forward along with a bass amp and sometimes a sub, so LFs aren't needed in the SS3 in this config. (Seems a bit of key info about the front-firing stuff was omitted from the original post, eh?)

Man, your shower advice is definitely well taken, but it sounds so good in the shower, I'd hate to give that up . . . plus it's no doubt the cleanest SS3 in the country :)

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KS212s / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112s MB115 MB210s Neo410

Lots of gig reports here going back a zillion pages, but I thought I'd add one anyway.

Jazz standards at a local winery. Piano, bass, drums, myself on sax (I also play jazz piano, but I stayed on sax this time and we had another keyboard player) and female vocalist. Challenging room - concrete floor and lots of bare walls. Think high school gymnasium.

I brought my SS for the keyboard player to try and set it about eight feet from the keyboard, on the floor near a wall. I angled it to get a nice reflection off the wall from the side speaker - and to give the band and audience what I thought would be the best "bloom" effect.

The keyboard player was skeptical of the placement being so far away - he didn't think the band would be able to hear it. Also he thought it wouldn't cover the room adequately. I told him that this amp worked differently from others, and that I'd run a feed to the mains in case we needed a little more for the room. The keyboard player uses a Roland RD300 and usually uses a Yamaha Stagepass system for stage monitoring, which he just runs in mono. I insisted on a stereo feed from his RD300 for the SS of course. Did some adjusting as he played for sound check, and wound up with volume set at 11:00, width about 11:00, mid/high and high freq. both around 2:00.

End of the first set, I asked him if he wanted to switch back to his Yamaha system and he said no, the SS was working great - he commented on how full and clear it sounded. Everybody else said they could hear the piano just fine onstage and it sounded good in the room to me too. I did wind up putting a little piano in the mains, as one end of the room opened out to an outside lawn area that I was covering with one of the mains. Had it just been the main (enclosed) room, I think the SS would have been enough on its own. I didn't use a sub of any kind since we had a bass player on the gig. So for this relatively low volume jazz gig (150 or so in the audience) the SS worked great. Can't wait to try it on the next gig.

My first gig with the SS is tomorrow night. I'm bringing the SA really mini tremor sub, only because the kick on my drum machine makes the SS fart even at fairly low volume here in the house, and with a plug in the sub-out. I do really like the keyboard out of the SS alone, but with the drums it needs the extra punch of that little sub. I'm just ecstatic with how the whole rig sounds here at home; if it sounds that good at the gig, I might need a cigarette when I'm done.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

My first gig with the SS is tomorrow night. I'm bringing the SA really mini tremor sub, only because the kick on my drum machine makes the SS fart even at fairly low volume here in the house, and with a plug in the sub-out. I do really like the keyboard out of the SS alone, but with the drums it needs the extra punch of that little sub. I'm just ecstatic with how the whole rig sounds here at home; if it sounds that good at the gig, I might need a cigarette when I'm done.

Hope you need that cigarette. I think you were smart to invest the time to get comfortable with the sound and the dynamics at home before taking it out. There's a ramp with the SSv.3, and not everyone is aware or willing to take the time.

I liked mine so much, I bought a second one for my second rig.

I've decided that the fundamental challenge with the SSv.3 is that in most situations, you the player don't get to hear the rich, full sound that everyone else hears -- unless you can place the amp at a distance from your own ears.

Makes me want to bring some monitors just for me :)

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I've decided that the fundamental challenge with the SSv.3 is that in most situations, you the player don't get to hear the rich, full sound that everyone else hears -- unless you can place the amp at a distance from your own ears.

Is this really the case? Because if I were interested in getting a new amp, you would have just talked me out of considering an SSv3.

Is this really the case? Because if I were interested in getting a new amp, you would have just talked me out of considering an SSv3.

Talking you out of a SSv3 is not my goal. I'm a huge fan :)

For me, the reality is that in most gigs, the SSv.3 is maybe 1-3 feet from my ears. No room for "bloom", you end up hearing the 8" front driver plus the tweeter, with a bit of stereo fill. Step away 4-6 feet, and you hear something quite different.

If you go through the thousands of posts here, you'll often pick up on the same thing -- a bit of distance is required to appreciate what it really sounds like, unlike traditional unidirectional amps.

This characteristic is not entirely unique to a SSv.3, it's just more pronounced. Like anything else, it's just something to be aware of.

For example, playing a gig last weekend with the SSv.3 maybe 2 feet from my ears, I ended up dialing up way too much volume. I should have known better, but I just forgot.

Another gig, I was able to place the SSv.3 about five feet from my ears. No problemo.

The reality for me these days is that we often play teeny tiny stages where we all fit in like Tetris pieces. Your mileage may vary :)

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I know you like the amp, as many here do. And I've never seen or heard one, so I can't comment on the sound. Also, I have tons of respect for a guy like Aspen that pretty much singlehandedly designs and markets something new and different like the SS. I've never been comfortable with dismissive posts or complaints about anyone's heartfelt efforts. It's clear he's got a different, innovative product and I hope he sells a ton of them.

Having said that, I can't help coming away with a few thoughts after reading some of the posts here. First is, when I play a real acoustic piano, the sound is produced pretty close to my ears. I need a sense of "immediacy" for me to feel right as I'm playing. I'm not sure that having to listen to an amp that's more than a few feet from me, with the stereo spatial effect coming from sound bouncing off walls, is going to give me the immediacy that I need. The portion of your post I quoted speaks to that "you the player don't get to hear the rich, full sound that everyone else hears -- unless you can place the amp at a distance from your own ears." The other thing is that, as I understand it, the front speaker is giving you mono (L+R). That's too bad because my particular piano sounds like shit in mono!

Again, I haven't heard the amp. I could be wrong about my takeaway from this thread. It would be my pleasure to admit I'm wrong! I hope I get a chance to try an SS3 at some point. I have to say, though, that I'm completely happy with my two K8s they have wide dispersion, fantastic LF response for a smaller woofer, and tons of headroom. In small clubs (which is where most of local gigs are), I can usually place them so they cover me, the bandstand and the audience effectively. You never know, though... maybe some day I'll try sending a Leslie sim organ or Rhodes tremolo through an SS and be completely blown away to the point where I'll get one to augment the Ks!

The first time I tried the SS at home, my wife said it sounded like there was a real piano in the room. The 3D sound continued outside the room as well. If the SS is too close to to me I tend to have the SS up too loud at first. When there is enough room I place the SS at least 6 feet away from me and I can hear the "bloom" like everyone else. I also place the amp on it's side on an amp stand at an angle so the side speaker is bouncing off the floor. Works just as well as standing upright and the side speaker isn't going straight to the drummer or bassist. Ray
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

I know you like the amp, as many here do. And I've never seen or heard one, so I can't comment on the sound. Also, I have tons of respect for a guy like Aspen that pretty much singlehandedly designs and markets something new and different like the SS. I've never been comfortable with dismissive posts or complaints about anyone's heartfelt efforts. It's clear he's got a different, innovative product and I hope he sells a ton of them.

Having said that, I can't help coming away with a few thoughts after reading some of the posts here. First is, when I play a real acoustic piano, the sound is produced pretty close to my ears. I need a sense of "immediacy" for me to feel right as I'm playing. I'm not sure that having to listen to an amp that's more than a few feet from me, with the stereo spatial effect coming from sound bouncing off walls, is going to give me the immediacy that I need. The portion of your post I quoted speaks to that "you the player don't get to hear the rich, full sound that everyone else hears -- unless you can place the amp at a distance from your own ears." The other thing is that, as I understand it, the front speaker is giving you mono (L+R). That's too bad because my particular piano sounds like shit in mono!

Again, I haven't heard the amp. I could be wrong about my takeaway from this thread. It would be my pleasure to admit I'm wrong! If I get a chance to try an SS3, I definitely will. I have to say, though, that I'm completely happy with my two K8s they have wide dispersion, fantastic LF response for a smaller woofer, and tons of headroom. In small clubs (which is where most of local gigs are), I can usually place them so they cover me, the bandstand and the audience effectively. You never know, though... maybe some day I'll try sending a Leslie sim organ or Rhodes tremolo through an SS and be completely blown away to the point where I'll get one to augment the Ks!

I know exactly what you mean about needing to feel that 'immediacy', especially with AP's. In my practice room, I've got the amp about 6' away, and I play probably 95% AP's. The way the amp fills the room, you just hear it all around you.

To try it out in a different surrounding, I set it up with the CP4 in my bigger dining room. After just a little tweaking, between the sound and the feel of the CP4 it was like I had a real grand piano in there. And I am very picky about my piano sound -- I can't tell you how many systems I've been through trying to find a live sound that I am happy with and didn't break the bank.

I was very apprehensive about this amp before buying, too -- just check my history in this thread. But once I hooked this rig up, all doubts were gone. It's not going to have quite the headroom of your K8's, but the SS does disburse and project sound very differently than traditional speakers. I'll have much more to say about how it behaves on a live gig in a small/medium sized venue after tomorrow night.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

It all depends on your own needs and how you use your amp. If you are in your home or are playing on deep stages, then you can hear what others hear. If you play on cramped club stages where you have your amp right behind you, then you will not enjoy the "bloom" that distance requires. You may also piss off the drummer who is getting an earful of the side speaker.

Like most everyone on this thread agrees... It's not for everyone.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D