Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I just call it sonic voodoo. I can tell you what it's not. It's not as simple as the side speaker throwing the L & R stereo signal from the front and back sides of the speaker. Aspen shot that completely down. It's something to do with a DSP processing thing that someway combines the two sides of a stereo signal and then projects it out in FRONT of the speaker. This is why Aspen keeps saying the farther out in front you get the bigger the stereo field is. It literally blooms out into your listening space. It's not a narrow sweet spot like you get with the normal two speaker setup we're all familiar with.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I told myself not to mess with things before this gig...I've waited this long, I can wait another week...but NOOOOO...I couldn't help myself.

Turns out not to be a huge task on my PC3. I programmed a variation on the Horowitz Grand, and used it on most of my Setups where AP is used. I also use Fagen Phaser in a lot of Setups, so at least I don't have to go through 20 piano/EP patches to make changes.

It appears that panning/stereo occurs mostly in the Program Mode/Output page, where you assign Pan, Pan Mode, & Pan Table per layer. The Pan Mode of MIDI shifts sounds L and R of the Pan assignment, i.e. set pan to 0, and notes above and below middle C get shifted. Rather, I thought the thing to do is set Pan Mode to Auto, then set up a Pan Table to one of the factory piano presets tables, except none of the piano defaults is set up this way; they're all configured to +MIDI, no preset tables are defined, and the Pan settings differ by layer. Making things even more difficult, each layer is defined by keymaps, some of which are designated as R and some as L. Pretty daunting...

At this point, neither the AP or EP sounds bad listening through stereo speakers, and there seems to be separation based on what octave/register I'm playing in. I'm wondering if I should just follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim.

Maybe I wait for the SS and see what happens.

"May you stay...forever young."

L+R out of the front, L-R out of the side. None of the waves cancel each other out so they are free to fly about the room making made love to the fans adoring your keyboard playing!!

that's how I like to think of it working. :)

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Behringer Eurolive B-1200D PRO

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

www.endlesssummertheband.com

L+R out of the front, L-R out of the side. None of the waves cancel each other out so they are free to fly about the room making made love to the fans adoring your keyboard playing!!

that's how I like to think of it working. :)

That, and I've noticed that the speakers have unusually wide dispersion angles. Aspen could provide the specifics, but once you get even a few feet away the mixing starts, and it's all balanced stereo from there -- almost everywhere. Even outdoors, which I found surprising.

It's been mentioned many times before, but -- one more time: you need much less volume to be heard, even at a distance. When I first got my SSv3, I was setting levels like a normal amp -- and blasting everyone out in the process.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Been following the posts here on the Keyboard Forum since shortly after ordering my V.3 back in October. Don't know if the keys players will think I'm crazy, but I have long used a Roland KC 350 as the amp of choice for my acoustic guitars, and that's why I ordered the SpaceStation after doing some research on it.

Got a call from my Sweetwater rep on Tuesday to let me know it had been shipped, and the FedEx truck made the delivery today before 11:00 a.m.

Still have some tweaking to do with the mixer, but my first impression is that it is light years ahead of anything I've ever used for the acoustics. Had a buddy come by when I was doing some initial set up and fooling with it, and he kept walking to spots all around my basement saying : "That little thing can't be putting out sound like that!"

I play with a small acoustic group, and this is going to be the stage amp everyone will run into from the mixer. Going to be fun fooling with this one & tweaking it over the next few weeks.

It's been mentioned many times before, but -- one more time: you need much less volume to be heard, even at a distance. When I first got my SSv3, I was setting levels like a normal amp -- and blasting everyone out in the process.

..and, the added side benefit of being able to converse easily with your band members during a tune - not just because of the volume level, but because of the way it reproduces sound. Gotta love that.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Received mine yesterday. Not much time, but my initial impressions are very favorable. I'll put it thru its paces today and will hold off on writing a "review" till after a bar gig next week. In the meantime, I have a useful piece of info and a question for Aspen/other users.

Good news: the SKB Small Rolling Powered Mixer Soft Case (SKB 1SKB-SCPM1)is an absolute perfect fit. I mean it couldn't fit better if it had been designed specifically for the V3. The bad news is Guitar Center no longer sells it for $78. They've raised it to $119, which seems to be about the same as all the usual suspects - with the exception of Sweetwater, where for some reason it's a special order and costs $139. Thought when mine arrived that it was a steal at $78. Sho' nuff.

Has anyone else noticed that the 1/4" jacks all seem to be TRS? I have a Behringer 1200D powered sub with all XLR connectors. I thought I'd have to make two XLR to mono 1/4" cables (1 & 3 to sleeve) but impatient as I am, I wanted to hear them together NOW. I grabbed a couple pre-made XLR/TRS just in case... Click, click! I swear I felt 2 connections going in. I used the balanced cables as is and they worked just fine. (tho' the sub sounded fuller with the phase reverse switch engaged) Inserting a mono 1/4", I again think I feel a TRS jack. Anybody else? There is no mention in the manual of these being balanced connections (the sub out feels the same); I wonder if the ring and sleeve are shorted together internally?

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

I first ordered the SKB 1SKB-SCPM1 from SW at $119 until someone on the forum told me it was available from GC at $78. Glad I ordered from GC early. I've had it for 3 months now waiting for the SS. Hope the SS arrives today. Ray

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

look what I got today!!MMMUUUUUUUUAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Thanks again for your purchase. We have been notified by FedEx that they have delivered your order. We hope that you enjoy your new Center Point Stereo keyboard amp!

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Been following the posts here on the Keyboard Forum since shortly after ordering my V.3 back in October. Don't know if the keys players will think I'm crazy, but I have long used a Roland KC 350 as the amp of choice for my acoustic guitars, and that's why I ordered the SpaceStation after doing some research on it.

Got a call from my Sweetwater rep on Tuesday to let me know it had been shipped, and the FedEx truck made the delivery today before 11:00 a.m.

Still have some tweaking to do with the mixer, but my first impression is that it is light years ahead of anything I've ever used for the acoustics. Had a buddy come by when I was doing some initial set up and fooling with it, and he kept walking to spots all around my basement saying : "That little thing can't be putting out sound like that!"

I play with a small acoustic group, and this is going to be the stage amp everyone will run into from the mixer. Going to be fun fooling with this one & tweaking it over the next few weeks.

MLBob, you are crazy, like a fox. I made the SS v.3 for EVERY sort of stereo engine, and it is the perfect transmission for every sort of live performance. Acoustic guitar with chorus and reverb are extremely happy thru my little box. You will love a SINGLE mix reference that you and your partners hear EXACTLY the same, is a wonderful thing. You will be blended and feel the balance like never before, and you will be comforted knowing it is the same mix your audience hears.

I think you will enjoy your first gig. You, and your audience, will feel like you are a truly listening to an organic acoustic band. The usual difficulties of "going electric" will fade away and your music will benefit too. I think we all perform better if we can take our minds "off the gear", and focus "on the art". CPS allows you to do just that, whether a KB or vocal or acoustic guitar..or all together...it changes our comfort level for playing live venues.

You will use it for your stage amp for all instruments...and that's great. So I assume you will use the house PA for vocals...also great (if they have a decent PA). But I would encourage you, for those smaller gigs, to just bring a decent mixer along and use the SS v.3 for EVERYTHING; KBs, guitars, bass, vocals...it is really a GREAT vocal system too! You will hear your vocal harmonies like never before...it is a blast.

However, when using mics thru the SS v.3, my only caution is speaker placement. This is more critical that with KB players because you have open mics, that WILL feedback if you crank it up too high. The 300 degree sound field cuts both ways, and can cause feedback issues if your mics are too close to the v.3. This is especially true of the Side speaker (where the wettest parts of that verb will be emanating from).

Even though the v.3 is very "flat", and so less likely to ring out, all PA systems will have it's SPL "danger point" where the mics interact with the speaker to produce that awful feedback.

So, if this ever becomes an issue (and it may not if you usually do not play "loud), then best to find a spot far stage left or right, or if you have a deep stage set it well back. If you can find a distant corner, use the corner to disperse the Front/Side speakers.

I had an acoustic trio playing in a club a few years ago that had an old upright piano in the restaurant. I placed it (at that time a MK2) under the keyboard, tilted back against the lower sound board and is was just AMAZING! (me thinks that old piano was happy too : >)

Also, for small bars and clubs, I have installed the SS in the ceiling and it covers the whole stage and audience amazing well, yet sill allows "bar chatter" so the bar sells more drinks! FYI, in this ceiling installation application, I recommend hanging it as close to the ceiling as possible and "upside down", so the Side couples better with the ceiling and the stereo image "blooms" wider and just better.

The club owner love it too because it frees up floor space when you eliminate both the PA cabs and possibly the monitors too. Also, since you can run ANY instrument thru the SS v.3, in many cases you can leave most all the amps at home (except the drums and maybe bass it you are not running a sub). But the more sound sources you run thru the SS v.3, the better you will all monitor your blend and mix "naturally", as it should be!

Then there is the added advantage of having ONE level control for the whole band that doesn't change "the mix". For those times when the bar owner says "turn it down", or the audience says "turn it up". Whichever comes first.

Last thought/question; do you, or anyone reading this, know of an acoustic forum like this amazing KC site? I'd like to poke my nose in there too once you get going with your CPS acoustic gig reports....which I think will be our next chapter for the SS v.3. (sorry all if this reply seems off topic, but I think I may be OK since I am responding to a post)

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Got it going and it sounds great!!! you know, its like when you go to a movie and the screen is cool, then you go to a 3D movie and it is really cool, this is like 3D headphones for your ears!!!!!! Love it Aspen I think you got a winner here!

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Our UPS normally doesn't deliver until evening, but this morning my SS arrived @ 9:50, 10 minutes before I walked out the door. I opened it, gave it a quick look, then threw it in my new skb case (you would think it was made for the SS) and packed up my rig. I'm in a hotel for a few days, but will have plenty of time to (quietly) have fun with it.

Thanks to Aspen for the ongoing dialog throughout our collective waiting period. This is going to be fun!

James

Just received my SS. My practice piano, (RD-150), sounds great through the SS. EPs sound wonderful. APs sound very good also. This is really worth the cost and more. Have to go to GC now to get new patch cords. Present ones are pretty old. Ray
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

. . .

Good news: the SKB Small Rolling Powered Mixer Soft Case (SKB 1SKB-SCPM1)is an absolute perfect fit. I mean it couldn't fit better if it had been designed specifically for the V3. The bad news is Guitar Center no longer sells it for $78. They've raised it to $119, which seems to be about the same as all the usual suspects - with the exception of Sweetwater, where for some reason it's a special order and costs $139. Thought when mine arrived that it was a steal at $78. Sho' nuff.

. . .

It's still $78 with free ship at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Rolling-Powered-wheels-Handle/dp/B000Z2OC2U

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KS212s / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112s MB115 MB210s Neo410

It finally arrived 7:30 pm!! Fed Ex must have been busy today with the storm... Now I have a few days to play with it before my gig Saturday - more in a bit!

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

It finally arrived 7:30 pm!! Fed Ex must have been busy today with the storm... Now I have a few days to play with it before my gig Saturday - more in a bit!

OK. It's 7:55.

Where's your review? :/

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

"And this is assuming this shipment isn't also sold out so I would call SW right now. Seriously, have you read a bad review yet?"

Thanks--no, I haven't. It's just a little more difficult for me to maneuver than for some--I live in rural Central Mexico for one thing, with the price bump since Jan it makes duties and shipping even more to pay. And for some reason I can't get approved for the SW credit card and take advantage of the 24 month/no interest financing which I really hoped I could...

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

ok so just got back from a gig mostly salsa music but the horns on my m50 sound amazing!! the strings are really full and the guys in the band say it sounds amazing, and the drummer who is usually behind my amp says that this is the first time he could hear the keyboards so I am happy!!

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

I played for about an hour tonight, introducing myself to my new SS. Being that I played in my living room, I know I didn't get the full benefits but it still sounded quite nice (I haven't played through any other keyboard amp so I can't compare).

Oh, about whether you need an external sub. My bass sounded decent enough without it but I was missing a lot of depth that I'm used to with my church's digital organ. So I plugged in my humble $100 Pioneer sub and wow! wow! wow! What a difference. You'd definitely want to consider it if you play bass.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3