Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For lovers of B3 ( clonewheel players too ) only!!

I-missRichardTee

Tee, I love ya buddy, we've had some good conversations but are you off your meds or what?

Organists are the original "one man band" performers. You think a B3 has controls that are hard to master? You're questioning how a player finds time in the middle of a song to hit the C/V or percussion or whatever? Try these:

If you're an organist then it's your JOB to figure this all out and work on controlling that thing seamlessly into your performance. That's why people like good organists, they're busier than the proverbial one-armed paper hanger and they talk to each other saying "How the hell does he do that"?

If you are having problems with that then you know what the answer is.

Ok I see you posted while I was writing this so I'll add if what you want is a lot of extra stuff including hotrodded B3's then you want my Kurzweil PC3. It's got many stock factory shredded, mangled B3's to go along with traditional ones and everybody knows that Kurz is legendary for it's ability to allow the user to create their own amazing stuff.

If you want nonstock B3's then a Kurz is the way to go.

Bob

I am gonna be a skeptic here, with your suggestion of Kurzweil.. I have a CX3 and a Mojo. Mojo is more realistic than CX3.. CX3 has more versatility though. I certainly have thought about having more than one Organ on a stage.. but aside from hassle, there is lack of integration of expression. Something tells me that one organ console ( clonewheel ) could do what I desire ( and what will hopefully happen in future ).

1. Great authenticity of the original B3

2 pipe organ sounds

3 greater hands on control of degrees of the effects- Leslie ramp up, and down, chorus depth and speed, wider types of distortion and reverb

A lot of the above exists, it does not exist in one console!!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote=Sven Golly

dB

Or stop what you're doing long enough to think about what you're about to do.

Good advice for many things in life, not the least of which is forum posting. Take a break before hitting "Submit". ;)

:snax:

OK !!! Been so busy 2 gigs per day for three consecutive days.. I will be more thoughtful ha ha no, I will :wave:

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Ask me what my favorite instrument is.. I think it is the same "favorite" as Beethoven's the Pipe Organ. Man, would I love to have some of those pipe organ sounds available. I understand there is a whole technology to that end for emulations of pipe organs!

Virtual Theater Pipe Organ

Also, the SK series has a very nice and very tweakable built in pipe organ.

There also is:

Hauprwerk Virtual Pipe Organ

The Hauprwerk can be built up into a very complex system. They do have one small (12 rank IIRC) instrument that is available free of charge. EDIT: I just went to the website, and don't see the free version, although there is a download for evaluation (I don't know if it times out or not). Some have used the emulations that are available to build electronic copies of some very large concert instruments. For this sort of thing, one needs a MIDI console (AGO style manuals and pedals, stop controls, etc.); several computers to run different sub-systems, and a large number of amplifiers and speakers.

I've got the small instrument on my DAW, and can play both manuals using the PC3 and PC3X as controllers. I still have to handle the stops on the computer screen, but the realism is impressive.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Good advice for many things in life, not the least of which is forum posting. Take a break before hitting "Submit". ;)

+1. The equivalent of the carpenter's "measure twice, cut once".

Cheers, Mike.

Zukskywalker, MoodyBluesKeys and JMcS, thank you all, for your support, and suggestions here. I have seen the Hauptwerk virtual before. I am interested, but it looks rather involved with multiple amps, etc.

If I could see a reduced size, complexity, and expense of it.. I would be tempted!

Happy Holidays.. and for any of you who go this way Happy Holy days as well.

+1. The equivalent of the carpenter's "measure twice, cut once".

Cheers, Mike.

Duly noted :wave:

I was wondering about the chorus effect on the XK1-c. Is that possibly akin to the chorus generator on some of the early Hammonds? Same thing for tremolo? And is this how Hammond says you can have virtually any organ from any period? Perhaps one of these days I will be able to listen for myself when I get all my bills paid :(

Me 2 ! lol Bills bills kill bills lol

I disagree that a SINGLE sustained note on a piano in any respect compares to a sustained naked B3 through an amp sans effects.

The piano sound is much more pleasing. First of all, it has a natural decay. The B3 does not. maybe that's the biggest point? It just seems to me a string of a piano is a more natural and more pleasing sound, than the B3.

When I want to play certain styles of music, I would strongly prefer the B3 though. And in another mood, the piano.

Thank you Jim.

I never said a single sustained note on a piano is comparable to a B3. What I said is that ANY instrument can be annoying. On a piano, start hitting the highest C over and over again and you will drive yourself (and others around you) crazy.

Yes, the decay of the string(s) in a piano and the resonances involved make it a much more interesting and pleasing sound than the straight tone of an electro-mechanical tonewheel based system. That's exactly why Hammond added chorus, reverb, and even their own Leslie-ripoff to the mix.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

As JMcS mentioned, the SK series has an amazing pipe organ section as well as a transistor organ section (think Vox and Farfisa) plus all the onboard effects. And I think the SK series sounds better than the Mojo.

Jim Alfredson perhaps I misunderstood this:

"Play a single note on an acoustic piano over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and it will become grating as well. So what?" My point pertained to the uniquely cutting quality of a sustained tone... not a repeated tone. The "over and over" situation is more psychologically involved.. aka monotony.. ( sort of like us going in circles ;-) ) the sustained note is less psychological and brings in something more physically disturbing... a poor analogy, fingers scratching a blackboard. Sorry I can't think a better example.

The strength ( penetrating tone- unmatched for shouting and screaming ) of the B3 is also its weakness; a common principle I observe in life.

The sustained tone of B3 in my example, is perhaps unfairly at the same volume! A piano decays. But repeated notes were never my position.

Repeated tones eventually = monotony more psychological.

Sustained B3 as you have said above, demands variety which Hammond and Leslie provide= an annoyingly penetrating tone..

The case I tried to make, and have failed- more effects more variety of chorus.

If you want decay...push in all the drawbars and use slow percussion.

In all seriousness, Laurens put the gas pedal there for a reason. You can make the decay of a single note anything you want.

Incidentally, long sustained notes are the thing I love most about Hammonds. When I took up the organ, I found I got back some of the same lines I had before I put down the sax and started playing piano more seriously.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived