Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another mixer question

Steve Nathan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Dave! My question about price was really geared towards getting an understanding the comparisons between the APB unit and the other units that have been discussed in the thread. Clearly there are two very different classes of product being discussed in this thread. At 5 times the cost - the APB mixer better be eating the Chinese GC units like the Samson for breakfast!
The SpaceNorman :freak:

Thanks Dave! My question about price was really geared towards getting an understanding the comparisons between the APB unit and the other units that have been discussed in the thread. Clearly there are two very different classes of product being discussed in this thread. At 5 times the cost - the APB mixer better be eating the Chinese GC units like the Samson for breakfast!
My suspicion is that if you're going for transparency, you're better off putting the money elsewhere. Even inexpensive devices are remarkably transparent, and the $750 you could put into a little less noise and a little more transparency won't matter nearly as much as $750 of other gear (better mics and instruments, etc.)

The biggest exception here is for mic preamps, but we're talking about line mixers.

we're talking about line mixers.

That APB Dynasonics mixer that Tim mentioned, is indeed head and shoulders above all the usual suspects.

OK. Of course the APB is a far superior product, but in this instance it is seriously overkill. If I needed something to run mikes into, to cut acoustic piano, vocals, guitars, whatever, "pristine" audio quality would naturally be the top priority. But I'm not buying a control room console, I'm submixing romplers and digital synths, Harsh, brittle digital synths that (IMHO) will benefit from less high end, not a flat curve to 30K.

I don't want noise, but I don't want "pristine" either. Over many years I've found numerous ways to "color" the sound of these instruments. I've used all kinds of processing across the master and before that, I actually used to intentionally wire these modules with very cheap wire. For years, I bought the cheapest Radio Shack cords, cut the ends off and soldered Neutriks on so the connection was stable but the wire attenuated highs noticeably. I earned a reputation for "warmer" sounds than the other guys, even though we were often using the same gear. :laugh:

Now Behringer's unit may be too low end. I wouldn't know unless I heard one first, but I still wanted to see what others have experienced with the whole gamut of available line mixers. I will probably end up trying something from Ashley, but for now, I've decided to dust off a Roland M160 I had lying around the basement. And I'll probably pass on the Radio Shack cable and just put something Meek across the output. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I went back to this thread to see if anyone had mentioned the Tascam I noted in the newer thread, and it was not brought up here either. Still curious why these mixers have escaped the notice of working keyboarders??

Tascam LM-8ST

Marketing? (lack thereof) It looks like a nice versatile piece of gear. Not sure I'd spend $400 on it though but if you are in the market for a more high end mixer it should be in the running with the other models in that price rance.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Still curious why these mixers have escaped the notice of working keyboarders??

Tascam LM-8ST

It lacks pan/balance controls in the input channels.

That´s what I dislike,- maybe other´s too (?).

A.C.

I'm glad I got the SM-10 because of the effects send that I am using to route an old analog board to a digital reverb.

The TASCAM looks nice. I never considered because Sweetwater does not have it in the product listings. Which is odd because they have a lot of TASCAM stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Having ST2 switched to Aux is nice, but I find it odd that the switches are on the bottom of the unit (per the manual).

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

• 5 months later...

Im looking at getting the Samson SM10 mixer. My Alesis 8 channel rack mount mixer, that I bought used 4 years ago, is loosing channels. At first I had trouble with 2 channels, so I just used others. Last weekend, after not using my rack for a while, I found Id lost two or three more channels. One channel worked Friday night and then nothing but buzz on Saturday. WTH?

I know that there a number of members using the Samson. How are they holding up? I was looking the Behringer as its cheaper, but I like the additional features on the Samson.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Rane and Ashly make very clean, well-built 1U basic mixers.

I'm with mate on this one. The Ashly 308b seems to fit your needs. I still own 2 Behringer KX 1200 Keyboard Amps (use them in stereo for electronic drums) so I'm not anti Behringer, but I am pro Ashly.

I've picked up 3 of these on Ebay lately. Prices that I paid range from $150 to $225. Great little transparent mixer. Stereo inputs for each of the 8 channels is great for a rack of sound modules.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived