Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it too early to talk about our Favorite Albums of 2013?

Philip Clark

I've been thrashing "The Speed of Things" by Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr (worst band name ever?).

Really decent, slightly left-field, pop album. Great melodies, harmonies and production.

Anyway, I like it. Here's a song:

[video:youtube]

Hang in there for the chorus - it's worth it.

I'll be checking out the other tips above now.

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't know.

My favorites are my only new "albums", which are actually not colored sleeve vinyl things, but legal unencrypted, high resolution downloads with .pdf artwork from HDtracks:

A Rise in the Road - Yellowjackets

Super Collider - Megadeth

Avalon: A Tribute To Mississippi John Hurt - Rory Block

Expert music, I suppose, but the first is certainly recommended to be enjoyed for keyboard players, and probably belongs in a "best of" list, not just because it is the latest YJ.

T.

Arctic Monkeys - AM

Incredibly surprising how great this album is. I remember these guys as a fun punk band when I was in college. This is a mature, musical effort which is just great!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Thanks for the tip, that Dumpstaphunk album is incredible.

Great Gabriel tune, I still enjoy "Plays Live" the most, it was the album that made me really appreciate him. I miss the days of having nothing to do but playing that album from start to finish as loud as I could.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Every year around this time, I start thinking that this year wasn't that great for new albums, then I sort my iTunes library by year, and realize there was some killer stuff put out.

My top listens this year, in no particular order:

Tim Berne/Snakeoil: Shadow Man. I've been a fan of Berne's since the '80's, and while last years ECM debut seemed to play a little too close to the ECM/chamber jazz esthetic for me, this record kills. Berne writes some incredibly complicated tunes, and here, Matt Mitchell (piano) navigates them fiercely. The bass-less, 2-horn quartet gives Mitchell a lot of space to fill, and he does t well.

Dave Holland: Prism (Dare2): Dave Holland has rarely returned to the electric Jazz/Rock of the his stint with Miles, but he does here, with a terrific band featuring Craig Taborn on piano and Rhodes. Taborn is superb, as always.

Pat Metheny: Tap (Nonesuch/Tzadik): Two of my favorite artists, Metheny and John Zorn, collaborate here, Metheny recording a set of Zorn's compositions, playing all the instruments except drums. The tunes push Metheny into some interesting directions, there are some really great arrangements here.

Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused to Sing (Kscope). It took me a while to come around to Steven Wilson, I've never liked Porcupine Tree as much as many of my friends do. His live release from last year is the first thing that really blew me away, and this record builds on that.

Other things that blew my mind this year:

Vijay Iyer/Mike Ladd: Holding it Down: The Veteran's Dream Project

The Dr. Lonnie Smith Octet: In The Beginning

Wayne Horvitz/Zony Mash + Horns: :Live at the Royal Room

Jim Alfredson's Dirty Fingers: A Tribute to Big John Patton

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Dave Holland: Prism (Dare2): Dave Holland has rarely returned to the electric Jazz/Rock of the his stint with Miles, but he does here, with a terrific band featuring Craig Taborn on piano and Rhodes. Taborn is superb, as always.

Seeing Prism later this month at Birdland. :thu:

Seeing Prism later this month at Birdland. :thu:

Very cool. They didn't come any closer to me than Seattle, about a 6 hour drive, a friend and I seriously considered the road trip to see them.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I loved "Racine Carrée" by belgian musician Stromae. Nice songs, nice lyrics (in french) with lots of synths and beats. Its also very interesting to see the guy performing on stage with his keyboard player (laptop, moini keyboard, Axiom 61) and his drummer (laptop, drum pad). There are pre programmed stuff and many parts played live. I think the hole concept is very refreshing.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I just received the album Found by David Helpling and Jon Jenkins. Definitely at the top of my list for 2013. One of the tracks is used in this video:

Info on the album:

www.deepexile.com

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Joe

Dumpstaphunk - Dirty Word

Dude. Finally listening to this. "Water" is, without a doubt, my jam of the year.

THANK YOU for turning me onto this.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I'm glad you guys are digging Dumpstaphunk, but IIRC, it was D-Bon who turned me on to it, so blame him, too. :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm going to make a couple of Shameless Plugs for some friends you may know.

On the Verge by Fabulous Thunderbirds - produced and keys performed by our friend kanker

Dedicated, Re-Dedicated, and Dirty Fingers - Organissimo and/or Jim Alfredson

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Been bumping The Internet and Jim's Dirty Fingers pretty hard for the last few days.

Got my eye on Tigran's Shadow Theatre as well.

There are also plenty of albums released in 2012 that I'm just catching up on now. Guh, it never stops. :sick::cool:

Feel free to check out my Best-of-2012 Soul Music reviews HERE and HERE.

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I've been thrashing "The Speed of Things" by Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr (worst band name ever?).

Really decent, slightly left-field, pop album. Great melodies, harmonies and production.

Anyway, I like it. Here's a song:

Hang in there for the chorus - it's worth it.

I'll be checking out the other tips above now.

Oh, I like that. Reminds me of Andrew Bird (maybe because of the whistling) crossed with 60's psychedelia. If you don't know Andrew..here is a sample.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Ditto on Pat Metheny!!!

But now I'm gonna have to show my love for the hard rock stuff...

Was looking forward to a new Seether album but they only released a compilation this year... I might buy it anyway just because I'm so in awe of these guys.

And I stumbled onto a local Fort Worth band this year - Black Dutch Sioux - 4 song EP released late 2012 but didn't start getting much attention until recently. I promise I have no affiliation with this band, but someone sent me this youtube and told me they filmed it right down the road from my house (I live in the boonies outside Ft Worth) - it just reminds me of good old rock n roll that I miss so much :

Saw Shad last night without knowing him too well. Flying Colours has done pretty well, he seems to have stepped up a notch in the game after this release. I had bought a beer during the opener, and could either buy three more, or CD. Didn't take me long to pick the disc. :cool: Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but from the tracks, as well as last night's show, I'd recommend it pretty darn heavily.

• 1 month later...

Ok, the year's over. I'm resurrecting this thread for hindsight. Here's my lists, not counting about a hundred honorable mentions. My list is Indie Soul centric:

BEST ALBUMS FOR SALE

The Internet Feel Good

Eric Lau One of Many

Robert Glasper Black Radio 2

Joanna Borromeo Kaleidoscope

Dolla Lova Fall For You

José James No Beginning No End

Jeff Bernat Modern Renaissance

Reggie B DNA

Marie Dahlstrom Gloom EP

Teisha Marie The Girl From Nowhere

BEST OF FREE

Natasha Alexander Super

Tay Walker- Tay Walker EP

Bobby Earth The Book of Genesynth

Anduze Ten Thousand Hours (Mixtape Vol. 2)

Vib EP For You

Chris Dave and the Drumheadz Mixtape

Darryl Reeves The Dillaquarium Mixtape

Hawk House A Little More Elbow Room

Jordan Rakei Franklins Room

Amp Live Kaleidoscope Theory EP

Archived