Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's amazing how well the EP sound has held up...

Sundown

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played a gig for Mrs Wurlitzer (wife of the founders grandson , also a good classical organist) and she said she had never heard of the Wurlitzer electric piano or it's popularity. I was going to post about it but I thought I would get hassles for being too off topic.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I played a gig for Mrs Wurlitzer (wife of the founders grandson , also a good classical organist) and she said she had never heard of the Wurlitzer electric piano or it's popularity.

:freak:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

MOXF has a few very nice Wurli patches imo, the ones I'm using are from the Vintage Keys library of Voices but they use the built-in waveforms and samples.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Still can't figure why the RMI hasn't been revisited by some of the clone keys unless it has and I'm not aware of it.

Because it's trebuchet worthy. :evil:;)

Yeah, a couple of people that Synthmuseum.com reference using it was Tony Banks of Genesis and some cat named Rick Wakeman. No names, correct? :/ But, I also see your point. Not sure I could use the sound with anything I play with the current bands I'm in.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I always disliked the sound of the RMI. Plus, it was not velocity sensitive.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It was not until I head this song as a 14 year old that I realized how powerful the Wurlie sound was.

[video:youtube]

Great clip!

Always loved the Faces. Am I crazy, but has Ronnie Wood ever sounded so good?

Also love the old Ampeg V4's that Ronnie and Ian are playing through. That's exactly what I used in the 70's.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

He particularly hated the Leslie too IIRC.

A snob indeed! :facepalm:

Yeah, for a while he went out of his way to try to prevent Leslies being sold with Hammonds, but eventually gave up.

Wow... are you serious?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It was not until I head this song as a 14 year old that I realized how powerful the Wurlie sound was.

[video:youtube]

Great clip!

Always loved the Faces. Am I crazy, but has Ronnie Wood ever sounded so good?

Also love the old Ampeg V4's that Ronnie and Ian are playing through. That's exactly what I used in the 70's.

Love that song. Ronnie Lane is the best failed-guitarist-turned-bassist I can think of, (Macca doesn't count). And Ian's Wurly powers that song.

I saw the new line-up on TV recently, with Mick Hucknall singing (he was OK), Glen Matlock bass (no comparison with Ronnie) and Ian still there plugging away, but a shadow of his former self. He looked weak and lacked control of his playing.

Cheers, Mike.

EPs of every variety (Rhodes, Wurli, CP80 and DX Tines) solo, stacked and layered with other sounds will always be my favorite to play. IMO, some of today's facsimiles provide the perfect bundle of joy. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've occasionally discussed the Wurlitzer ...

I always thought the definitive "Wurlitzer Band" was Supertramp.

Was looking for a good vid of "Bloody Well Right", but:

a) appears somebody has done a good job issuing take down notices to any vids of the original group performing the song

b) Supertramp without Roger Hodgson isn't really Supertramp and I won't post anything from the lineup without him!

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Check out the Wurlie solo at 32 minutes in this video.

[video:youtube]29-xxM7FrjM

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived