Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orla JamKey at Musikmesse 2014!

GDFourcade

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since a pic is worth a thousand words...

http://mm49.drenalinacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2-Jamkey-Black_small-779x366.png

http://mm49.drenalinacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/5-Jamkey-Red_small.png

http://mm49.drenalinacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/9-Jamkey-Right-Panel_small-780x366.png

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

If the rumors are correct, there'll be a version with weighted keys on the lower manual.

I´d prefer lower manual "C - C" or "E - E" (like a Rhodes).

They´re italian,- so I guess it´s Fatar anyway and in that case it should be TP40L w/ channel AT like KURZ PC3X or PC3K8.

But it won´t happen I fear.

A.C.

That controller with something like a Receptor could make a pretty formidable rig.

Dave, 51lbs isn't bad considering my S70XS is 45. If they add weighted keys on the bottom that would bump that weight up some though.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The reason I shy'd away from the PC3x was that it was a 54 pounds compared to the PC3 that was 37 pound. My 88 Equinox was 72 pounds and I just couldn't carry that beast around anymore. So even though 54 pounds was a considerable jump down in weight from 72, 37 pounds was just much more attractive. When the C1 came out at 33 pounds several years ago I figured that double manual organs that followed would be under 40 pounds. The Mojo I think sits around 37 pounds. Just seems to me that in today's k/b market 51 pounds is not where the weight should be. The good news would be that with a (potentially in the future) weighted k/b on the bottom (which will add a few more pounds) it would at least solve the issue of a 2nd keyboard and maybe one 50+ lb keyboard might not be too bad. But my first reaction was 51 pounds needs to come down about 10 pounds. I guess we'll see how the market responds to it. I like the concept, one organ action, one (potentially in the future) weighted action and three sets of drawbars.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

you have to figure most of the additional weight compared to other 2 manual boards will be from the larger cabinet size needed to accommodate the longer bottom board.

It'll be interesting to see what the price point is. Probably too much for me!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 1 year later...
The idea is great. I saw it at the Messe this year, and I thought it was big. It's big and heavy, so it's not really practical to bring it to gigs. I would rather have the SK1 (or the Nord Electro)and the Casio PX-5 or something like that. Both together still weighs less than 26 kg.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

There is weight. And then there is 'easy to carry'. I find the easiest keyboards to carry will nicely fit under my arm. My Privia and VAX both do this, and carrying them is easy and painless.

How do you carry a double keyboard like this, at 50+ pounds?

There is weight. And then there is 'easy to carry'. I find the easiest keyboards to carry will nicely fit under my arm. My Privia and VAX both do this, and carrying them is easy and painless.

How do you carry a double keyboard like this, at 50+ pounds?

The attraction is definitely that the dual manuals come real close to each other. With dual keyboard setup the lower keyboard normally makes this impossible due to control panel and display. A low weight version of Yamaha P-100/150/200/250 with flat top would be nice. The Jamkey would be difficult to move without help.

I think that Jamkey can not be compared to products like Previa or Nord organ. Jamkey is not supposed to replace these fine instruments but to be used with PC or Mc Computers or modules like the RECEPTOR. JK does things that Previa and Nord don't do.I tried to move it and it is not impossible.

The attraction is definitely that the dual manuals come real close to each other.

I also like the simplicity of wiring a two-manual "keyboard". One PSU, one set of pedals, no MIDI between them etc. (I know that the JamKey is controller-only, so doesn't do everything in the box).

But at that weight I would need it to come apart into two sections.

Cheers, Mike.

I think that Jamkey can not be compared to products like Previa or Nord organ. Jamkey is not supposed to replace these fine instruments but to be used with PC or Mc Computers or modules like the RECEPTOR. JK does things that Previa and Nord don't do.I tried to move it and it is not impossible.

Previa...

http://best-carz.com/data_images/gallery/models/toyota-previa/toyota-previa-04.jpg

Privia...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/musical_instruments/detail-page/B002IVK0FE-1.jpg

Stuff and things.

hmm this is a very interesting controller. I am about to buy two controllers, weighted and organ. this is exactly it, in one box. i agree with some others, in many ways its easier to carry two lighter keyboards one at a time, then one 55lb large one that probably needs two guys to do it, or at east a hand truck. I like that the two manuals are so close together, that is definitely very playable and a distinct advantage, The TP-100LN is not the best weighted keybed...light...but not neccessarily as good feeling as the TP-40 stuff, so...have to feel it to say for sure. Anyone know the USA price for these?

I was looking at the the Orla semi weighted mm49 recently and comparing it to the new DMC 122 by Crumar. There are things about both that I like but even the semi weighted version of the Orla is 50 pounds and 57 for the hammer. DMC-122 is only 39 pounds. I wish the Orla had more than one MIDI output. My old A70 has 4 and the Crumar has 3 or 4. I doubt I'd consider the Orla for gigs as I don't use laptops, but either version of it is tempting as a studio piece. I have quite a few rack modules and tabletops synths that don't often leave the house and could put them to good use. The DLQ KeyB engine is a nice addition - is that the same engine as the new KeyB Legend that I just heard on another thread recently?

I also have an old Motif ES8 that I've been holding onto just for the weighted action and use it as a controller for recording. It's the only fully weighted digital keyboard I still own (and I always use semi weighted or waterfall action on stage). Anybody else want to chime in on the action/keybed on the Orla Hammer versus what I'm used to with my Motif ES8?

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Love what these guys are trying to do, but ... my world is lugging keyboards, amps and whatnot from place to place. Unit weight matters. And I'm certainly willing to compromise to get a lighter weight -- up to a point.

Even 5 lbs. (or 2 kg?) can make enough of a difference in my experience to consider an alternative. Example: ditched a CP5 because it was just too damn heavy for me to deal with

I adore the all-in-one packaging, but it would definitely stay home :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I was looking at the the Orla semi weighted mm49 recently and comparing it to the new DMC 122 by Crumar. There are things about both that I like but even the semi weighted version of the Orla is 50 pounds and 57 for the hammer. DMC-122 is only 39 pounds.

I'm seriously considering the DMC-122 also. Guido from GSi I believe designed it, selling it through Crumar. It has a lot of advantages and they are going to come out with a DSP card for it that will support playing all of Guido's plugins right from within the DSP card. So basically it will sound like VB3 and the Mojo, plus will have other sounds he has been working on, and also it has pitch and mod wheels, which most organ controllers don't have. I'm seriously thinking about getting it soon.

I'm leaning toward the DMC-122 also. DSP card is being released in September. The demos sound great.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Diversi Organ in the USA is going to be a Sales Rep. for the ORLA JamKey. Two models available one with hammer action keybed on the lower manual and the other with two non-hammer action keybeds. Pricing to be around $2475. or $2595. There is no mention of any Organ DSP included nor as an option, so maybe a great controller but does not make a single sound on its own. Also does not have an 11 pin out for a leslie hookup. Now if ORLA can just make a deal with DLQ to get thier Organ DSP that would be amazing. Not likely to happen.

Not sure why you would say that. They are simply a point of sale in the USA for the product that is made in Italy. It is a plus for any USA customers especially when it comes to shipping and returns, warranty , etc.

I brought this idea up about 6 years ago.... having a piano manual as the lower and an organ manual on top in one chassis with drawbars etc... I was chastised and told 'who would buy such a monstrosity' then by someone on the forum, others support that view. Well! I personally think it's a great idea! 57 lbs is a lot to carry but many of us were lugging that around a few years ago anyway!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Not sure why you would say that.

Because everything Diversi touches outside the gospel market dies a horrible death.

+1.

Even the delivery to the worship market wasn't the greatest. I love the Diversi guys at the Morton, Pa. site (although I don't know if they are even still there). I would hang out there alot when Joey D was using their DV-Duo rig several years ago. Unfortunately their track record is notorious for not being able to handle warranty items, not being responsive to customers and generally not being able to market product effectively at all. Again, great group of people but from a marketing point of view, they need alot of help. Whatever happened to the Ventura TX-5 they were marketing two years ago? Never heard a word about it after the big announcement of the partnership. This is their track record, hence the :facepalm:

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived