Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the oldest/vintage synth you gig with regularly?

Rustar

I have repurposed my Yamaha S03 for use in my church to play bass/brass, pads, ep splits. It's midi'd to a Casio PX-330 for a better keyboard feel. The sound quality from the unit is so good.

What other old synths are you folks still getting good use from?

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to gig with my Jupiter 6 until it got stolen about 9 years ago.

Don't know if it counts since it's just a controller, but I currently gig with an A70.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Not exactly 'vintage', yet, but the oldest synth I use regularly is a Roland XV-5080 - w/Ultimate Keys SRX, and a couple of SR-JV cards. It's racked up for a weekly, church gig. Works well with a Casio XW-P1 as controller / layering source.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I take an old SH-101 out once in a while. It sort of sucks but it has a cheezy Lo-fi vibe that works on some songs.

D-50 sometimes also but that still doesn't feel like an old board to me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Regularly: Roland JV-90 with the World expansion card

Sometimes: Ensoniq SQ-80

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I can't compete with a minimoog but I still regularly use my korg m1 and plan to use my korg mono/poly circa 1980 or so in the near future.

I've also used my Yanaha cs-01 a few times recently and in June used my Yamaha kx-5 remote midi'd to the m1.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I'm playing a 1912 Chickering Grand every day. It's the piano I learned on, I've been playing since I was 4, and I'm 50.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Gig-wise the oldest thing I use is my Alesis QS7; I programmed quite a few sounds that I still perform with.

I keep threatening to bring my Polysix to a gig but I'd rather not it be outdoors (which many of our gigs have been). It works fine but don't want to subject it to the elements.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Roland XP 30 - or if I cheat the Verghese Rack+ which is an ARP ProSoloist in a box..........
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Jupiter 6 w/Europa. A reliable, versatile true analog to incorporate with the digital stuff. The Juno 60 w/Minerva also goes out on occasion.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I mostly play bass nowadays, but I have a Moog Opus 3 that I use at gigs for a few songs, mostly intros or special effects.

I might start bringing one of my clavinets, just because I still haven't found a band looking for a clavinet player, so might as well play it in the band I'm in now.

My Alesis Ion. Occasionally I'll bring out my Roland VR-760 (V-Combo) for gigs, but I'm looking to sell that one soon to thin out the herd.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Archived