Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP4 owners: how's it working for you in mono?

Aidan

Guess the title says it all. How many of you are liking it in mono? This, more than the weight and bulk, was what pushed me off the CP5.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's working very well for me, Aidan. About half my small duo and trio gigs I'm doing in mono these days. What I find is key is choosing the best one for the room context soon as I set up. It helps that the CP4 already has the "mono", "mono+" and "mono-" variations in the default list for all three AP families (CFX, CF, S6) to make it a quick task.

Mine works fine in mono, as well. In a band situation, I always use the mono+ and play with the eq to make sure it cuts through the mix. And,the action is GREAT. YMMV...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

The mono sample sets sound nice, but also the stereo ones sound nice if you use the right out, as opposed to the left/mono out. Why bother? Well if you wish to use the same patches in either configuration, you can.

They definitely paid attention to those of us that prefer, or simply use mono.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

You looking at getting a CP4 Aidan?

Still mulling it over, Neil. I really need to play one but can't find one locally at the moment. I also want to play the MOXF8, just in case.

Learjeff -

Default piano voices (both stereo and mono) in the CP4 come with "+" and "-" variations, which as far as I can tell are brighter or warmer than the original.

So in a particular room, if I'm going mono, and I think the CF is going to be the one out of the three, I can select CF mono, CF mono+ or CF mono- and see how they sit in the room. Then adjust five band EQ, decide if I'm going to use the master compressor, the two inline FX, etc.

So lots of permutations available very quickly, without having to menu dive. I really dig all of this being readily available, since all I'm trying to do is dial in a usable AP sound and Yamaha has created the UI to leave the cookies on the bottom shelf, as they say.

You looking at getting a CP4 Aidan?

Still mulling it over, Neil. I really need to play one but can't find one locally at the moment. I also want to play the MOXF8, just in case.

I would be surprised if you liked the MOXF8 more than the CP4, especially considering the former has the GHS action.

Yeah no doubt about that Dana. But in some ways, if I can live with it, the moxf would be a strong choice for projects ahead in this year. But yep, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the CP4 in any direct shoot out.

Do the onboard speakers sound good in mono or are they weird and phasey sounding?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I think the MOXF is probably something of a distraction, because I've always liked the Motif soundest. The real board of interest is the CP4, because I'm really looking for an action which is more controllable and expressive than the Stage. If all other things were equal, even with the thinning of the top end of the samples, I would have no interest in moving on from the Nord. And indeed, I may still not.

I think the MOXF is probably something of a distraction, because I've always liked the Motif soundest. The real board of interest is the CP4, because I'm really looking for an action which is more controllable and expressive than the Stage. If all other things were equal, even with the thinning of the top end of the samples, I would have no interest in moving on from the Nord. And indeed, I may still not.

Aidan, didn't you own the CP-5? Do you expect that the CP-4 is going to be much different? Seems to me ones opinion of the earlier CPs is going to be about the same as the new one.

Busch.

Lately I've been too lazy to bring 2 cabs and run in stereo. I've been bringing the larger & more hefty RCF TT22A and just laying it on the ground in wedge position. It has more fullness (with the 12") then TT08A and better dispersion.

There's also less cords to mess with. A few weeks ago, I packed up my NP first, then K&M stand and looked at all the cabling on the floor.... :cry: That's almost enough of a reason to dissuade anyone of stereo. ;)

Don't even have to put the Undercover speaker covers on since I'm using the RCF cover on the 22A that just zips up in two places. I was in my car tonight in under 20 minutes.

I might be cured of "stereo".

Busch, yeah I did. The two things which made me ditch the CP5 were its weight and poor mono performance. Both of which appear to have been addressed with the CP4.

Really, I have no stake in the matter, but you should try to play a CP4 if you can. To me personally, and I know this is highly subjective, there is no comparison between the Nord and the CP4 in terms of the physical keyboard and finger/sound connection. Of course, people in this very thread feel the opposite way, so there you have it. The Stage also covers other bases very well. I am speaking in terms of piano, only.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Yep the finger-sound connection is where I'm feeling the lack with the Nord. It has some very strong points - probably the best piano sounds overall - but the keybed is a compromise on all fronts. My thought is to get the CP4 and buy a single manual clonewheel, probably the SK1 for basic work or top the Yamaha with my Kurzweil 361 when it's necessary to extend the sound palette. The other issue I have with the Nord, for solo wedding work, is the red isn't conservative enough for a lot of brides.

Really, I have no stake in the matter, but you should try to play a CP4 if you can. To me personally, and I know this is highly subjective, there is no comparison between the Nord and the CP4 in terms of the physical keyboard and finger/sound connection. Of course, people in this very thread feel the opposite way, so there you have it. The Stage also covers other bases very well. I am speaking in terms of piano, only.

:thu: I agree its very subjective. Great action and connection but it was probably the most disappointing experience I've had when buying an instrument (maybe the old Korg SGX rack disappointed me more which I bought on the strength of a glowing SOS review).

I literally knew within 20 seconds it was not for me but I spent several hours trying to convince myself otherwise before sending it back. Definitely one you have to try out...

Yep the finger-sound connection is where I'm feeling the lack with the Nord. It has some very strong points - probably the best piano sounds overall - but the keybed is a compromise on all fronts. My thought is to get the CP4 and buy a single manual clonewheel, probably the SK1 for basic work.....

That is my exact new rig, with Mainstage to extend the sound palette when needed.

It should be fine or ok in mono, but to prevent all too static interference waves between the stereo PA speakers, why not chorus a little bit ?

That's a great tip! I'm writing that one down using a big red wax crayon...

I'm using a big red felt tip myself - to highlight the date I eventually got one of Theo's jokes!

I just played one of these. Very nice. Great piano sounds. My biggest problem with it is the case looks and feels cheap but it sounds really nice.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived