Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another mixer question

Steve Nathan

With the new reality that so much more recording takes place in smaller studios than the old days, my giant 48spacer is often just too big to set up in a lot of these rooms. I'm assembling a small rack of hardware synth modules, and need a submixer that doesn't take too much of the available real estate. I'd like it to have at minimum, 16 mono or 8 stereo inputs to 2 out plus a headphone out on the front, and take up no more than 2-4 spaces at most. I don't need multiple sends or eq. Just straight ahead line mixing.

I saw something last night that is only one space tall and cheap :o but it is a brand I've never bought because I have this vague sense of a poor reputation for the brand.

The exact mixer is:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/RX1602.aspx

My question to you good folks is:

Is Behringer decent, or wasted money, and I'm looking for opinions from actual users, not people like me who "think they heard something bad about them" :laugh:

And if the view is "move on", I love some alternate suggestions.

Don't rush me. I'm playing as slowly as I can!

www.stevenathanmusic.com

https://apple.co/2EGpYXK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Behringer decent, or wasted money, and I'm looking for opinions from actual users

I have two Behringer units.....one a powered speaker (212D) and the other a small mixer. No problems with either since buying them over two years ago...they both are used almost daily.

I have zero experience with the mixer you show - however, my experience with Behringer products in general hasn't been great. One of my projects used a EuroDesk mixer in our rehearsal space for awhile - and had nothing but problems with it. The rackmount DI unit that I own works .. but is noisy.

If you're looking for an inexpensive line mixer with lots of inputs - the Samson SM10 is a decent unit. Supports 10 stereo inputs, lots of flexibility in output routing, study construction, internal power supply with IEC power cable (no wall wart or line lump).

I've been using mine for a couple of years now and could not be happier with it.

Samson SM10 Line Mixer

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I am currently using one of these Behringer mixers in my rack. I have had no issues with it. I have been using it for weekend gigs for the last four years. I know Behringer has a bad rep, but I have not had issues with their products, luckily. I am sure there are much better products out there, but this has worked for me.

I don't know if you know Paul Brown. He plays on Blues and R&B projects mostly I believe. He was using Behringer gear and was an endorser I think. You may ask him if he has used this mixer if you ever see him.

I'm thinking about a mixer like this or the Samson SM10. Probably the Samson where I can try to send the XLR outs to FOH and the 1/4" outs to my stage monitors.

If I have to haul my own gear I need to downsize.

Maybe get a 6 space SKB rack and go

1 Furman

2 Roland XV-5050

3 Line Mixer

4 Patchpanel

5 Empty

6 Rack shelf with DI.

Unless the Line Mixer has a ground lift then I go to 4 space rack. Depends on the next gig.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks to all. I hadn't even considered Samson for the same (probably ungrounded) bias as Behringer. There's not really much else out there. One of the Ashley's will work but the Ranes left me with some questions.

I appreciate the help.

www.stevenathanmusic.com

I have that exact mixer in my rack, use and abuse it regularly (my rack is out in my garage pretty much year round- it's about 5 degrees out there now and it gets over 100 in the summer), and have had no problems with it. I haven't noticed it being noisy, between the Vent and my other boards, that's where all the noise in my rig comes from.

Go for it- it's not that expensive and most places have a return policy if you don't like it and then you can get one of the higher end units.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Rane and Ashly make very clean, well-built 1U basic mixers.

I'm with mate on this one. The Ashly 308b seems to fit your needs. I still own 2 Behringer KX 1200 Keyboard Amps (use them in stereo for electronic drums) so I'm not anti Behringer, but I am pro Ashly.

:nopity:

This may seem like a naive question, Steve, but here goes -

If your intended usage is recording (rather than live performance), isn't pristine audio quality a prerequisite? In which case, might you be better served by looking at the high end stuff that Dave Ferris has been using like APB-Dynasonics:

http://www.apb-dynasonics.com/downloads/ProSpec/ProSpec-Intro-June-2010.pdf

Even if the Samson / Behringer / Alesis / etc. deal doesn't fail on you, I'm guessing the audio quality of the APB is noticeably superior to that strata of component. Of course, I'm just guessing here...

This may seem like a naive question, Steve, but here goes -

If your intended usage is recording (rather than live performance), isn't pristine audio quality a prerequisite? In which case, might you be better served by looking at the high end stuff that Dave Ferris has been using like APB-Dynasonics:

http://www.apb-dynasonics.com/downloads/ProSpec/ProSpec-Intro-June-2010.pdf

Even if the Samson / Behringer / Alesis / etc. deal doesn't fail on you, I'm guessing the audio quality of the APB is noticeably superior to that strata of component. Of course, I'm just guessing here...

I am perplexed as well.. This seems like a multi-part question and the two parts simply do not add up.. :idk:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I believe that was that same Behringer 1U mixer that raised eyebrows a few years ago when it was chosen to be the keyboard submixers on a Springsteen tour.

I have a few Behringer products - mostly power amps. It's all been good... good sound, very reliable. Their little $25 USB audio interface is amazing. No drivers needed - you just plug it into your laptop and go.

Behringer Xenyx X1222USB is what my drummer purchased for PA use in his home.

It worked fine - until the warranty ran out. Just a few days later it would explode with a loud distortion hash (not a click, not a pop, not a squeal), until we turned it off.

This noise was intermittent. We could not determine the cause.

He threw it away - it's too cheap to bother getting it repaired.

No. I wouldn't buy anything Behringer.

The story above is a real-world example.

But it's information like THIS makes me nervous about Behringer.

I'd rather spend more to buy a quality product, new or used, where results like this (Mackie vs. Behringer), and this (Peavy vs. Behringer) are rare when you do a simple Google search. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

That Xenyx is a lot different than a simple line mixer. Mine has been fine for at least 3-4 years if not more. Now I've probably jinxed myself and next gig it'll blow up on me. I have a spare tabletop mixer in my emergency bag though...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Rane and Ashly make very clean, well-built 1U basic mixers.

+1 to this and I'll add the old Roland M120 single space to the list.

I have also been using over the past three years a Behringer Xenyx mixer, small model w/effects...has not skipped a beat.

I use it for band practice only, would never record with it....not clean enough.

Paul

I have zero experience with the mixer you show - however, my experience with Behringer products in general hasn't been great. One of my projects used a EuroDesk mixer in our rehearsal space for awhile - and had nothing but problems with it. The rackmount DI unit that I own works .. but is noisy.

If you're looking for an inexpensive line mixer with lots of inputs - the Samson SM10 is a decent unit. Supports 10 stereo inputs, lots of flexibility in output routing, study construction, internal power supply with IEC power cable (no wall wart or line lump).

I've been using mine for a couple of years now and could not be happier with it.

Samson SM10 Line Mixer

Norman,

You have any issues with hum with that mixer? I have one that should be here tomorrow to replace a Rolls that had a horrible hum...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

You have any issues with hum with that mixer?

I haven't had any issues with hum or noise issues with the mixer. On a couple of occasions - I've had issues with hum that was introduced when a laptop (that was running on AC power) was connected to the mixer. That issue was easily remedied with a cheap ART DTI isolation transformer. Connecting the laptop while it's running on it's battery - or any other battery powered device (iPad, iPod, iPhone) is quiet as a church mouse. I believe that the issue I had with the laptop is the fault of the laptop's "line lump" than the mixer.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I'm a Behringer Eurolive user. Sounds fine, no problems. It's only a little 4 channel thing but it sounds fine.

Our wee local theatre (quite a big "wee theatre" btw) uses a Behringer desk for submixes. Don't know the model.

I've only used that desk, a B210D and a couple of passive DIs but no problems ever.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

But it's information like THIS makes me nervous about Behringer.

I'd rather spend more to buy a quality product, new or used, where results like this (Mackie vs. Behringer), and this (Peavy vs. Behringer) are rare when you do a simple Google search. :rolleyes:

I personally wouldn't use anything of theirs no matter how good the product was simply due to their constant patent infringement. And it's not like their products are high quality, so the answer would be doubly no.

I too would much rather buy a quality product by a reputable company. As always, I'm not telling anyone else what to do, and YMMV.

I have the following Behringer products and use them all the time: An iNuke NU6000 Amp ; a Xenyx Mixer ; a UMX610 controller UMX610 ; and an active 2 channel direct box, and hum eliminator DI & a hum eliminator . Never had a spot of trouble with any of them, ever. A good friend of mine owns "Sound Productions" in DFW, Texas. He sells Behringer and wouldn't sell it if it were bad stuff. Sound Productions I learned about Behringer from him.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I have used several Behringer products, though not the specific mixer you listed. I have an early full size mixer that I use at home. It was fine for quite a while but ended up developing a few issues with bad pots, scratchy faders, and a distorted send. I used the 8-channel DI that was ok, but definitely noisy, and one of the 1/4" jacks broke. When I switched to Radial, the difference was night and day. Back in the early 2000s, we used the digital mixer and digital EQ and they worked well, though we didn't use it long enough to see how reliable it was.

Personally, if I was paying somebody to record me and they showed up with Behringer, especially for a critical part of the signal path, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

There are 2 knocks on "the B word".

1. made with the cheapest possible components, you roll the dice with reliability.

2. they are an unethical company who steal designs and product looks to make knockoffs.

I don't have personal experience with (1), but (2) really ticks me off, and I will not support them for that reason.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I would be more concerned with #1 than #2. As long as they aren't infringing on patents, there is nothing unethical going on. Look at the car industry; half of the cars look alike to me.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit 93 Band

Thanks everyone for the input.

I had about 6 paragraphs of response to "the puzzling question" typed when I decided I should read it over with a clearer head before posting.

I'll be back :)

To be clear though, I was not specifically looking for cheap. I was asking if any of the cheap stuff was actually decent and a good value.

An apt comparison might be, while some folks swear by Monster cable, in my experience, Mogami is just as good for way less money. I was curious to hear what other people's personal experience was.

I think you folks delivered exactly what I wanted to know.

www.stevenathanmusic.com

That APB Dynasonics mixer that Tim mentioned, is indeed head and shoulders above all the usual suspects.

For many years I had the Ashley MX508 and while it's been a few years since I sold the Ashley and obviously I can't A/B them-I'm fairly confident in saying the APB is far superior with regard to tone, headroom and less noise.

In fact the APB Prospec 2U6M2S sounds better then my modded Audio Upgrades/Jim Williams Soundcraft Delta board. More colored but better detailed with my DPA 4011s on the Steinway.

It simply eats all the Chinese GC fare for breakfast. A&H Zed 10 included. No comparison whatsoever. Personally I think the APB is the best sounding small format mixer on the market today.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

Archived