Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2014 Thread

Geoff Grace

Just echoing the common phrase here when I say that this is yet another Giants team that doesn't look championship on paper, but somehow is getting it done in October. It was a beautiful night in San Francisco last night, with a full moon blazing down near the end of the game and tendrils of fog sweeping the city carried by a gentle October ocean breezes. When you live here, you start to take magical moments like this for granted, including, perhaps, another improbable Giants run at the crown.

I lived in the outer mission or San Mateo from 1977 thru 2001. So I went to many games at the Stick. So many great memories. And when Lasorda and co came to town those games were unforgettable.

It does not get any better than this. Us Giant fans live in great times.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As much as I'm rooting for my cards, they made mistakes and giants brought it. I hope the cards can turn it around.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We lucked out big time. The kids and their long ball gave it us.- Traveras, Adams & again Wong. :2thu:

And AGAIN, Rosenthal imploded ! For God's sake,get him outta there! Why don't they stay with Nehske and make him the closer?!! Everytime he comes in, he throws strikes and is un-hittable.

We lucked out big time. The kids and their long ball gave it us.- Traveras, Adams & again Wong. :2thu:

And AGAIN, Rosenthal imploded ! For God's sake,get him outta there! Why don't they stay with Nehske and make him the closer?!! Everytime he comes in, he throws strikes and is un-hittable.

Agreed on all counts!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I must say, now that the Nationals are out all I care about is the World Series now. Whoever wins, they'd better beat the Giants or Cardinals.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

That's horrible to lose on a play like that ! :( I would've felt better if the guy had a solid single to left and drove in the winning run...but a wild throw to first on a sacrifice bunt ?! :facepalm:

Hopefully come back tomorrow.

I had to take my daughter to dance class, so I moved to the car and heard the horrible news on the radio on the way....didn't see it. Very disappointing.

Dan

Good...now I'll get more practicing in this month without watching any more sports. :D

Man he nailed that one ! No doubt.. Better then losing on a WP like the other night. I would have been greatly surprised if the series retuned to STL. Giants ALWAYS give us fits like I said already.

Congrats to the hippest city in the US. They certainly deserved it. I'm happy we got as far as we did, winning the division and beating the Dodgers. Coming back on Kershaw TWICE. Amazing season for us, no reason to hang your head if you're a Cardinal fan. Wish we could've been a little more competitive in this series but that's baseball. We got there 4 years in a row at least.

I'll be largely indifferent in the WS , probably won't even watch it unless it turns out to be interesting.

I'll be largely indifferent in the WS , probably won't even watch it unless it turns out to be interesting.

The 2 teams playing in the World Series have a total of 2 losses throughout the entire playoff season. SF lost once to the Nats and once to the Cards. KC hasen't lost a game since the regular season. If that doesn't make it interesting (at least for now), I don't know what will. I do completly get the less watching sports, more playing keyboards part. :cool:

:nopity:

With the cards out, I'll be rooting for the Royals. I would have liked to have an I-70 series, but the chips just didn't fall that way.

Dan

The 2 teams playing in the World Series have a total of 2 losses throughout the entire playoff season. SF lost once to the Nats and once to the Cards. KC hasen't lost a game since the regular season. If that doesn't make it interesting (at least for now), I don't know what will.

No doubt.

We have a rare wild card World Series, AND one of those teamson the heels of a decades long postseason droughthas the potential to sweep the entire postseason.

I know I'm interested.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Good...now I'll get more practicing in this month without watching any more sports. :D

Man he nailed that one ! No doubt.. Better then losing on a WP like the other night. I would have been greatly surprised if the series retuned to STL. Giants ALWAYS give us fits like I said already.

Congrats to the hippest city in the US. They certainly deserved it. I'm happy we got as far as we did, winning the division and beating the Dodgers. Coming back on Kershaw TWICE. Amazing season for us, no reason to hang your head if you're a Cardinal fan. Wish we could've been a little more competitive in this series but that's baseball. We got there 4 years in a row at least.

beating the Dodgers like that was huge. I tip my hat to the cards for taking care of the NL team with the biggest payroll.

[70's Songwriter]

Padres fan.

The Cardinals slayed us in the '96, '05 and '06 NLDS and have won a couple WS in the past few years.

The Giants are our in division mortal enemies and have won a couple WS in the past few years.

Go Royals.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Nationals fan, eh ?

I had wished at the beginning of this season that the Nat's hadn't traded Michael Morse to the Giants. I was wishing it even more watching him being interviewed last night after the game was over. :facepalm:

Padres fan.

The Cardinals slayed us in the '96, '05 and '06 NLDS and have won a couple WS in the past few years.

The Giants are our in division mortal enemies and have won a couple WS in the past few years.

Go Royals.

i get it. I feel the same way about the Doggers.

The padres have never struck me and other Giant fans as mortal enemies. Heck, Bruce Bochy and jake peavey had great careers in your town.

[70's Songwriter]

Now that I live north of the City in Larkspur, I'm a little less immersed in Giants culture, but even so it's easy to feel the spirit. When the Giants won it in 2010, the feeling was sort of like, "finally! We deserve this!" 2012 was just a lot of fun, because that pressure was off.

One of the things I really like about the Giants, aside from the obvious home team thing, is that they show a lot of loyalty to their players, more so than most MLB teams. Sure there are roster changes but there's also a lot of continuity, you can identify a significant core of the team that has remained since 2010.

I mean, philosophically, what is a sports team? If the 90% of the players turn over every 5 years, is it really a group of players that you're rooting for? Surely it isn't the front office, they are like distant relatives you almost never see. Or is it the connection that we imagine exists between ourselves, the character of our city, and way a group of 25 guys who happen to wear the same uniform and call themselves a "team" conduct themselves on the field? Being a fan means subscribing to a fiction that there is some deeper meaning to all this, such that when your team wins it is confirmation that you've been living right all these years.

At this point it's fun to think about these guys: Posey, Sandoval, Romo, Crawford, Cain and Pagan (who are injured but still contributed to the season), even the extremely well-rested Lincecum, carving a place for themselves in the annals of baseball as one of the few teams in the modern era that can claim to have constituted a dynasty.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Well it was all Giants tonight, halting the Royals' postseason winning streak with a 7-1 victory.

I give the KC fans alot of credit for sticking around the entire game, even when their team was down 7-0 late. Of course, with average ticket prices over $1000.00 each (that's what I read somewhere earlier today and I find it obscene) I guess they wanted their money's worth win or lose.

Okay. Now we've got a series!

FOX Sports Network is very happy. :D

And they are objective , fair, balanced, etc. Those bow ties and tight shirt collars must be helping circulation :)

[70's Songwriter]

I can just imagine how much fun it would have been to be out in San Francisco last night. The Saturday night just before Halloween is THE biggest night of the year here. SF embraces Halloween as though we invented it. Now combine that with a win in a very tight, nail-biting world series featuring our beloved Giants, and you have a receipt for bedlam.

Last night my former band played the second of two sold out Halloween shows at Bimbo's, perhaps the best venue in town. Meanwhile, much earlier in the evening, we were strolling around a mall in Marin so that our 2-year old could trick or treat and to enter our dog in a canine costume contest, thus illustrating with stark clarity life's big trade offs.

The funnest thing about watching this series is Hunter Pence, who is before our eyes is becoming a living legend. Not just for his playing, because although he's very good, he's not a superstar, but rather for the way he plays, personifying the old saying "he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played." You can squint your eyes and imagine him on the 1915 Cincinnati Reds, or something like that. He's a larger than life character and a complete original, in an age when such a thing seems to be more and more rare. Win or lose, I want to be more like Hunter.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived