Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Love my ultimate Support AX-90 stand (missile launcher)

EscapeRocks

After experimenting with the "simplifying the rig" stuff, I have gone back to this. It just has it's own stage presence and is very functional as well.

Here are some pics. I apologize for the fuzzy pics. I was in a hurry :)

Setting up the stand for tonight's show.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/grove2_zps92ccaa21.jpg

I love the totally adjustable arms

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/grove6_zpse8450c1b.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/grove3_zps782f4fe2.jpg

The cable channel is deep enough for all.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/grove5_zpsfefb1c2b.jpg

All cable come out the base and run along floor to rack. Virtually invisible to audience, and no spiderweb hanging off the rig.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/grove4_zpsccca38d9.jpg

On the right in the above pic is my Alesis ioDock on top of the rack. I'll be running the Magellan synth app tonight. It sounds fantastic. Controlled by my Krome.. I'll have another thread about it.

Anyway, I decided I was compromising too much by trying the "simplify" thing. Especially on stages where I have the space to do what I want.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I bought something from someone off Craigslist last night and he had a bunch of other gear he was trying to sell. One thing was this beast (now discontinued from what I understand). It looks cool but it just seems like such a huge heavy beast. That and the fact that it's $$$ deterred me from making an offer

Hearing you rave about it is giving me second thoughts though. It does have quite a stage presence doesn't it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Every place we play I get a ton of compliments about the stand. Yes, it's heavy. About 35+lbs. It's carrying bag makes it easy to carry though. The hand is in the right place so it balances nicely when you pick it up.

I've been a USS Apex user since the very first one in 1987 which I still own and use now and then. Of course I painted it ;)

ps. I paid $279 brand new a few years ago. Don't get bent over on a used one.

They're built like tanks.

David

More thoughts.

Yes, USS discontinued this. Also, they never produced the MIC adapter like they have for the AX-48pro.

I was able to speak to one of the USS engineering types in Colorado a year or so ago. I got some ideas on easy it would be to fab up my own. If I ever do it, I'll share :)

David

ER, what is the keyboard "bounce" like on these? I have found on similar designs with arms that when playing a little more vigorously that the keyboard tends to bounce quite a bit.

Thanks

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I have one of these, and also love it, but I stopped using mine. I found that I kept chewing through the bags that go with it, which make this stand MUCH easier to transport and set up than if you don't have it. I was always really careful with it, but the lining on the inside of the bag wore out over time and would get caught on the stand and rip. I think I went through two bags in about a year and a half. When they discontinued it, I took mine out of service while I still had a working bag. Also, I prefer to sit when playing, and I don't care for column stands like this in that application. But I originally bought the stand for a "standing" gig, so I still use it sparingly when stage dimensions are more conducive for standing.

It's a great stand, though - wish it hadn't been discontinued!

TBH looking at the price and weight, I am not surprised it was discontinued.

The stand I have been disappointed in (more so in the lack of ongoing development) is the SolidStand system. I am surprised no other companies have run with the concept.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I have an AX-90B; gets compliments whenever I bring it out. At 39 lb. it's not a lightweight, but it's durable, and will hold a lot of kit. If I lift it up by the top tier support, it feels like I'm hefting a trophy musky. And it has an unique look. I'd say it wins the award for most bombastic stand, ever :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I bough mine for "the look". It has been sitting around for a few years unused because I can't get the bottom tier high enough to play comfortably when two boards are used. Fine for one board, not good for 2, at least for me. I play standing, and find my hands are bent at an awkward angle on the lower board. YMMV. I use it for solo/duo type gigs when I don't use 2 boards. It is heavy, but looks great.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I have the original Apex. What a beast. Very heavy, and the legs don't stay in their channels now when transporting. And stagehands hate these once set up they're hard to move. And the legs get in the way of using a sustain pedal. But I remember really wanting one when they first came out they looked cool! And I was using a KX88 at the time and the original Apex handled it with ease.

I haven't used mine in years, but ironically, when I tour they are the only stands I get! I don't mind one bit, since I'm not the one setting up or moving them! :)

Reminds me of the K&M Spider Pro a bit.

I have a Spider for my gigging stand. It is great for playing while standing. Quicker setup, too. That said, I'm going to use my AX-90 this Friday with the full band(thanks to this thread), just to make sure it doesn't work the way I remember it...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Didn't know these were discontinued, always lusted after them when they came out a few years back, but at the price and weight seemed like they were more oriented towards touring pros rather than weekend warriors like myself. While not quite as verstaile, I have been very happy with the K&M Spider Pro I bought instead. (Had used the AX48's for many many years previously but really have a few problems with this even though it is kind of the standard, the Spider is more intelligently designed imo, easier in use and has the looks factor in spades. Only one of several problems I found with the 48's is that the plastic lid that holds the arms inside the column for transport, always breaks off eventually.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Spider for my gigging stand. It is great for playing while standing. Quicker setup, too. That said, I'm going to use my AX-90 this Friday with the full band(thanks to this thread), just to make sure it doesn't work the way I remember it...

Okay, I unpacked the AX-90 to use with my CP4 this coming Saturday. First, it's still heavy as hell. But more importantly. there's a lot more shake, etc. than I remember. It moves enough that I'm almost afraid to put my CP4 on it. I like US gear, but sometimes I get the feeling they didn't quite work out the bugs. And I have every keyboard stand they have made. Anyone else experience this? Advice?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Okay, I unpacked the AX-90 to use with my CP4 this coming Saturday. First, it's still heavy as hell. But more importantly. there's a lot more shake, etc. than I remember. It moves enough that I'm almost afraid to put my CP4 on it. I like US gear, but sometimes I get the feeling they didn't quite work out the bugs. And I have every keyboard stand they have made. Anyone else experience this? Advice?

Before my lightweight PX350, mine used to hold a Yammy CP 33 and Korg Triton Exreme 61.

Then an MOX8 and Korg M50.

I never felt like the boards were in danger.

David

Archived