Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm a programming idiot I need help with a sound!

EscapeRocks

Hey all,

Can someone tell me the basics on how to program the classic Prophet 5 "Descending Bell" sound on a synth. On my Korg Krome, I have all kinds of spot on bell sounds to start with. I am just lost on how to program the effect. i.e lfo, wave shape, etc.. Again, I'm just learning this stuff.

It's at 4:45

[video:youtube]

Thank you!!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 Oscillators ring modulated together, one of which has an envelope applied to the pitch. Envelope has zero attack and the decay controls the rate of the descending sweep.

A classic sound. Use the same technique except with oscillator sync instead of ring modulation, and you get the Cars' "Night Life Baby" sound.

Moe

---

LOL! We are now playing this song, so I was just was working on this sound. I quickly whipped it up on the moxf. If you are using your mox, and want it, I can send it to you. I'm probably going to fine tune it more, later.

Its kind of cheating on the moxf, as the starting sample was there, and you just have to set the pitch envelope generator, to drop after a very short hold time, while increasing the release time of the aeg, slightly.

Edit:...Argh, didn't see the krome reference. nevermind...

I'm listening on some bad earphones at the hotel but assuming the Krome is similar to the HD1 on the Kronos look for the pitch envelope to design the envelope for the pitch drop. In the Oscillator section look for pitch. This is where you apply the amount of the envelope to the pitch of the oscillators.

Busch.

Got it, thanks again!!

it took me a minute to understand the Korg layour when digging deep into the menus, but taking all your advice, I was able to play around in the Filter EG, and OSC sections to get what I need.

As Steve said, this place rocks..learned something new.

That being said, I was able to dial it up on my Magellan app on my iPad that I use live. It's actually closer to the Prophet sound than I got on my Krome. Go figure ;)

Okay, time to load the truck for the trek.

Thanks again!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

This time when watching the Prophet video, I noticed the sort of "dimension" (as in suggested size) in some of the presets. I like those sounds.

Many here will know (and know more about it) but if "bell" is the essence of the required sound, and not a floating down in-harmonic dial tone, of course it could be time for some FM. Also known, I'm sure, a ring-modulator is usually somewhat of a 4 quadrant multiplier with highh-pass and saturation (non-linearity).

T.

It's like, he hasn't seen a synthesizer's parameters for the first or the third time, I reckon, so I though I'd make a tiny little conversation. A lot of modern synths don't have a real wave multiplication option to my knowledge, except possibly in the effects, and the down-pitch doesn't require my help...

A bell sound, unless you find a sample that has the required characteristics in it (which isn't easy) is served by any form of FM you might be able to find on (in this case) the Chrome, maybe even from a LFO you pitch high, I donno, it's just a suggestion.

I found the question serious and interesting, so.

I haven't dug into the Krome, but my understanding is that it doesn't have the synth engines of the Kronos, just samples, is that correct? Within the Kronos, you could certainly program the sound from scratch as described, but I'm guessing that's not an option on the Krome.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived