Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ARP 2600 clone kit

GovernorSilver

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I .... must ...... resist ...... Don't have time..... to do this.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

An old music school buddy started putting one together - he posted on Facebook last night. It will sure be interesting to follow his project! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I took a music lab class freshman year of college. We had a B3 with a 147, a Paia string machine (that I and another student built), a 4 track reel to reel and an ARP 2600.

It was a fun synth but I can honestly say I wouldn't want one today.

Still, that kit is quite the value for an adventuresome person.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

God I don't have the skills for this, but I want it so bad. Comes out to around $980CAN before taxes.

I think before it is done it will much more than that. I don't think this kit includes all the part. Website suggests you buy parts from Mouser and warns you some parts maybe backordered.

$921 US if the currency converter is right. Pretty good price, but that's just for the PCBs. All the electronics will be extra.

That said, the 2600 was the first synth I ever owned in '73. I concur with Bif. I wouldn't want one today. Really. What can it do that current technology can't mimic well enough for people whose listening is through earbuds?

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I always wanted one. I really really liked the Odyssey.

Heck I liked playing with Arppe2600va until I discovered Sonigen Modular.

What can it do that current technology can't mimic well enough for people whose listening is through earbuds?

..Joe

:thu:

We had a binder with patches with the 2600. I remember going through that thing, setting all the knobs, inserting patch cables, etc. It took quite some time to set up one sound. Many times it was fairly underwhelming to me. I didn't really enjoy the sound creation process.

I appreciate knobs on a synth, but have no interest in anything like the 2600. I'm sure there are folks here that love it and can get some cool stuff out of it, but I prefer the immediacy of a rompler anytime.

Greg

God I don't have the skills for this, but I want it so bad. Comes out to around $980CAN before taxes.

I think before it is done it will much more than that. I don't think this kit includes all the part. Website suggests you buy parts from Mouser and warns you some parts maybe backordered.

Good advice here. I'm sure that most people that would pursue this endeavor know what they're getting into. Anybody that has doubts would be advised to stay away.

I recall from assembling the Paia string machine a lot of circuit board parts assembly and soldering. Not hard, but can be tedious, and every solder joint has to be good. I recall the Paia was more like an organ than a synth, with many divider circuits, hence a lot of repetition on the work.

And when you're done, if it doesn't work, you're kind of one your own. Better have some good bench skills at that point. And that is becoming a lost art.

If people claim that current technology is as good as a real 2600 then they haven't worked hard enough on a 2600. I played a real 2600 not long ago and modern synth can't even begin to approach the sounds that thing can make.

Oh, I worked hard enough on it- I owned it and gigged with it for 7 years. But what it became was a preset machine that wouldn't allow me to touch the sliders, because they were set near what I needed them to be.

But really: you think that 1972 technology outshines today's technology? Really? Okay, play it duophonically with the original keyboard. Can't. Split any keyboard. Can't. Make a monophonic, even halfway decent piano. Can't.

No, the problem isn't today's technology, it's today's synthesist: for the overwhelming majority, they can't be bothered to program the boxes they have, preferring a glorified Lowrey organ whereby they press a button and expect the sound they want to magically appear. The Arp (et al) required hours and hours of experimentation to get a sound, and we learned our instrument. We knew what it could do. The 2600 wasn't that deep- 3 oscillators, Ring mod, Voltage Inverter, Sample and Hold, 1 full and one half envelope. But it's what people did with those components that made the difference. It can't compare to even, say, Kurzweil's VAST algorithms, which themselves are now 20-year old technology.

And yet, maybe you're right: today's technology does indeed make us all far too lazy...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Just for S&Gs I picked a random part - one of the linear taper pots. Mouser shows 0 stock with a 16 week factory lead time.

Just sayin'

But those aren't that important, are they??? ;)

• 3 months later...

I ended up here, improbably, after spending the evening listening to Brian Eno's Music For Airports, doing a little searching, and determining that he used a 2600 on that album. In fact, the first time I ever discovered the 2600, it was on an album I got into as a teenager in '76. For me, the quality of the straight tones - a French horn sound or CS80-ish brass - is what I'd most like to be able to experience in my home studio or live.

After checking out the time lapse build of this new kit, I'm convinced that this is a non starter for me!

So my question is this - does anyone here think that the upcoming Korg Odyssey, or, for that matter, a currently available modular ocsillator/filter combo would deliver the goods?

I think the Korg Odyssey has some potential, especially if they include the ability to switch between all three filters that were used in them over the years. We'll have to see how that plays out. Of course programmability would be a added plus so that when you did create a "happy accident" you could at least save your work. Polyphony would be cool too. But now we're are venturing away from what made it what it was to begin with. Aren't we? Or have we become spoiled?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived