Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the essence of a good band name?

RichieP_MechE

I virtually always excuse myself when a project I'm working with starts talking band names. You'd have to look long and hard to find somebody who cares less about the name of the band than me. With the exception of the really juvenile crap like names are sexually charged double entendre and worse, something with an obscenity in the name itself - any name the rest of the band it happy with is fine by me.

I hate debating matters of personal taste - which makes discussions about whether of not a given name "suggests what kind of music we do" downright painful. Band names are ALL a matter of personal taste. Call it whatever makes you happy.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you need a name you won't be embarrassed to say when someone asks you what your band is called.

This. A thousand times this. When I joined my last full-time cover band, they had a pretty bad name. Then after about a year, they changed it to an astonishingly, embarrassingly, brain-searingly horrible name. People would ask me the band's name, and before I would say it out loud, I would first have to explain that I had nothing to do with it it and didn't approve it. Then I would say the name. Then I would see the look on the person's face, and I'd say, "I know, I'm sorry, it's horrible. But it's not my call." Never once did anyone tell me it wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be. What's worse, it was a name that required explanation. "Why on earth are you called that?", people would always ask. Well, this part refers to this thing, and this other part refers to this other thing, despite the fact that neither of those references is in any way apparent to anyone. "Oh, I guess that makes sense, but it's still really dumb." Yes, yes it is.

So don't do that.

It should be 2 words. First should be some kind of metal, the second should be either a flying dirigible or an insect of some kind.

Pewter Prawn

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

you need a name you won't be embarrassed to say when someone asks you what your band is called.

This. A thousand times this. When I joined my last full-time cover band, they had a pretty bad name. Then after about a year, they changed it to an astonishingly, embarrassingly, brain-searingly horrible name. People would ask me the band's name, and before I would say it out loud, I would first have to explain that I had nothing to do with it it and didn't approve it. Then I would say the name. Then I would see the look on the person's face, and I'd say, "I know, I'm sorry, it's horrible. But it's not my call." Never once did anyone tell me it wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be. What's worse, it was a name that required explanation. "Why on earth are you called that?", people would always ask. Well, this part refers to this thing, and this other part refers to this other thing, despite the fact that neither of those references is in any way apparent to anyone. "Oh, I guess that makes sense, but it's still really dumb." Yes, yes it is.

So don't do that.

OK, you can't give us that build-up, and then not tell us the band name! C'mon, man, we gotta know!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

It should be 2 words. First should be some kind of metal, the second should be either a flying dirigible or an insect of some kind.

Love this, and replies to it. In my first band at school, the singer, in all seriousness, suggested "Tin Dirigible" or "Antimony Blimp" as names. (See - repeated stressed vowels?)

Regards, Mike..

With the exception of the really juvenile crap like names are sexually charged double entendre and worse, something with an obscenity in the name itself

There have been several local bands using clever names like that. I find them crude and was embarrassed for the members .

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Name your band Free Beer. That way when you play a club the readerboard will say: Tonight.......Free Beer 9pm to 1am.

Well, we know Tom will show up at least. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Name your band Free Beer. That way when you play a club the readerboard will say: Tonight.......Free Beer 9pm to 1am.
IIRC, that's how Barenaked Ladies got their name. They were supposed to be on a bill with a band called "Free Beer" so they figured the bill could say "Free Beer and Barenaked Ladies."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If accuracy and humor are the key criteria, my soul band should be called "The Below Average White Band".

I've always wanted to put together a band with pilots and shoe salesmen called "Wingtip Eddy and the Elevators". We could play malls and airport lounges.

There was a fun band in Ann Arbor back in the day, called "The Watusis." They used a different adjective for every gig. The only one I remember was the first time I saw their name, "1000-dollar". Made no sense, but it worked.

Today, a band name should pass the Google test: it shouldn't get a million hits for unrelated things. It should be available on Facebook and ReverbNation.

I have a perfect name for a soul band, but oddly enough my soul bandmates disagreed, so we stuck with "The Platform," which we got more or less by default (our first gig was a corporate battle-of-the-bands and our employer picked it.)

There was a fun band in Ann Arbor back in the day, called "The Watusis." They used a different adjective for every gig. The only one I remember was the first time I saw their name, "1000-dollar". Made no sense, but it worked.

There was another band from Ann Arbor about 10 years ago called Coke Dick Motorcycle Awesome, which has to be the greatest band name of all time.

So don't do that.

OK, you can't give us that build-up, and then not tell us the band name! C'mon, man, we gotta know!

Yeah, don't leave us hangin' here!!

• 4 months later...

An update to the whole reason I started this thread:

We finally came up with a name all were satisfied with -

The Electromotives

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/Electromotives_FinalLogo.png

It has a 60's soul vibe to it IMO which is kind of what we were going for.

With the exception of the really juvenile crap like names are sexually charged double entendre and worse, something with an obscenity in the name itself

..... I find them crude and was embarrassed for the members .

Something like "Embarrassed For The Member"?

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Archived