Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does this look right? (Mellotron content)

Losendoskeys

I'm not sure............

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Facebook/iOS%20Photos/1382898_10200716969195299_749273480_n.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting setup. Is the Kronos doing the pro-soloist work? As to your question ....

I understand you may have some reasonably active mellotron parts to play, especially if you are doing some of the older tunes. However, I've always preferred TB's later L arrangement, with the "pad machine" on the left. I understand the flexibility and reduced footprint of stacking. I don't know if I could enjoy having the "passive" hand so high ... :idk

However, if it feels right to you, it is right. :thu:

Given the context of your gig, I'd probably walk in, look at the rig & go wtf? If however, the wife was brave enough to come with me (not likely), after I spend 10 minutes explaining what's wrong with your rig laid out that way, she'd roll her eyes & go "that's nice dear". So.... I guess that gives you some perspective, perhaps. :idk

Then again, it's a moot point until y'all venture over to this side of the pond! :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Thanks guys - in fact I'm not likely to gig the M4000D - it's "the precious" and I can get all the sounds I need from the Fantom XR and Kronos Mellotron-wise.

But to D-Bones point - the sound is awesome - OK, you don't get the klunk and whirr you would with a "real" one but the wooden keys do make a difference to the feel.

I love it! :cool:

I've had a blast up on Youtube for some time......

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watchv=9nzMsfhgS4g

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

No it's not right. Two things wrong with it.

1. there is supposed to be a minimoog on top

2. it isn't sitting in my house.

One of my dream keyboards right there!

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

BLASPHEMY! Seriously, sounds great. Marcus has made a fine machine.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

BLASPHEMY! Seriously, sounds great. Marcus has made a fine machine.

Cheers Dave but I'd still like one that whirrs, wheezes and clunks.

ALMOST swapped my XK3C + cash for an M400 - now that WOULD be blasphemy!

@Morizzle - thanks but it's not new - to my shame it has been stuck on top of my CP70 under a cover with my ARP Prosoloist for two years since I sold my ARP Quadra to buy it (did I name drop enough vintage gear there? :))

Interesting setup. Is the Kronos doing the pro-soloist work? As to your question ....

I understand you may have some reasonably active mellotron parts to play, especially if you are doing some of the older tunes. However, I've always preferred TB's later L arrangement, with the "pad machine" on the left. I understand the flexibility and reduced footprint of stacking. I don't know if I could enjoy having the "passive" hand so high ... :idk

However, if it feels right to you, it is right. :thu:

Tusker

The M4000D isn't leaving the comfort of my little office and I have already adopted the L-shape - it just happens to fit nicely on the Z-stand when the rig is at home.

I use a Verghese Prosoloist Rack+ for the ProS sounds - I know there are some good samples but actually sampling doesn't really work for the ProS sounds.

I have the ProS rack MIDI'd to my XP30.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/psp3sm-1_zps2c4e7fe4.jpg

Then again, it's a moot point until y'all venture over to this side of the pond! :laugh:

We'd love to! Just need a sugar daddy...........

The M4000D isn't leaving the comfort of my little office and I have already adopted the L-shape - it just happens to fit nicely on the Z-stand when the rig is at home.

Makes perfect sense now.

I use a Verghese Prosoloist Rack+ for the ProS sounds - I know there are some good samples but actually sampling doesn't really work for the ProS sounds.

Indeed. Nothing cuts through like a real analog lead. Another thing of beauty. :thu:

Looks very cool. How heavy is it? I can't imagine it really houses much in the way of electronics.

We had 2 Mark VI in the studio I used to engineer at, so I had plenty of time to play and record them. They required more upkeep and TLC than a '67 GTO. Sometimes you would litterally have to kick them to get them to work.

Because of the limited number of keys, abesnse of sample loops and no sustain pedal, you had to approach them in a different way from a playing perspective. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Actually, it adds to the character of the overall sound. I assume the M4000D is the same?

Looks very cool. How heavy is it? I can't imagine it really houses much in the way of electronics.

We had 2 Mark VI in the studio I used to engineer at, so I had plenty of time to play and record them. They required more upkeep and TLC than a '67 GTO. Sometimes you would litterally have to kick them to get them to work.

Because of the limited number of keys, abesnse of sample loops and no sustain pedal, you had to approach them in a different way from a playing perspective. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Actually, it adds to the character of the overall sound. I assume the M4000D is the same?

HI

The M4000D weighs in at 17.5Kg versus the M400 at 55Kg!

In terms of electronics, here is a view inside - more space for wooden keys than electronics (space on the left is for the power supply when carrying):

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Mellotron/DSC00026.jpg

It is BEAUTIFULLY made, a real quality job.

The thing about the M4000D is, because it is a custom OS, based on streaming sampling and has a full MIDI implementation, it can be as near the "real thing" as you like OR you can cut out the 8 second tape length emulation, you can have aftertouch, etc etc,

Also it has samples from Chamberlin, Mark 1, Mark 2 and M400 libraries so it's not "just" a Mellotron in that sense.

Personally I like to play it as the original.

More info here: http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/mellotron-m4000d/152362

No it's not right. Two things wrong with it.

1. there is supposed to be a minimoog on top

2. it isn't sitting in my house.

One of my dream keyboards right there!

Fixed it for you (-ish)

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/ca00ed2f-2e51-4ef7-bc96-2eb683f6cc8f_zpsb833d8ac.jpg

And actually thats why I moved the M4000D.

The feet on the little sh1t left black marks in the paint of the M4000D :(

I tried alcohol, lighter fluid and petrol before T-cut eventually took most of it out.

To say I was p**sed is an understatement..... :mad:

Archived