Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK-1c Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff

JMcS

I thought I might as well start one of these for the XK-1c too.

The first OS update for the XK-1c is available here:

H/S OS download site

There is an OS update for the XK-1c. The only change listed in the Readme file is improved USB compatibility.

HAMMOND XK-1C Updator Release 1

Feb 14, 2014

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1008.sys

- subV1002.sys

- sloadV1002.sys

Updated Areas:

- Improved USB compatibility.

It isn't on the Hammond US site yet.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There is an OS update available here:

H/S Download

XK-1c:

HAMMOND XK-1C Updator Release 1.1

Jul 02, 2014

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1012.sys

- DSPV1002.sys

Updated Areas:

- Added USB compatibility.

- In Tonewheel organ,improved the problem of errors in writing to sound engine by the value of the attack / release parameters.

- In Default-Global run-time,improved the problem of errors in writing to Percussion internal parameters.

- InDefault-All run-time,improved the problem of errors in writing to Pipe organ parameters.

- In Flanger and Chorus,improved the problem of errors in writing to HPF parameters.

There is an OS update available here:

H/S Download

XK-1c:

HAMMOND XK-1C Updator Release 1.1

Jul 02, 2014 ...

Thanks, Jim. Initially, I could not find a USB drive that would work in my XK1c. I tried five different brands, but the XK1c would not format any of them.

Then a few months ago, I obtained a PNY 2 GB drive that worked, and I installed the v1 update; however, the XK1c still would format only the PNY drive but would not format any of the other five brands.

Today, I installed the v1.1 update, and now the XK1c will format not only the PNY drive but also four of the five drives that it would not format before (SanDisk 8 GB, Lexar 8 GB, Adata 4 GB, Imation 1 GB), although it still will not format a Verbatim 8 GB drive.

Bump! I ordered an XK-1C from Sweetwater this morning and will have it just in time to perform all of Dark Side of the Moon with it this Saturday night. Can't wait!!!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Just the internal sim. I think it's good enough for any live performance, especially for rock (which is all I do). I have a GSi Burn that I used to run my VK-8M through, but I'll sell it next week.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

My new XK-1c has just arrived! Now to figure out how to load Jim's tonewheel set and start tweaking this thing. :)

Just the internal sim. I think it's good enough for any live performance, especially for rock (which is all I do). I have a GSi Burn that I used to run my VK-8M through, but I'll sell it next week.

Bill, Guido is auditioning his new algorithm for the Mojo, on the Mojomusicians forum and based on what I'm hearing it may well be the best leslie sim I've heard. You might hold off on selling the burn to see if he updates the Burn with the same algorthm...? If he does you might want to keep your Burn!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

My new XK-1c has just arrived! Now to figure out how to load Jim's tonewheel set and start tweaking this thing. :)

I just loaded that up. It sounds really good. Also the subtle changes he made to percussion, c/v parameters and EQ on his patches really give a warm, very nice sound.

There are also some nice Leslie tweaks that Jim shared in the SK thread, if you want them let me know and I'll post them so you don't have to search for them. I rarely use my Vent anymore because the built in sim is pretty nice with the tweaks. Yes, the overdrive isn't quite as good but if you use the Tube EP amp sim its a nice gentle overdrive.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Bill, Guido is auditioning his new algorithm for the Mojo, on the Mojomusicians forum and based on what I'm hearing it may well be the best leslie sim I've heard. You might hold off on selling the burn to see if he updates the Burn with the same algorthm...? If he does you might want to keep your Burn!!

Thanks for the tip...I had no idea! I'll keep it for now.

I just loaded that up. It sounds really good. Also the subtle changes he made to percussion, c/v parameters and EQ on his patches really give a warm, very nice sound.

There are also some nice Leslie tweaks that Jim shared in the SK thread, if you want them let me know and I'll post them so you don't have to search for them. I rarely use my Vent anymore because the built in sim is pretty nice with the tweaks. Yes, the overdrive isn't quite as good but if you use the Tube EP amp sim its a nice gentle overdrive.

Actually, I can't find his tonewheel set for the XK-1c. I only have the SK1 version. I'll have to contact him.

If you could post the sim tweaks, that would be awesome. I know how many pages are in that thread...lol.

Here you go. The only difference for me is I like a closer mic sound so I have the distance set at .6 meters.

Horn

Slow: 36

Fast: 375

Lev: -2

Rise: 2.2

Fall: 1.4

Brak: 5

Char: Deep

Bass

Slow: 36

Fast: 393

Lev: 0

Rise: 7

Fall: 5

Brake: 10

Mic angle: 150

Distance: 1.5m

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks, Dan! I'll try them out now.

John Fisher from Motion Sound once wrote that he measured a well maintained leslie with the following characteristics: horn slow speed 48, fast speed 400, rise time 1.5, fall time 1.2; drum slow speed 40, fast speed 342, rise time 6, fall time 8. I've always used these times in various simulator settings and have found them to sound similar to my 122.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Actually, I can't find his tonewheel set for the XK-1c. I only have the SK1 version. I'll have to contact him.

Any chance you could post the SK1 version Bill? Also, anything you may have on percussion, c/v, eq, key click etc would be great!

If you don't mind!

Many thanks, SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

The setup file with Jim A's SK tonewheel sets and other settings is available for download here:

http://hammondorganco.com/support/downloads/voice-libraries/

To get the tonewheels only to load into your own setups, load the setup file, save the tonewheel set as a tonewheel file, load your own setup file and then load the tonewheel set into one of the tonewheel locations.

I think Jim will send you an XK-1c setup file directly if you PM or email him. The XK-1c doesn't have the ability to save/load tonewheel sets so the setup file would have to be loaded and then presets modified to suit your needs.

Any chance you could post the SK1 version Bill? Also, anything you may have on percussion, c/v, eq, key click etc would be great!

If you don't mind!

Many thanks, SSM

You can get the SK1 version of Jim's custom tonewheels directly from Hammond:

Look about 1/2 way down the page in the left column.

I emailed Jim last night to get the XK-1c version. I dialed in his Leslie settings and I like 'em! For now, I've programmed one sound that I'll use live this weekend for Dark Side of the Moon. I will work the distortion and drawbars on the fly. :)

Dan, can you post the c/v, eq, key click and percussion settings?

Click- AT 9 RL 12 HPF 127

Perc- Soft 6 Norm 12 Slow Decay 7 Fast Decay 3

C/V- Rate 6.5 Trem 8 Emph 5 Mix 10V

Vib Depth C1 8 C2 11 C3 14

EQ Bass 0 Mid -9 Treb 0

EQ Freq Bass 200 Mid 400 High 4k

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The setup file with Jim A's SK tonewheel sets and other settings is available for download here:

To get the tonewheels only to load into your own setups, load the setup file, save the tonewheel set as a tonewheel file, load your own setup file and then load the tonewheel set into one of the tonewheel locations.

I think Jim will send you an XK-1c setup file directly if you PM or email him. The XK-1c doesn't have the ability to save/load tonewheel sets so the setup file would have to be loaded and then presets modified to suit your needs.

Many thanks, that's much appreciated :). Thanks also to Bill W

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I played the Pink Floyd show Saturday and used the XK-1c. I managed to get Jim's tonewheel set loaded and I tweaked the Leslie sim w/his parameters right before showtime. The show itself was disappointing (no soundcheck, sounded like crap on stage, etc), but the Hammond sounded nice when you could hear it -- especially in Breathe, Breathe Reprise, and Us & Them. For an encore, we played Mother and Comfortably Numb and the Hammond sounded great there too. I was on the fence about bringing my Burn, but decided to leave it at home and I think it wouldn't have mattered one way or another at this venue. Plus the XK-1c's sim is pretty decent.

Now I need to spend some serious time getting this thing dialed in. I haven't owned a real Hammond since about 1970!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted this in another thread - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2637767/Re_Hammond_xk1C_preset_questio#Post2637767 - but I'll ask again here to see if I get any new information.

There, I stated:

I've been trying to recreate exactly the sound of the preset that the xk1c labels "vintage B3." But while I can get close, there is a subtle difference I can't explain. The preset is just a bit dirtier sounding, as if the percussion is a bit more pronounced or there is a little more overdrive. But all of those settings (as well as the drawbars, Leslie, etc) appear to be the same that I invoke manually.

If anyone has time, I'd be interested in knowing if you can manually recreate precisely the sound of the "vintage B3" preset, and if not, whether you can identify the difference.

Since starting that other thread, I have learned from Hammond that there is no written resource detailing all of the drawbar settings and all of the effects for each preset. I tried some other suggestions made in that thread and came up empty. So at this point, I'm just asking fellow-xk1c owners if you can recreate and explain what I'm hearing.

Why do you want to recreate the preset manually? Why not just use that particular preset until you get to know the board better? Maybe in your tinkering, you'll find something even better. I think someone said it before, there's a ton of parameters to change so you really have to dig deep. That's going to take patience and time.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

Why do you want to recreate the preset manually? Why not just use that particular preset until you get to know the board better? Maybe in your tinkering, you'll find something even better. I think someone said it before, there's a ton of parameters to change so you really have to dig deep. That's going to take patience and time.

Only reason is an exercise in learning. I am doing a lot of tinkering, but the fact that I haven't been able to recreate that particular preset precisely shows me that I am overlooking some adjustment or parameter. And I have a feeling that I might be missing something useful for other purposes.

Archived