Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

some guys have fashioned a couple of small panels taped together (just high enough for the side speaker, maybe 12" high and 18" wide) to form a "V" corner placed behind the SS3.

Does anyone who has done this have any pics of placements like this that has worked ok?

A Boogie-Woogie Video:

It's not stereo, it's "3D," which is not at all the same thing.

This is from a while ago but I've been thinking of this since reading it. When you think about it acoustic instruments are more 3D then stereo so the SSv3 really creates a more realistic stereo and as stated, everyone in the room can enjoy this rather than the sweet spot of conventional stereo speakers.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

It's not stereo, it's "3D," which is not at all the same thing.

This is from a while ago but I've been thinking of this since reading it. When you think about it acoustic instruments are more 3D then stereo so the SSv3 really creates a more realistic stereo and as stated, everyone in the room can enjoy this rather than the sweet spot of conventional stereo speakers.

Very insightful. All of our traditional "live" instruments are mostly point sources (horns, B3 leslie, acoustic piano).

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Go to one of these folk type festivals or acoustic events. When I say acoustic

I mean no amplifier. You will not hear any hard left right stuff much really. What you will

Hear is more of the 3 D experince.

I think that's kind of what u get from this speaker.

But,maybe that's just me.

Thanks Aspen i made a panel and what is a good wedge? The foot stops?

Also put the SS in front of the sub or beside it? But, up front.

Personally I like the SS3 on the floor in FRONT of the sub. Subs are non directional, so it doesn't mater if you place it sideways and used it's flat side as a "wall" for the SS3...you can even lean and tilt the SS3 against it if you want more projection for out of door events.

Otherwise to "tilt it", and in the case I do not have a wall to lean it up against (best), I use a common trailer tire chock, that rubber wedge shape thing used to keep a trailer from rolling. Available at any Pep Boys. Place it under the front bottom edge and move it back and forth to change the angle. But most anything will do, I used to have a small scrap 8" piece of common 2x4 covered in rubber, and that worked well too.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Just got the SSv3. Without any connections except the AC there is a small, continuous buzz / humming out of the Speakers regardless on the position of the Speaker Contour and/or the CPS Control. It's a bit harsh and seem to be the double of the AC Hz (i.e. 100 Hz). When I had the stereo-ins connected to my RD800 with Level control at noon, the buzz/hum increases with the Width control. Is that normal, or must the SSv3 be retoured to the deliverer?

You should try an Ebtech Hum-X. I had a similar problem, now the SSv3 is stone cold quiet.

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

On another note I never needed a DI since most consoles had digital snakes, perfect for an XITE-1.

But recently worked with old school guys using all analog gear so I needed a stereo splitter.

This unit used on ebay for 80 bucks was surprisingly well made and from a reputable company.

Anyone needing analog splitter capabilities and then some might like this with the SSv3.

http://www.henryengineering.com/patchbox.html

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

On another note I never needed a DI since most consoles had digital snakes, perfect for an XITE-1.

But recently worked with old school guys using all analog gear so I needed a stereo splitter.

This unit used on ebay for 80 bucks was surprisingly well made and from a reputable company.

Anyone needing analog splitter capabilities and then some might like this with the SSv3.

http://www.henryengineering.com/patchbox.html

I know this company, GREAT products for reasonable prices which is owned and operated by another one man company founded by Hank Landsberg.

Hank makes everything here in So Cal, USA. It's not easy today to compete with the imports, but he's found success making problem solving products that really help interfacing our various audio sources.

Hank is top notch engineer and a fellow member of the Hollywood Sapphire Group (founded by audio engineering legends like Les Paul, Harry Olsen and Bill Putman back in 1946 (I was Chair of Sapphire Group for about 7 years, retiring this year to focus all my energy on CPS.)

I can endorse anything that Henry Engineering makes, to do exactly what he says it does. I have several of his boxes in my APR Studios. Highly recommended!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Always go with small company's since they are more concerned with quality vrs.quantity.

Solaris, the XITE-1, EML-101 (Long Beach circa '70s) Studio Electronics (SoCal), Ashby, Henry Engineering and of course you too.

Nothing ever goes wrong, but if it does I know the person who made/designed the unit replies instead of folks with accents, etc.

Henrys' Digital to Analog, and Digital to Digital Converters are also products I use.

When it comes to sound quality why go with the lowest bidder..?

This makes no sense to me.

Thanks again for making performing more controllable and enjoyable.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

What's the consensus on storing the CPS in winter conditions. Here in Southern Ontario the ambient temperature can get as low as -20 degrees Celcius (-2 F for others). So should the CPS be stored above a garage concrete floor with its cover?

Do any of the users in wintery areas have any suggestions for winter usage, storage of the CPS?

Thanks

Mark Pigott

Centre Point Stereo Monitor

10" mini tremor sub

Too soon to tell.

I have one in an unheated storage unit that will brave New England winters this year. It gets down to 0 F occasionally, and stays below freezing for weeks on end. My Nord boards are there as well.

Not too worried. My cars survive, my house survives -- I expect my electronics to survive. As long as it's dry, that is :)

Scarier is my Florida gig. I store my equipment in my garage, which is next to a beach, so there's salt encrustation everywhere. I'm expecting it's not going to end well. I'm keeping everything in sealed cases, hoping for the best.

We'll see.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I think cold storage is probably okay. Electronic components commonly have operating temps down to -40C, up to +105C. The worst thing is probably high temperature in combination with high humidity such as in an outside storage shed or trailer in Florida during the summer. Possibly a closed garage may qualify. Things corrode under these conditions.

Electronics can be made to withstand high heat and humidity but this is uncommon for consumer equipment. Generally it would be for military or commercial markets where the equipment is required to be tested under these conditions as part of certification.

I've had mine since last winter and stored it in my unheated garage with all my other gear. I've never had a problem leaving anything out there, though if its going to be super cold I bring the keyboards inside.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

This may be tin-foil-hat stuff, but I used to keep a speaker cabinet in my garage and one cold winter night I loaded it in my trunk, drove to a gig, plugged it in and heard "fuzz" the sound of a voice coil rubbing against a magnet. I surmised that the cold temperatures had contracted the magnet assembly a little and since there isn't that much clearance between the voice coil and magnet to begin with, the amount of "shrinkage" was enough to cause them to make contact. I wound up needing to recone the speaker.

Of course, it might have been a coincidence maybe the speaker was just on its way out. Maybe speaker design has changed since back when this happened (this was many years ago) and most modern speakers wouldn't do this. All I know is that, on really cold nights I transport my QSC K8s in the back seat of my car, not the trunk. When I get to the gig, one of the first things I do is plug them in and turn them on (with levels at 0) to get current flowing as I set up the rest of my rig.

Salt---argh! I lived on a cliff near puerto Vallarta for one year, and my macbookpro died--corroded logic board; my piano has rust on the strings and the pedals; my mackie CPU died; my audio interface developed horrible noise...

Yeah, but what a view!

Salt---argh! I lived on a cliff near puerto Vallarta for one year, and my macbookpro died--corroded logic board; my piano has rust on the strings and the pedals; my mackie CPU died; my audio interface developed horrible noise...
I live right on the ocean in a town just south of San Francisco. The city engineer once called it the most corrosive environment on earth. Everything metal rusts - stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, everything. It's not just the salt in the air, it's also the crud in the air that glues the salt to your precious instruments. I keep my gear in closets. I can't leave my saxes set up out in the open like other players. It's only a matter of time that the corrosion builds up on them anyway and I have to have my tech remove as much as he can. The only gear I leave set up in my house is the cheap Casio WK-6600 keyboard for working out tunes.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Some years ago my sax player buddy lived on a houseboat in King Harbor. He had his horns, his PA and a couple of keyboards there. Nothing really died but he kept the electronic stuff in a small closet covered in towels and blankets to absorb moisture. It seemed to work ok but the screws and connectors on his JBL cabs which were sitting in the open were very rusty looking but they still worked but even on the water SoCal is not as hot and humid as Florida or PV in the summer. We went down to PV one year in August just to see what it was like. Lots of thunder thumpers, and it was basically 95/95.

Back to the SS, I did a rehearsal with a new band yesterday in a medium sized heavy metal/welding shop. That was different. It's another classic 60's/70's rock band so it was all B3 and just loud enough to push the SS right to the edge. I used my SK1 with the Vent and it sounded soooo good. The other guys were very impressed asking me all about my rig from the amp to the Hammond and Vent. The bass player owns the shop and he's a pro. He said he's worked with lots of organ players and nothing they used came close to the sound I had.

I used the SK1 by itself for an hour then hooked up the Vent so I could really hear the difference. They thought the SK1 by itself sounded great but the Vent really took it to another level. I have to say the difference was huge at least to me as a B3 fanatic. It burbled and roared and sounded awesome but the star of the rig was the SS. The guys could not believe the sound and power I was getting out of something that size although I'll say if I gig with them I'll probably have to use the sub out to the PA. Their wives were walking around the shop and they told me they heard the organ clearly all over the place. Lots of reflecting surfaces in a metal shop.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

You should try an Ebtech Hum-X. I had a similar problem, now the SSv3 is stone cold quiet.

Ditto dat. Had a hum in the house. Not horribly loud -- couldn't hear it when I was playing, but could definitely hear it across the room when I wasn't. Hum-X just arrived tonight, and it knocked out about 90% of the noise. Now it's just a quite little hum that you just about have to stick your head into the speaker cone to hear.

Oh, and Amazon has it for $51.41. Yeah.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

The Ebtech didn't solve the noise in my SSv3, which is higher frequency and increases with volume in the side speaker. I suspect the source is a dimmer switch, and not a ground issue. But it's just audible in the SSv3, none of the other amps/speakers.
Hammond A3 . Leslie 3300w . MODX