Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2014 Thread

Geoff Grace

I can just imagine how much fun it would have been to be out in San Francisco last night. The Saturday night just before Halloween is THE biggest night of the year here. SF embraces Halloween as though we invented it. Now combine that with a win in a very tight, nail-biting world series featuring our beloved Giants, and you have a receipt for bedlam.

Last night my former band played the second of two sold out Halloween shows at Bimbo's, perhaps the best venue in town. Meanwhile, much earlier in the evening, we were strolling around a mall in Marin so that our 2-year old could trick or treat and to enter our dog in a canine costume contest, thus illustrating with stark clarity life's big trade offs.

The funnest thing about watching this series is Hunter Pence, who is before our eyes is becoming a living legend. Not just for his playing, because although he's very good, he's not a superstar, but rather for the way he plays, personifying the old saying "he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played." You can squint your eyes and imagine him on the 1915 Cincinnati Reds, or something like that. He's a larger than life character and a complete original, in an age when such a thing seems to be more and more rare. Win or lose, I want to be more like Hunter.

Hunter is unbelievable. It is great to see Pablo really come thru for the playoffs. Really, the entire team was tremendous last night.

It has become a very exciting series. We are very lucky to have this in our back yard.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful news about Oscar Taveras! :(

If the Cardinals had beaten the Giants in the NLCS, it's likely he would have been playing in St. Louis tonight instead of driving his car in the Dominican Republic.

Cardinals OF Taveras killed in crash

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm both stunned and deeply saddened to hear this terrible news. :(

Oscar was on the brink of becoming an impact player and star for the Cardinals.

Deepest condolences to his family, Cardinal teammates and fans, as well as his friends throughout MLB.

The timing of Taveras demise is so ironically tragic, it makes you wonder whether there is a Baseball God after all.

The series just gets more and more interesting as it heads back to, um, that flyover State, the name of which escapes me right now. Giants only have to win one game, Royals have to win two, but aside from that, it seems like the Royals have every advantage going for them except for middle inning relief. Never mind momentum, whatever of that the Giants are feeling gets erased the moment the Royals take the field in Game six and the crowd explodes.

It's difficult to feel good about Peavy v. Ventura. Peavy looks gassed. The hope is that he can go all out for 3-4 innings and hand it over to Petit in at least a tie game. I feel better about Hudson starting in a game 7, with Bumgarner able to throw a couple innings.

Despite the 3-2 lead, it feels more like the series is dead even.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The timing of Taveras demise is so ironically tragic, it makes you wonder whether there is a Baseball God after all.

The series just gets more and more interesting as it heads back to, um, that flyover State, the name of which escapes me right now. Giants only have to win one game, Royals have to win two, but aside from that, it seems like the Royals have every advantage going for them except for middle inning relief. Never mind momentum, whatever of that the Giants are feeling gets erased the moment the Royals take the field in Game six and the crowd explodes.

It's difficult to feel good about Peavy v. Ventura. Peavy looks gassed. The hope is that he can go all out for 3-4 innings and hand it over to Petit in at least a tie game. I feel better about Hudson starting in a game 7, with Bumgarner able to throw a couple innings.

Despite the 3-2 lead, it feels more like the series is dead even.

its almost always about the best starting pitchers. who can shut down a team. bochy will play game 6 like its a game 7. he will assess if peavy has it and give him the hook ASAP.

Giants bullpen is rested. if the giants get the lead, i think they will go all out to protect it

[70's Songwriter]

These two teams have really done a great job of matching each other's performance. First, both started as wild card teams and beat the odds to get here. Then, after the Giants won the opening game 7-1, the Royals won the next game 7-2. Next, after Kansas City went on to win two in a row, San Francisco won two in a row. Then, in the game after the Giants shutout the Royals, the Royals shutout the Giants tonight.

I'm glad I didn't stop watching the postseason after the Dodgers were eliminated. This has been a very satisfying series!

It's almost a shame that one of these teams has to lose; but here we are with one game left, winner take all.

Best,

Geoff

What an amazing display by the Royals tonight. Peavy pulled after 1 1/3! And it got worse. I just wonder what would have happened if Peavy had been allowed to at least try to get out of that bases loaded jam.

Tomorrow will be amazing.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

its almost always about the best starting pitchers. who can shut down a team. bochy will play game 6 like its a game 7. he will assess if peavy has it and give him the hook ASAP.

Right you were.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Peavy didn't pitch as badly as his line suggests, it was mostly a lot of bloop hits and seeing-eye grounders, combined with the Royals aggressive running and one very bad fielding decision by Belt. I never thought the Giants had much chance in this game, but when Posey came up with one out and the bases loaded, I thought ok, the they can stlll make it close and force KC to use their big bullpen guys so maybe they won't be as fresh tomorrow. But Posey swung at ball 1 and grounded into a Taylor Swift-made double play. Game over at that point.

Tonight is more of an even matchup, though I think you have to give an edge to KC based on the starting pitchers and the fact that they can play their running-and-defense game which is suited to their ballpark.

I caught the third inning, I believe it was, with the huge Royal whuppin' where they scored something like 7 runs in one inning. Wow.

What a finish!

Madison Bumgarner is postseason gold.

The Royals never found an answer for Bumgarner, who looked almost superhuman on two days rest. Kudos to Pablo Sandoval too for hitting every time he was at bat and scoring two of the three runs.

Congrats to our Giants fans. What a great World Series! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Madison Bumgarner cannot be entirely human.

He also does not display an extravagant amount of outward emotion, for a man who has accomplished the superhuman.

and only 25 years of age. What a role model he can be.

3 World Series victories in the same series! Unimaginable!

:nopity:

The Royals did very well, making it competitive, but they couldn't get past Bumgarner. A shame they couldn't have gotten another run before Bumgarner took the mound.

Consider this: Bumgarner had a 0.56 ERA in his six postseason starts, while the rest of the Giants rotation yielded a 9.35 ERA! (Source) It's hard to imagine the Giants even getting to the World Series, let alone winning it without Bumgarner, whose career World Series ERA is the lowest in history at 0.26.

But the Giants do have Bumgarner, and they've now won three titles in five years. That's quite an accomplishment!

Best,

Geoff

There's nothing more to say about Bumgarner that hasn't been said. I think, on the one hand, there's the Giants victory, which is mostly for Giants fans to enjoy. But there's also Bumgarner's achievement, which is for baseball fans everywhere to marvel at.

I've made a habit the past two world series victories of going out on the town a little bit to take in the atmosphere after the win. I passed on that last night, and glad that I did. It got unruly in San Francisco last night. Mostly in the Mission District. Seeing people give free reign to their baser instincts after a big sports victory always makes me despair for the human race. Why not take this as an opportunity to learn a lesson from Bumgarner, who just goes about his business quietly and with humility.

There's nothing more to say about Bumgarner that hasn't been said. I think, on the one hand, there's the Giants victory, which is mostly for Giants fans to enjoy. But there's also Bumgarner's achievement, which is for baseball fans everywhere to marvel at.

I've made a habit the past two world series victories of going out on the town a little bit to take in the atmosphere after the win. I passed on that last night, and glad that I did. It got unruly in San Francisco last night. Mostly in the Mission District. Seeing people give free reign to their baser instincts after a big sports victory always makes me despair for the human race. Why not take this as an opportunity to learn a lesson from Bumgarner, who just goes about his business quietly and with humility.

"The heavy stench of booze and marijuana filled the air everywhere the rowdy crowds gathered."

[70's Songwriter]

"The heavy stench of booze and marijuana filled the air everywhere the rowdy crowds gathered."

That could describe most band rehearsal rooms I've been in. It's breaking and burning stuff I object to.

Archived