Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha GX1

TommyS

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the total production was 58, and as CEB stated, the majority never left Japan.

I was able to get my hands on a photocopy of the manual, which I still have. That's about as close as I ever think I'm going to get to one.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

We had Hans Zimmer's GX1 (which, IIRC, was either owned or being borrowed by Mr. Emerson at the time) at Alesis for a while when we were sampling it for the Vintage Synths Q-Card. Erik Norlander (who was also at Alesis at the time) took advantage of it being there to use it on his Threshold record. We had a ball playing with that bad boy. :cool:

I'm having lunch with Erik tomorrow, so I'll check with him to refresh my memory as far as it's ownership. Pretty sure Hans has it now, though....

Erik used it on the beginning of this tune. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

...after a tractor blew through Emo's barn-cum-studio and dragged his original (and highly customized) GX-1 out the other wall and across a field.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I always wanted to reproduce the ELP "fluteish" solo and organ/synth sounds in Fanfare.

I'm not really an expert in synthesis but if anybody has a any suggestion on how to start it will be greatly appreciated.

The trumpets sound is of course grandiose, but you can emulate it easily (well except the crazy modulation so toward the end of the 2nd part)

I have the arturia CS80, which, I guess is the closest you can get to a GX1....

ABBA's GX1, which was also used by Led Zep's John Paul Jone on their In Through The Out Door album:

[video:youtube]

That guy tends to talk too much! :facepalm:

I really liked his presenting style...but most of the commenters on Youtube seem to agree with you. He's getting abused pretty hard, lol!

The Hans Zimmer GX-1 was Emerson's, which was a spare purchased from John Paul Jones of LZ.

That's what I thought.

...and Erik tells me the unit is now owned by Bill Sautter.

...and you thought a CS-80 was heavy... It took eight roadies to cart around Emerson's GX-1.

Nope. Next best thing is reading about Gordon Reid's quest.

Part 1

Part 2

When I read this:

"Now, if you know anything about large analogue synthesizers, you probably know that they don't like changes in temperature, they don't like changes in humidity..."

I immediately thought of this picture:

http://kids.britannica.com/psychedelic/images/opsyroc148p1.jpg

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I remember Agnetha from ABBA in a documentary radio program from the late 70s mentioning (in wonderful Swedish accent) :"Zhe G-X-1".

Listening to a small number of the internet recordings of the type of machine, and maybe even the one she at the time was talking about, I hadn't suspected such high emotional musical content, and it sounds still better than I know. Great engineering.

T.

If you want a host of GX-1 sounds, consider an Alesis QSR and the Vintage Synths Q-Card. As DB wrote above, they sampled a host of sounds into it, and additionally, you get Emo's Hammond and synths, and a lot more as well.

I found it very good for the traditional GX-1 stuff, and these days they go for a song.

..Joe

Archived