Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX-5S Music Rest

tomson

Is it true that there is no accommodation on the PX-5S for a music rest? I really don't want to carry around a stand and have it plopped in front of me. Does anyone have another solution? Thanks, Tom

Norwich NY 13815

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum.

It's true, unfortunately. If you don't want to have a stand in front of you, your options are limited. You can get stands that clip/bolt on to your keyboard stand, or you can use a tablet.

There are loads of apps for the iPad, that let you read sheet music, and/or lyrics.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Yes it is true. There is a rumor that if you pried off the decorative strip on top, the music rest holes from another model using the same chassis would appear.

Nobody I know has reported on this.

I think these reports are tongue-in-cheek/wishful thinking Moe. :laugh::laugh:

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Yes it is true. There is a rumor that if you pried off the decorative strip on top, the music rest holes from another model using the same chassis would appear.

Nobody I know has reported on this.

I think these reports are tongue-in-cheek/wishful thinking Moe. :laugh::laugh:

SSM

Since the PX-5S has essentially the same chassis as the PX-350, I would expect the music rest slot to be present underneath the plastic strip - however, removing the strip would probably knock an immediate $100 or more off the resale value! :eek:

A temporary solution I adopted was to place two Command Damage-Free Hanging Picture Clips on the plastic strip, correctly spaced to allow insertion of the music rest from my SV-1. Not perfect, but it worked, as long as I didn't try to place heavy books on it. I made a much more robust solution for my RD-64 using a Nord extra wide stand. (That involved angle brackets and Velcro etc., but it was rock solid in use.)

Since the PX-5S has essentially the same chassis as the PX-350, I would expect the music rest slot to be present underneath the plastic strip - however, removing the strip would probably knock an immediate $100 or more off the resale value! :eek:

Maybe Mike Martin will chip in on this. If the OP doesn't intend to sell his PX-5S, it may be worth him trying it.

SSM

If one could get the precise locations of the holes (if they indeed exist) then one could drill out the appropriate size hole in the blue strip without removing it. The measurements would need to be perfect though :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I'm about to remove the plastic strip in my paint prep for my PX-5S. If you can wait a day, I'll confirm if the holes are there as on my PX350. Further, if you carefully remove the strip, you can reattach if you want to sell the board.

I'm reattaching it after paint.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I mention the warranty issue because it was brought up in the FB group by the Aussie dist. as being a potential issue with this mod. Looking at the warranty language, it does appear it could be a reason to deny a claim:

"The customer shall NOT have any claim under this warranty for repair or adjustment expenses if:

(5) The case or battery is damaged or worn."

I in no way speak for Casio, I am just reporting what has been discussed elsewhere... just urging caution until we know for sure about the warranty before someone pries open off the strip. The Privias have a 3 year warranty in the US & Canada.. I would hate to have someone void it before getting confirmation.

I mention the warranty issue because it was brought up in the FB group by the Aussie dist. as being a potential issue with this mod. Looking at the warranty language, it does appear it could be a reason to deny a claim:

"The customer shall NOT have any claim under this warranty for repair or adjustment expenses if:

I in no way speak for Casio, I am just reporting what has been discussed elsewhere... just urging caution until we know for sure about the warranty before someone pries open off the strip. The Privias have a 3 year warranty in the US & Canada.. I would hate to have someone void it before getting confirmation.

Excellent point. It all comes down the individuals comfort level. You know mine ;)

If the strip is removed as one piece, it should be easy to reattach it without tell tale sings of it being removed at all.

David

If one could get the precise locations of the holes (if they indeed exist) then one could drill out the appropriate size hole in the blue strip without removing it. The measurements would need to be perfect though :D

I don't think there would be holes, as the PX-350 doesn't have holes - just a slot.

Excellent point. It all comes down the individuals comfort level. You know mine ;)

If the strip is removed as one piece, it should be easy to reattach it without tell tale sings of it being removed at all.

I'm really curious to know the result of your investigation! I must say that the strip seems to be very firmly attached.

I don't think there would be holes as the PX-350 doesn't have holes - just a slot.

this my PX350 has a slot.

I should know by at the latest tomorrow morning if they molded the slot into the panel on the PX-5S. There are slightly different button locations on the panel, so it comes down to how much of the tooling was change to accommodate the PX-5S design.

David

I'm really curious to know the result of your investigation! I must say that the strip seems to be very firmly attached.

In my case, I'm not too worried about leaving marks since I'm repainting the panel. Still I will be very careful.

The key to this is a carry-over from my real life hot-rod modification. Use a small plastic spatula like you use for dry wall/spackle repair. Some "goo-gone" sprayed around the edges/seam, and gently prying should remove about anything.

In some cases you can get just enough of one edge up, then get light gauge fishing line, and work it back and forth through the adhesive the length of the item to be removed.

My only caution here is I will be removing the panel from the board first. it is possible the strip is not just glued on, but it could have tabs that go thru the panel.

Again, let me see, and I'll report.

David

Took me a while to dig this up.. a member posted this in the PX-5S group a while back from the service manual. It does show the music rest slots with spacers inserted (15 & 16). Also looks to be a channel for the bottom part of the rest beneath the strip (14).

http://oi58.tinypic.com/20hva0w.jpg

Took me a while to dig this up.. a member posted this in the PX-5S group a while back from the service manual. It does show the music rest slots with spacers inserted (15 & 16). Also looks to be a channel for the bottom part of the rest beneath the strip (14).

http://oi58.tinypic.com/20hva0w.jpg

That's really helpful, Scott.

It's much as expected, but it looks like the strip is attached via the spacers, which might need to be released from underneath the panel.

That's really helpful, Scott.

It's much as expected, but it looks like the strip is attached via the spacers, which might need to be released from underneath the panel.

if i recall correctly, those spacers are screwed in from the underside of the panel, which means removing the panel. Not something for the faint of heart.

David

Okay, sorry to say that after studying the exploded view, and looking at old pics of my PX350 project, the spacers that hold in the plastic strip (number 14 in the diagram) do indeed screw in from underneath.

You have to remove the control panel to accomplish this.

This involves removing the side pieces, then turning the board over to remove all the little access panels since the screws that hold down the main panel are inside there.

If anyone really wants to tackle this simply to have access to the music stand slot, pm me and I'll explain the entire procedure....done at your own risk, of course.

I say risk, as once you have the panel off, all of the circuit boards are fully exposed, along with their PCB tracers. Very easy to break a a physical tracer if you don't have experience around these. Not to mention static discharge frying a PCB if you don't have a ground strip to attach to your wrist.....

Sorry for the downer news on the music stand.

Much easier to buy a decent music stand or one of the things on the market that can clip on the keyboard stand.

David

Much easier to buy a decent music stand or one of the things on the market that can clip the keyboard.

Agreed. IMO, something free standing and adjustable is preferable to an attached music rest anyway. Thanks Dave. Looking forward to the project pictures!

Agreed. IMO, something free standing and adjustable is preferable to an attached music rest anyway. Thanks Dave. Looking forward to the project pictures!
Such as a copy stand/copyholder typists or secretaries use. You can get these at an office supply store.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If it were me, I'd drill a couple holes in the back, insert some bushings, and fashion a stand out of some thin metal stock I have. But that's just me ;)
You mean like a bolt-on spoiler, right? :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Because the PX-5s is shallow front to back, it's very easy to position a music stand as close in as you want. It's the way I would still go with mine even if it came with a built-in music holder.

Because the PX-5s is shallow front to back, it's very easy to position a music stand as close in as you want. It's the way I would still go with mine even if it came with a built-in music holder.

^^^^^^

THIS!

SSM

If it were me, I'd drill a couple holes in the back, insert some bushings, and fashion a stand out of some thin metal stock I have. But that's just me ;)

Oh man, don't give him any ideas. Next he will be adding mud flaps! :laugh:

Thanks for all the creative and clever ideas. They give me confidence that I can solve the problem fairly easily. I like the transparent and low profile rests that come with some pianos and I have one for a CP33 that I could readily adapt to my Onstage Z stand.

There's a lotta creativity here!

Oh man, don't give him any ideas. Next he will be adding mud flaps! :laugh:

LOL!! Maybe I can add a 4-link and 9 bolt rear end, and drag/wheelie bars like on my old race car ;)

David

Archived