Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Cold weather, summer clothing

Synthoid

I went out for coffee this morning and saw no less than 3 people wearing shorts outside. Thing is, it's 33 degrees here and raining!

When I was growing up, mom would often lecture on the importance of staying warm outside. Once temps dipped below 40, kids were wearing heavy coats while waiting at the bus stop. While it's common to see kids these days walking home from school with no coat or jacket, I don't see how anyone (adults included) can be comfortable wearing shorts when the temps drop below 50.

http://digiphotomag.com/wp-content/uploads/10-24-12-600x470.png

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was growing up, mom would often lecture on the importance of staying warm outside. Once temps dipped below 40, kids were wearing heavy coats while waiting at the bus stop.

Yeah.. my mom too. She started in October...Made us wear coats and snowpants over our Halloween costumes.. This is me trick-or-treating one year:

http://www.swakknit.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/snowsuit.jpg

Yeah, it's almost December. Boston is on the warm side of this storm, but it's coming soon. My enthusiasm for winter is long gone. It's 40°f, no rain yet, and I'm not going out without a coat, hat, and gloves.
--wmp

Huh... And I thought that oddity was just a Colorado thing. I regularly see guys in shorts and t-shirts when it's in the upper 30's / low 40's Fahrenheit, here.

Weirdest thing seen so far was a guy at a gas pump - wearing nothing but a flimsy pair of workout pants; no shoes or shirt, seedy and disheveled; the late morning temperature was about 45 degrees. Looked like he got out of bed - after a bender the previous night - and decided the first priority was to put gas in the car. :crazy:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

And I thought that oddity was just a Colorado thing. I regularly see guys in shorts and t-shirts when it's in the upper 30's / low 40's Fahrenheit, here.

Ah, so the craziness is spreading. Nice to know... thanks. :/

I know I'm in Houston, but it still amazes me when I see people here wearing stuff like a hoodie with the sleeves pulled over their hands and shorts, sometimes with flip-flops. I seriously think there are people here who don't own a pair of long pants.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here in Orlando you get the opposite: people start breaking out parkas and and wooly caps if it drops below 70F. I'm one of those who tolerates cold better than heat, which sucks when you have a bunch of nice jackets (wife is a sale monster, we're talking like 90% off) and get to wear them maybe 2 weeks out of the year. One of these years I'm getting out of here and moving where it's cold (and they have Yamaha cp4s in stock but that's a complaint for another thread).

I don't mind people wearing shorts in the snow. It is the women wearing flimsy blouses in the office and wanting the heat set on 80 that bother me.

Yeah, scarcely dressed women bother me too.

Oh, and cooties!

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I don't mind people wearing shorts in the snow. It is the women wearing flimsy blouses in the office and wanting the heat set on 80 that bother me.

Yeah, scarcely dressed women bother me too.

Oh, and cooties boobies !

Fixed. Infantile, but fixed.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

One of these years I'm getting out of here and moving where it's cold

I'll be happy to trade places with you. I don't enjoy winter weather at all... I used to, but that time has passed. :(

Yeah, scarcely dressed 60 year old women bother me too.

Oh, and cooties beltline boobies !

Fixed. Infantile, but fixed.

Really fixed. (Hope no one in the office ever sees this.)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Weirdest thing seen so far was a guy at a gas pump - wearing nothing but a flimsy pair of workout pants; no shoes or shirt, seedy and disheveled; the late morning temperature was about 45 degrees. Looked like he got out of bed - after a bender the previous night - and decided the first priority was to put gas in the car. :crazy:

Hmmm.....musician :laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

My 26 year old son wears shorts year round. At one point he was riding a scooter to work and still wore shorts in the dead of winter.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It would be nice if they made gloves that were both warm and flexible enough to use in load in and load out.

I bought a carton of these Cheap Gripper Gloves to use when I'm schlepping gear. They're reasonably warm and flexible - but more importantly, they've got an incredible grip. I regularly leave my keyboard cases in the van - and simply tuck the board under my left arm to move it from van to stage (which more often than not is only a very short carry). The grip these gloves provide is better than that I get from my bare hands. These days I wear 1 glove on my left hand whenever I'm moving my keyboards. At roughly $1 a pair - I can afford to leave a few gloves in convenient places (there's a couple laying sitting in the back of the van, 1 in each of my keyboard cases - as well as a pair or two in my gig bag). Definitely one of my better finds!

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Interesting topic. Depending upon one's metabolism, age, location, and physical condition, I've found that there are great differences in what folks consider to be "warm" or "cold."

Case in point; back in early spring, I had to travel to LA for work. The temps were in the 50's at night, which was gorgeous for folks from Chicago. The natives, however, were bundled up in heavy jackets for the most part.

Personally, I have always been one who is more comfortable when the ambient is on the cooler side. I wear SS shirts year-round, and would be one of those a$$holes mentioned who wears shorts down to about 30 degrees F. I sleep on top of the covers year round, while my wife is buried below 17 layers of blankets.

It would be nice if they made gloves that were both warm and flexible enough to use in load in and load out.

I bought a carton of these Cheap Gripper Gloves to use when I'm schlepping gear. They're reasonably warm and flexible - but more importantly, they've got an incredible grip. I regularly leave my keyboard cases in the van - and simply tuck the board under my left arm to move it from van to stage (which more often than not is only a very short carry). The grip these gloves provide is better than that I get from my bare hands. These days I wear 1 glove on my left hand whenever I'm moving my keyboards. At roughly $1 a pair - I can afford to leave a few gloves in convenient places (there's a couple laying sitting in the back of the van, 1 in each of my keyboard cases - as well as a pair or two in my gig bag). Definitely one of my better finds!

He man thanks. Great idea. I have an account with them as I order CD mailers from them to promote the band.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

And all year long they're wearing skirts or dresses. Come to think of it, how's that any different from wearing shorts?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

And all year long they're wearing skirts or dresses. Come to think of it, how's that any different from wearing shorts?

I never thought about it that way. We're used to seeing the ladies in skirts and dresses year round. Of course they usually wear stockings... that helps a little.

Archived