Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reggae is much cooler than I thought.

CEB

The band I joined does about a half dozen Reggae tunes. This is kind of cool.

No Woman No Cry is even presenting some problems. Not sure how I am going to do it without dragging out the XK bottom manual.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta learn how to bubble if you're playing reggae.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I still don't really get reggae. But I find the best way to bust into new aural territory is to find the best representation of that style. For me the best representation involves two elements. The best band for the style. 2. Them playing at their loosest, usually not in a studio, but live. letting it all hang out.

Eg Sting with Kenny Kirkland live.. I have heard many versions of Bring On The Night. eg I never got Art Tatum, until someone here recommend him playing live.. then it was amazing. finally George Benson's Affirmation, always left me cold, until I heard him do a Live version with the late great Jorge Dalto.. it blew my mind, how much more I liked the Live versions.

So if anyone could name the best or baddest mp3 or youtube with the most intense yet relaxed groove.. please do so. I would like to like reggae more.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Probably not the best version from an audio perspective. It is live and there is feedback going on.

This is my favorite on my to learn list. The organist is playing a two manual console. I don't know his name or what his rig is but it is a tonewheel console and he is using both manuals to good effect. I like what he does with this tune.

[video:youtube]

Thanks .... I wish there was a like button. I learned something totally new today.

Funny and timely for me: after months of Top 40 / jazz, I have a reggae session today. Reggae was a huge part of my musical life in my early/mid 20s. It is worth studying and isn't difficult to play decently. Just steep yourself in the style a bit, keep your chords simple and practice that bubble.

In order to play reggae well, you need to like reggae. In order to like reggae, you need to like playing simply and find the joy in vibing on a very simple part. When everything is grooving, it is a thrill like no other.

If you can learn to love this and what makes it great and not think it's boring, you'll be well on your way.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

This is my favorite on my to learn list. The organist is playing a two manual console. I don't know his name or what his rig is but it is a tonewheel console and he is using both manuals to good effect. I like what he does with this tune.

Tyrone Downie is the organist.

I depped in a band where they played it in C# - not a key I had much of an acquaintance with until then!

I had to share this video from the session I was talking about on Monday. There's also good footage of me playing a bubble for those who are interested. Once in awhile I have the fortune of getting to track with a bunch of Jamaican music legends (I really don't know how I fell in with these dudes but I love it). That's Santa Davis on drums.

[video:youtube]-ZIskXpLRCg

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

I can smell the ganja from here.... ;)

Funny but there's zero of that. None of these dudes do it, at least in the studio.

I can smell the ganja from here.... ;)

Funny but there's zero of that. None of these dudes do it, at least in the studio.

Yeah, the place looked pretty clean and I didn't get that vibe from them.

The music on the OTOH... :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Probably not the best version from an audio perspective. It is live and there is feedback going on.

It's a C-3 Tyrone Downie plays.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Pretty decent bubble tutorial.

No it's not a good tutorial because they kid is just plain not good at it. I get is idea but he's not assertive with it. This music is larger than anyone person and you really can't fake it. There is no information out there really unless you play or back with a lot of Jamaican bands. It's kind of a handed down music. I've been playing this music a long time and the amount of misinformation on this music is incredible on the web. It took a long time by observing, asking questions and playing it to get comfortable.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Funny and timely for me: after months of Top 40 / jazz, I have a reggae session today. Reggae was a huge part of my musical life in my early/mid 20s. It is worth studying and isn't difficult to play decently. Just steep yourself in the style a bit, keep your chords simple and practice that bubble.

In order to play reggae well, you need to like reggae. In order to like reggae, you need to like playing simply and find the joy in vibing on a very simple part. When everything is grooving, it is a thrill like no other.

If you can learn to love this and what makes it great and not think it's boring, you'll be well on your way.

I don't know if I agree. I posted this video a year ago I remember. You would be surprised how difficult it is to play decently. That's the root's radiacs backing Gregory up. There is four to five tracks in that song alone. Anyway, I see jazz and gospel guys, players that I admire, fall flat on their face with it. They can't sit with playing the same notes over and over, especially two or three chords. You really have to immerse yourself in it to get it. It's not impossible mind you but very deceiving, It will humble you. A lot of musicians can't understand being a small part of a big picture, you can't be busy in Reggae. It's pretty disciplined.

noblevibes.com

Listening to that Gregory Isaacs clip now while I work, didn't have to "learn to love" it, it comes naturally! Good reggae is blissful but it's true, some people, especially some musicians, can't seem to surrender themselves to it, and miss out on some joy. Reminds me of a story! In college, early 80's I shared a house for a couple years with a few people, one of whom was a Jamaican woman, a Rastafarian who was also (late reggae legend) Peter Tosh's cousin. (This reminded me of her because she used to play constant reggae out of her boombox all the time and I got to hear a lot of "Night Nurse" also by Isaacs.) You'd think she made this up or that it was a stretching of the truth somehow, but one day she took some of us friends with her on a road trip to NYC where we got to hang out and actually party with Tosh and his entourage in his plush pad on Central Park. I had seen him perform opening up for the Stones in Philly a few years prior, and asked him about that whole experience as a conversation starter, touring with them. Got the impression he wasn't too crazy at all about the Stones or white people in general, lol (which struck me as pretty ingrateful since not too many people in the US would have ever heard of him without Mick Jagger's support, taking him on tour and playing with him on SNL!, but I didn't say that.) He didn't seem to approve of the Stones' cocaine use which he had I guess observed. Anyway, smoking some reefers with these guys was memorable - they certainly didn't do it American style, passing a joint from person to person around the room - but rather each guy had his own cigar-sized spliff that he just held onto and smoked on his own. Oh well, I know I know, the sarcastic "cool story, bro" :)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

That IS a cool story though bro. Really cool. The drummer in the vid I posted above, Carlton 'Santa' Davis, was with Peter Tosh when he was shot.

A lot of musicians can't understand being a small part of a big picture, you can't be busy in Reggae. It's pretty disciplined.

I would love to try out for a reggae band at some point, just bring an organ and a clavinet, and grooooooove...

I play in a Bob Marley tribute band, and we are currently gearing up for another round of shows on a few months. I cover mostly the organ and clav, and we have another keyboardist who covers AP, EP, and synth parts. we try to do the arrangements as close as possible. It's a really fun and challenging band!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I don't know if I agree. I posted this video a year ago I remember. You would be surprised how difficult it is to play decently. That's the root's radiacs backing Gregory up. There is four to five tracks in that song alone. Anyway, I see jazz and gospel guys, players that I admire, fall flat on their face with it. They can't sit with playing the same notes over and over, especially two or three chords. You really have to immerse yourself in it to get it. It's not impossible mind you but very deceiving, It will humble you. A lot of musicians can't understand being a small part of a big picture, you can't be busy in Reggae. It's pretty disciplined.

I like the way you talk, you speak with depth of conviction and experience.

I like simplicity myself. But so far I do not like listening to reggae.. for me the groove lacks an indescribable intensity.

James Brown, Tower of Power EWF are broad examples. There are others. It's an intensity I miss. Drums have a lot to do with it. I will name some songs that have, for me , incredible drumming intensity that I do not yet hear in Reggae. ( Maybe it's more relaxed than my nature gets )

This is NOT a rant against Reggae.. it is my way of getting up close and personal.. showing you what I experience to be intense, especially from the drum chair. I am very much hoping that a Reggae track(s) exists that has this kind of intensity, yet relaxed at the same time. Otherwise, so far, it is "too island" relaxed for me.

So here are a few examples

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived