Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For lovers of B3 ( clonewheel players too ) only!!

I-missRichardTee

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big DB dude in the sky :-) I don't know.. here is what I've noticed.. I have x amount of days after I post something. Within that window, I can edit my a*** off, but then I cannot..nada, no way :idk

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Big DB dude in the sky :-) I don't know.. here is what I've noticed.. I have x amount of days after I post something. Within that window, I can edit my a*** off, but then I cannot..nada, no way :idk

Weird. I wonder if that's the case with everyone in general...? You only posted that two days ago. I'll look in the forum settings menu and see if that's changeable.

...and I'm in Thousand Oaks, not the sky... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

DB THANK YOU sir... now all I need is one of the writing geniuses here to help me rewrite my rambling post!!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I guess I still don't understand the point of the original post. Yes, a single held note on a B3 (even with a Leslie) will become grating if held long enough. Play a single note on an acoustic piano over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and it will become grating as well. So what?

The instrument has enough real-time controls to overcome such boredom. Again, that's why they put drawbars, c/v tabs, percussion, an expression pedal, and sometimes even reverb on the thing. Then add the Leslie after all of that.

The reason the B3 is often thought of as an acoustic instrument is because like an acoustic instrument it takes a lot of practice to sound good at it. As WesG said, a single note on a clarinet will sound awful if played by a person brand new to the instrument. Piano and organ are a bit easier to get a good overall tone out of due to the natures of the instrument, but it still takes a lot of work to play either proficiently.

Jim, I am closer to a very very advanced musician than a musical beginner! As are you!

Playing a piano over and over and over is a different "thing" than HOLDING a note.

Hold a piano note with sustain, and it lasts quite a long time.

It is far far far far far more pleasing than holding a B3 thru an amp, in a like manner. I did not mean to trample on your feelings about B3.

I love the B3!!

It is far far far far far more pleasing than holding a B3 thru an amp, in a like manner.

Right. Which is why pianos don't have drawbars, chorus/vibrato, reverb, expression pedals, etc. They don't need them! :)

Alright alright already. I was just trying to uncover ( deconstruct ? ) the B3.

Jim and the rest of you... the idea of having more control, strictly of the elements already available on B3 clones like Suzuki and Mojo.. the idea of have having more realtime control of chorus speed depth, drive, reverb, Leslie speeds, ramp up etc etc .. all the stuff that clonewheel computers offer.. the idea of having much more of it, readily under your hands, doesn't sound at all interesting to you?

It is far far far far far more pleasing than holding a B3 thru an amp, in a like manner.

Right. Which is why pianos don't have drawbars, chorus/vibrato, reverb, expression pedals, etc. They don't need them! :)

You know more about B3 than I... let me take this a step further.. holding a piano note compared to B3 note sustained

how do you change the eg chorus speed when your other hand is busy?

Alright alright already. I was just trying to uncover ( deconstruct ? ) the B3.

Jim and the rest of you... the idea of having more control, strictly of the elements already available on B3 clones like Suzuki and Mojo.. the idea of have having more realtime control of chorus speed depth, drive, reverb, Leslie speeds, ramp up etc etc .. all the stuff that clonewheel computers offer.. the idea of having much more of it, readily under your hands, doesn't sound at all interesting to you?

Not really. As long as I have control of the original parameters of a B3, I'm happy. I consider it a bonus if I can also control reverb and overdrive and EQ, all of which is readily accessible via dedicated knobs on the SK2.

Concerning how to flip on the chorus when both hands are busy; you don't. You wait for a break in the action. If there's never a break in the action, then you're doing it wrong (on any instrument!) One of the reasons I focused on learning bass pedals was so I could utilize the Leslie switch better.

Break in action" meaning?

Probably meaning you stop playing for long enough to use one of your hands to make the change you want.

dB

Or stop what you're doing long enough to think about what you're about to do.

Good advice for many things in life, not the least of which is forum posting. Take a break before hitting "Submit". ;)

Some players use foot switches. I found this too confusing, what with the bass pedals, expression pedal, and the damper from my piano down there, too. I now prefer a simple Tremolo/Chorale switch near my left hand. It only makes a few ms to hit it. It is very rare that I have trouble getting to it at the right time.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

[video:youtube]

There are numerous examples in a rock/pop/blues context where mastery of the instrument is not required for wonderful sonic enrichment of a particular recording. (Regardless of whether the session musician involved had monster chops or not)

Probably meaning you stop playing for long enough to use one of your hands to make the change you want.

dB

Good advice for many things in life, not the least of which is forum posting. Take a break before hitting "Submit". ;)

Best advice I have seen here in a long time :D

Brett

Take it from me... The less you play, the better you sound.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

"..I am closer to a very very advanced musician than a musical beginner ...

Based on many of your posted topics I would have thought the opposite... Sorry

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Ok, guys, I am sorry about confusing.. but confusing means you heard two or more conflicting ideas. Name something I said that was conflicting!

I could not edit my OP even with moderators help ! I simply wanted to increase the hands-on control over eg chorus speed depth, distortion, Leslie speeds, etc, to increase the expressive potential of B3, without compromising the original sound pallette of the B3.

Ok, guys, I am sorry about confusing.. but confusing means you heard two or more conflicting ideas. Name something I said that was conflicting!

Two or more conflicting ideas would be "contradictory". No one said you were contradicting yourself. It's just that your post was hard to understand.

[video:youtube]

There are numerous examples in a rock/pop/blues context where mastery of the instrument is not required for wonderful sonic enrichment of a particular recording. (Regardless of whether the session musician involved had monster chops or not)

Whoever played organ on that track knew enough about the style of music he/she was playing to stay out of the way when necessary and had good time, played the "right" chords, and did some cool rhythmic comping. Within the context of that particular style of music, that's mastery. And it would still take many hundreds of hours of practice / experience to get there.

dB

:thu::)

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Whoever played organ on that track knew enough about the style of music he/she was playing to stay out of the way when necessary and had good time, played the "right" chords, and did some cool rhythmic comping. Within the context of that particular style of music, that's mastery. And it would still take many hundreds of hours of practice / experience to get there.

so true...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

I still feel my idea was valid and though hard to read, it is laced about in this thread. Guitar players have always had the best of it.. added effects for B3 are a solid idea.

Archived