Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Voyager and Model D compared

brenner13

This vid is from 2011, and I'm sure it's been discussed here before (I did a search, but KC only goes back for two years), but I've become Moog obsessed and must own one very soon. Anyway, I certainly want to smoothly sweep between the waveforms, but listening side by side, a well kept classic has a more interesting raw sound and characteristic filter sweep to my ears.

I'm terrified to walk into any music store that might have some analog jewel which would most certainly suck my soul right into the circuit board and I'd not be able leave without it.

:crazy: I digress...new(er) or classic...anyone care to share opines of pros and cons?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One area the video points out is the modulation possibilities of the Voyager. This is further enhanced if you plan to add CV tools like the 251 and/or 351 modules.

These "Modular Expansion" tools is one reason I chose a Voyager.

I've played many Minis although I never owned one.

I've played a half dozen Voyagers in music stores, and without exception, could not get them to sound worth a donkey's wheeze. Where was all that legendary fatness? I started to fear that I had lost my programming mojo.

Moe

---

Another area of difference between the 2 machines is the Voyagers stereo output, the spacing control, and how these relate to the "Dual Lowpass" or "HiPass/Lowpass" configuration of the filters. This can have a huge affect on tone.

Voyager is a more sophisticated instrument....perhaps a certain amount of tone was sacrificed for that.

AND you can save "Donkey Wheeze" as a patch!

I used to own both but I chose to sell the V as I was not digging it as much as the MM. I sat them both down together and I dialled in all my fav sounds of the MM and tried to emulate them (even looking at the waveforms in an oscilloscope prog) and I thought I got as close as possible but I dunno the MM just has a more ballsy feel the way the envelopes worked was more snappy too

I do think the V is a good instrument in its own right and the filter sweep and controls are awesome.. but I think something is missing. There is a mod which allows the V to achieve a tighter square wave (slew mod).

I felt the same way when I compared the DSI PEK with my ARP ProSoloist thought I had those sounds done and dusted but just some mojo with the originals...

Here's another Model D vs Voyager thread from a while back.

MM vs V

Scroll down the page to where I link to a filter and oscillator comparison on SoundCloud. I recorded some raw waveform sounds and a few filter settings from both instruments. Nothing scientific, just a quick A-B. Marino and I bashed the "which is better" question around a bit and agreed: the Voyager oscillators are more "pure" and the filter(s) more harmonic. The Model D oscillators are richer harmonically and the filter is smoother, but in your face.

The Model D and Voyager are the same but different. They're unquestionably Moog instruments. While I'm delighted to have a functioning Model D, the Voyager is still my go-to synth for everyday recording, simply because it offers more colors. Preset storage is a plus. Combined with the VX-351 and CP-251 one has the foundation of a very powerful modular system.

brenner13, you may want to wait a bit until the Moog Sub 37 hits the market. Looks like a monster.

[video:youtube]

Ooh, this "37" is the thang that got me so Mooginated in the first place. I'm just ultra-analyzing all options while trying to decide what to sell in order to sneak an analog piece of gear past my financial conscience. The newer stuff is probably more to my liking with all the extra modulation capabilities and the presets at a touch of a button as Oyarsa presents. Mate_stubb and orangefunk reiterate what I'm hearing with the beef of the classics.

Thanks for the link to that past thread, ksoper...that discussion is exactly what I was looking for. :thu:

not sure if I'm the most qualified guy to chime in here, since I don't really have anything modern to compare with my vintage stuff. I did pick up a Casio XW-P1 recently (paid about half what it goes for new) but I only use it with my band.

honestly, whenever I've been on the brink of buying one of the newer synth offerings I've managed to stumble onto a good deal for something vintage.

monosynth-wise, I have a Moog Prodigy and an ARP Axxe. together they cost less than the price of a used Lil' Phatty, and they each have different things they're good at. the addition of a few effects really makes them come alive.

the main problem is when they need repairs. I can fix most of the smaller problems, but I have a few keyboards waiting their turn on the workbench that might be beyond my abilities.

I'm fully prepared for the possibility that I may pick up a Sub-37 and sell the Voyager, even though the latter has and extra oscillator (which I don't use very often). I haven't touched my Voyager in a long time, because I wanted to wait until I had adequate time to work with it to get it to where I really want it to be; whereas it takes no effort at all with the Sub-37 to get "that sound". So now I think it may not be me.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Which video? The one at the top from 2011, or the new one for the Sub-37?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Talk about agendas! I finally watched the initial video linked at the top, and they consistently play the Voyager an octave higher than the Model D at the start (on the raw waveforms), to get across the impression that the latter is phatter. Yet the Voyager does sound smoother on the resonance filters, where they use the same settings.

After that, they proceed to compare apples and oranges, and the guy on the left can't play very well so that accentuates the Voyager's less than stellar showing.

Aha. I didn't have the patience or time to list to 21 minutes worth of mostly-talk, but did skim a bit to find places where he actually plays it, and it does surprisingly sound a bit more vintage to me than the Voyager in spite of "only" two oscillators.

I'm fully prepared for the possibility that I may pick up a Sub-37 and sell the Voyager, even though the latter has and extra oscillator (which I don't use very often).

Sub 37 and Sub Phatty, however, do have a sub oscillator, which is kind of like a 3rd oscillator

Yeah, when I think about it more, that's usually the reason for using the third oscillator anyway.

I've played a half dozen Voyagers in music stores, and without exception, could not get them to sound worth a donkey's wheeze.

Guitar Center had a Voyager about five years ago, and it was the only Minimoog that I've ever played. But I felt like my experience was very much the same. I've seen videos where players are really ripping, so I attribute it to lousy speakers and perhaps lousy presets (even though I did a bit of knob twiddling while I was there).

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

My own preset bank is way better than any of the factory presets (even the newer ones they added later), and I was hoping to use the editor at some point to analyze why that's so, but the editor is dangerous so I never use it (luckily I did some SysEx dumps beforehand as backup). I'm not bragging either; I put a moderate to heavy amount of effort into my presets but am by no means a Minimoog programming whiz.

No question about it, The Model D kicks ass... But if I were buying a synth today, I would pass on the Moogs and buy a Prophet 12.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I bought the Prophet 12 a few weeks ago, but have been working so much overtime at my day job that I haven't really had a chance yet to use it in the studio. It is incredibly inspiring when just playing it casually though, and it is pulling ideas out of my head in a way that has me really excited about it being an inspirational tool.

I bought the Prophet 12 a few weeks ago, but have been working so much overtime at my day job that I haven't really had a chance yet to use it in the studio. It is incredibly inspiring when just playing it casually though, and it is pulling ideas out of my head in a way that has me really excited about it being an inspirational tool.

I agree. It's one of the very few keyboards that I have become addicted to.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

People who dismiss the Voyager for not sounding like a model D are missing the Big Picture. The Voyager is capable of a huge palette of sounds that the model D can only dream of. The controllers and modulation options open up a world of sounds.

People who dismiss the Voyager for not sounding like a model D are missing the Big Picture. The Voyager is capable of a huge palette of sounds that the model D can only dream of. The controllers and modulation options open up a world of sounds.

That´s it.

As a machine, the Voyager is way beyond the Minimoog D,- much, much more possibilities.

2 different synths and probably best to have both.

I have the D and don´t have a Voyager because it´s not urgently necessary for me,- but I wait for a Sub37 rackmount unit.

A.C.

Indeed. And if you want "balls" "rasp" etc, run the prefix mix out to the boutique rasp box with the flavor you want, and back through the dual filters. Bob knew exactly what he was doing with Voyager.

Yes, I'm aware of all of that. I'm very careful before I sell anything of the quality of a Voyager. I was going to wait until I had PRODUCTION time with it (which I haven't had yet) to see whether passing it through dual filters helps. I have no intention of getting into C/V stuff at my advanced age; time is precious and I'm trying to simplify my life right now. So it would be "in the box" or via the new 500 series Moog modules.

I originally thought I'd dig the Voyager for its extended capabilities, but I'm not likely to use them. The XY-pad is kinda cool but I'm not using it as much as I thought I would. I simply don't feature synths in the foreground that much anymore, so I look more for stuff that sits with everything else rather than dominating. Thus I reach to the Voyager more for synth bass parts, sine wave stuff, and effects. Not much for leads; I'd rather mangle a guitar part these days than have a prominent lead synth.

I've become Moog obsessed and must own one very soon.

Moog Music has you just where they want you. :laugh:

People still buying into their past reputation, while it's not necessarily the same as it was back in the day.

@Hammonddave, did you buy a P12?

I wish.... If I had an extra 3 grand lying around. I could not keep my hands off it at NAMM.

Archived