Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Come on, Yamaha...!

dazzjazz

Isn't it about time Yamaha updated the CP line?

The last round were good but not great, especially given the poor user interface and weight considerations.

Anyone know if this will happen soon?

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI

CP70 released 1976 (37 years ago)

CP300, CP33 released 5/2006 (7 years ago)

CP1,CP5, CP50 release9 12/2009 (3 1/2yrs ago)

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Am I the only piano player who longs for a 73 or 76 key instrument with pitch and mod wheels mounted above the keys so as not to make the board any larger or heavier than it really needs to be? I would certainly be interested in a CP5 or CP50 with this configuration. Are you listening Yamaha, Roland, and Korg?

I have been looking at this instrument but it does not seem to be available in the United States. Furthermore, no one can seem to comment on its build quality or reliability. I'm just a jazz combo and big band piano player that needs a light and compact instrument that is playable. I much prefer the modeled pianos since I can hear the overtones I expect to hear when I voice a chord. As of right now, I travel with my Kurzweil PC1SE (76 Keys) and a laptop running Pianoteq. I would love to try out the CP5 or CP50 in a 76 or 73 key version and see if it can become an all in one solution.

http://www.physispiano.com/products.php?physis-piano-h3

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Am I the only piano player who longs for a 73 or 76 key instrument with pitch and mod wheels mounted above the keys so as not to make the board any larger or heavier than it really needs to be? I would certainly be interested in a CP5 or CP50 with this configuration. Are you listening Yamaha, Roland, and Korg?

LOL yamaha did that with mox8, after users screaming for it on 88s for years.... 5 seconds later Keyboard mag shit all over them for doing that

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/yamaha-mox8/5809

-Greg

Am I the only piano player who longs for a 73 or 76 key instrument with pitch and mod wheels mounted above the keys so as not to make the board any larger or heavier than it really needs to be?

NO

LOL yamaha did that with mox8, after users screaming for it for years.... 5 seconds later Keyboard mag shit all over them for doing that

What are you talking about? The Mox is 88-key, and they gave it a KeyBuy award.

Btw, the funniest part of that review is this:

WEIGHT 64 voices.

POLYPHONY 32.6 lbs.

LOL yamaha did that, after users screaming for it for years.... 5 seconds later Keyboard mag reviewer shit all over them for doing that

That's because Yamaha placed them too far back on the front panel. If you place the wheels close to the keys (like Casio did with the PX-5s) it's not a reach at all to put them above the keybed. Casio even molded their side panel with a hand grip so you can hold on while moving the wheels with your thumb.

Someone was thinking when they made this one.

Bit OT, but hey, some of us are still waiting for Yamaha to really update the Motif line. Adding more wave ROM and incremental features every few years is getting really old.

:deadhorse:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm just a jazz combo and big band piano player that needs a light and compact instrument that is playable.

73 keys for big band seems awfully limiting to me.

I use the Casio PX3 for gigging with combos and big bands and it is very light and pretty damn compact. And it sounds plenty good for big band work and some combo stuff.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Kurzweil SP4-7 has the wheels up top, but that's not a weighted action, and unfortunately they didn't put the wheels there on the SP4-8 or SP5-8. A 73/76 weighted board without the added length of wheels on the left? The only one I can think of is the Nord Stage 2-76. Other than that, you've got the ones with no wheels at all (i.e. Korg SV-1, some Nords like the Nord Electro 4HP)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

LOL yamaha did that.... 5 seconds later Keyboard mag reviewer shit all over it for doing that

Wow, I missed that. I really don't think most people need 88 keys. At least I know I don't. I hate to lug around 88 keys when all I need is 76 or 73.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Am I the only piano player who longs for a 73 or 76 key instrument with pitch and mod wheels mounted above the keys so as not to make the board any larger or heavier than it really needs to be?

NO

+1

However, given that keyboards like MOX8 and PX-5S are no longer than my MR76, I'd rather have an 88. But then, I drive a minivan, and each of these keyboards (in a good case) fits behind my front seats. If I drove a smaller car I might need a smaller board.

For a smaller one, I'd want a 77-key C-G board. Oddly enough, I didn't get a lot of love for that when I did a poll. My suspicion is that if someone made it, players would dis it until they tried it. However, I'd have to replace my NE2/74 with a /61, to expose the pitch/mod wheels.

That's because Yamaha placed them too far back on the front panel. If you place the wheels close to the keys (like Casio did with the PX-5s) it's not a reach at all to put them above the keybed.

I think that had to do with needing to have those wheels clear the keyboard (part of which is behind what you can see). The Casio design is nice, though it probably depends on having both smaller diameter wheels and a shallow keyboard mechanism.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That's because Yamaha placed them too far back on the front panel. If you place the wheels close to the keys (like Casio did with the PX-5s) it's not a reach at all to put them above the keybed.

I think that had to do with needing to have those wheels clear the keyboard (part of which is behind what you can see). The Casio design is nice, though it probably depends on having both smaller diameter wheels and a shallow keyboard mechanism.

Yep, if you ever taken apart a yamaha weighted keys board, you'll see the real estate issue getting wheels closer to keybed assembly

-Greg

LOL yamaha did that with mox8, after users screaming for it on 88s for years.... 5 seconds later Keyboard mag shit all over them for doing that

On the MOX8, I found the placement of the pitch and mod wheels at the left rear corner of the panel to be an awkward reacha small tradeoff for the compact size and portability.
Not what I'd call "shit all over."

Plus it helps things a lot when they aren't really "wheels" at all ;)

Casio raised the the front panel what looks like about two inches from the keybed to get them to fit too (just eyeballing it from across the room).

I'm just a jazz combo and big band piano player that needs a light and compact instrument that is playable.

73 keys for big band seems awfully limiting to me.

I use the Casio PX3 for gigging with combos and big bands and it is very light and pretty damn compact. And it sounds plenty good for big band work and some combo stuff.

I originally used a Rhodes Mark II 73 when I started playing with big bands 25+ years ago. I never had a problems with 73 keys but I did have a problems with the weight.

Quite honestly, I would not even miss the pitch and mod wheel. I never ever use the pitch wheel. The only time I use the mod wheel is when i engage the tremolo for Rhodes and Wurly. I would rather use a foot switch for that.

Also, I must say that sampled based keyboards are out of the question for me. I struggled with sampled digital pianos from Roland, Yamaha, and Kurzweil for the longest time. And, I never really liked any of the multi gigabyte software based packages either. When I first played Pianoteq, it was like a light went off in my head. I sincerely felt that for the first time I was playing an instrument and not a recording. I heard things coming from my playing that I didn't hear from sampled based keyboards.

Isn't it about time Yamaha updated the CP line?

The last round were good but not great, especially given the poor user interface and weight considerations.

Anyone know if this will happen soon?

Darren

yeah definitely waiting here, although it doesn't seem to be such a high priority these days. It helps when you're busy working and practicing.. :cool:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Yamaha doesn't seem like a company that will ever make keyboards for small niches such as pianists who want 73/6 portable keys. There is the Nord HP 73, the Korg SV1 73, and the rather odd Roland RD 64. I would love to see Yamaha enter the fray but it's not likely to happen. I'm satisfied with my P105, but would find it even more useful if it was 76 keys.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If Yamaha were to really research what players need, they could really, really dominate the market. They certainly have the best finger-to-sound connection in my opinion. They have always built their instruments to be bullet- proof on the road, but perhaps these days there are better technologies that could shave a few kilos off the weight. They seem immune to the successes of small companies like Nord and now Casio.

I regret selling my CP33. Oh well, c'est la vie.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Archived