Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice for Upcoming Gig

MusicaL

This Sunday, I will be playing the biggest gig of my life. My band is opening for a CCR cover band at the Dana Point Summer Concerts in the Park series. We have an hour to play and are ready to rock. For many of you on this board, this is what you probably do every week. But for my bandmates and I, this is a big deal and I know there will be nerves (and potentially other things) to deal with. We should expect a crowd ranging from 750 to 1,500 people I'm told.

I am taking my regular rig (Nord Stage classic on the bottom, and NS2 on top). NS for EP's, Wurlies, and occasional pads. NS also triggers a bass patch residing in the NS2 (I play LHB), and sometime is used as a lower manual to the NS2 B3. The NS2 is for organ which goes through a vent.

I'm also bringing my little bass amp which I always use to tone shape just in case it's needed, and my K10.

So, what should we expect? For you who have played outdoors to large crowds what words of wisdom and advice would you give me and the other band members to take on stage with us? Are there any things/surprises inherent in playing large outdoor venues?

All comments welcome!

TIA,

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order, some practical and conceptual things:

1) Playing outdoors - plan for unpredictable sunlight (might not be able to see displays clearly), gusts of wind, dust, sand, etc. Bring a hat, sunglasses, towel, sunscreen and ways to hold down any paper you'll be using.

2) Bring extra cables in the event of failure. Gigging 101 I know, but often forgotten right before your biggest gig.

3) As an opening act you may end up with exactly half the time you were originally promised for set up and tear down. If you haven't already, I might practice your rig set up and tear down to minimize time, be entirely relaxed when you hit stage, et.

4) I play my best when I can put aside all the technical issues out of my mind and focus on making music that touches others. It's a mental state that is always threatened by stress and anxiety. Whatever helps you mitigate this, be disciplined about making time for this the day of the gig.

5) Get some exercise the morning of the gig. Getting the blood flowing always helps me play more relaxed and be more dynamic on stage.

I don't know if any of this helps, or if all of this is old hat for you, but it's what came to mind quickly.

Have a great gig Sunday and kill it!

Tim

Set up as tight as possible, like you would in a club. It minimizes the need for extra monitoring, and because sound travels basically in a sphere outside since there's little there to reflect it or contain it, you'll adjust to the situation a lot easier.

Also, remember there are bathrooms there, just like any other gig. People will go to the bathroom, just like any other gig. That helps it seem like there's nothing more inherently "special" about the gig - kind of the gig equivalent of telling a speaker to imagine the audience naked. I would have advised the naked thing, but the crowd for a CCR tribute act may not be one you want to imagine naked :laugh:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Is someone running sound for you? You'll find you need much more power (SPL, strictly speaking) as there are no walls for the sound to bounce off.

+1 on setting up as tight as usual - for the same reason. I like playing outdoors as the stage volume is often lower!

Also bring every extension cable you own. And buy a few extra.

Cheers, Mike.

I would have advised the naked thing, but the crowd for a CCR tribute act may not be one you want to imagine naked :laugh:

Great. I'm watching a bunch of college coeds dressed for summer take my midterm, and now I have a whole set of mental images I didn't need today.

I would have advised the naked thing, but the crowd for a CCR tribute act may not be one you want to imagine naked :laugh:

Great. I'm watching a bunch of college coeds dressed for summer take my midterm, and now I have a whole set of mental images I didn't need today.

I'm playing the world's saddest song for you on the world's smallest Bechstein. :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hmmm, that's a slightly complicated rig for an opening band slot. What sometimes happens is the second band sound checks first, and then, because everything is running behind schedule, you have to set up, sound check, and be ready to play much more quickly than you were expecting, the major downside of which is stress that you shouldn't have to deal with. Simplyfying your rig for this show is sort of insurance against that scenario.

On the other hand, it's the biggest gig of your life, so of course you want your best equipment, so I suspect that's what you'll go with. But you've been warned . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Also, remember there are bathrooms there, just like any other gig. People will go to the bathroom, just like any other gig.

I'll remember this when I finally get to Carnegie Hall.

Now, for a totally tangential question, if my brain naturally wants to combine the college co-ed and the bathroom scenarios, am I in serious need of help?

Sound is being provided. We don't have the gear that would service a large outdoor venue.

The sun is going to wreak havoc with seeing all of Nord's LED settings -- not good. So, I'll have to go strictly by ear, which I've done before, but I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

I like the idea of setting up closely. But, I have a feeling I'll be overruled by some of my bandmates who will argue that we would "look better" if we spread out on stage!! I couldn't care less how we "look" on stage. We'll see what happens on that front.

Imagining the CCR crowd in their birthday suits . . . . :facepalm: Thanks Kanker!

Adan, that rig is not as complicated as it sounds. It's pretty straight forward actually, and gives me everything I need (except the heft, which isn't too bad). But, if you have any ideas to streamline it, then I'm open.

aL

Some great advice above; here's some more for the whole band that may help:

1. Identify the stage manager as soon as possible, and follow his/her instructions ONLY. Stagehands and others like to sometimes think for themselves, and this can be a bad thing. Last thing you need before playing is an angry stage manager barking "WTF are you DOING?" at you.

2. If there are stagehands available; know what you want ahead of time so they can quickly set your stuff up, and strike it when you're done. If you don't want them setting up your stuff, at least let them carry it onto stage.

3. When you're done playing, IMMEDIATELY strike the stage of your gear, then get it out of the way backstage. You can hang out later.

4. Know what you want in your monitor feed, and be prepared to give it to the sound guy quickly. Don't get too technical with "less mids in mic 1, more low end in the bass," etc. You're playing for an hour, not all night. Get enough of a mix that you can hear, then get to work.

5. If the size of the crowd is intimidating, just focus on your band mates and your playing. If you make a mistake, don't acknowledge it with a wince or a wink; just move on.

6. If you're playing on a large stage, and used to only playing small ones, I suggest having a rehearsal where you can spread out a little bit. Having more elbow room is great, but it affects how you hear the rest of the band, and you should be prepared for that.

7. Normal professional etiquette is in play 100% at festivals or other tightly controlled events - be prompt, be sober, follow instructions, and when you're done stay out of the way.

8. If the opportunity arises, and they're there, thank the person who booked you in person.

What sometimes happens is the second band sound checks first, and then, because everything is running behind schedule, you have to set up, sound check, and be ready to play much more quickly . . .

Be prepared there likely won't be a sound check, just a line check. Like other posters I'll reiterate you will need to do something about sun glare on your settings (especially with Nords... wear your best polarized sunglasses), and remember the stage sound will likely be dry and not as muscular as you're probably used to.

And acknowledging what Kevin said, and in homage to the headliner... "There's A Bathroom On The Right."

:cool:

Here for the gear.

Hmmm, that's a slightly complicated rig for an opening band slot. What sometimes happens is the second band sound checks first, and then, because everything is running behind schedule, you have to set up, sound check, and be ready to play much more quickly than you were expecting, the major downside of which is stress that you shouldn't have to deal with. Simplyfying your rig for this show is sort of insurance against that scenario.

On the other hand, it's the biggest gig of your life, so of course you want your best equipment, so I suspect that's what you'll go with. But you've been warned . . .

Yup. So I would plan on using the two boards, but have a fallback option, in case there's no time to run the second board, or there's some issue they don't have time to address. Make sure you have some appropriate presets programmed into each of the two boards such that you could get through the gig on either one alone without panicking. IOW, bring you best, but be prepared just in case you need to get by on your least. (Which I think is a good plan for any gig.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some of the replies seem a bit alarmist in my book, but it never hurts to prepare. I've had some nightmare gigs sharing the stage with other bands, but more often than not, if it's a large outdoor show with a professional sound company hired to handle production, it may be one of the easiest most desirable gigs you've played. I'd almost recommend the opposite - spread out so you can get your monitor dialed in however you want without excess bleed from anybody else. The great thing about outdoor is that sound dissipates - it doesn't bounce around. I always love the sound at outdoor gigs.

Things to be worried about have been mentioned: sun, setup/teardown/sound check time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Stick some bottled water in your gig bag.

Your first song will be your real sound check. Don't be afraid to take a few instants of time to ask for needed monitoring adjustments between it and the second song.

Bring product and promo material.

Good luck and have FUN!!!

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Your first song will be your real sound check.

Yup. So try to give the sound guy something easy to work with for your first song. Something where various instruments and/or multiple voices enter gradually as the song progresses, as opposed to something which comes in full bore on the one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yep. Playing an outdoor festival maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I got the shakes really bad. I was thinking to myself .... Self what the **** is wrong with you you have been doing this too long to get bad case of the nerves.... I was dehydrated and my body was starting to crash, I hadn't been drinking water. Beer and caffeine don't help much.

Humidity is a pain if it causes sticky hands. Having a solution for that may be nice. I put some babypowder on my hands before the set usually if it is really sticky. Having clean hands can help.

Have fun.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm playing the world's saddest song for you on the world's smallest Bechstein. :laugh:

But the view is so panoramic I still can't hear you. She blinded me with science says the song.

Didn't see this mentioned, (maybe I missed it), but set up as much as you can ahead of time and backstage to minimize the band's overall setup time. Keyboards on stands, pedals plugged in and sitting on top of boards, audio and power cables plugged in, etc. Recruit a stagehand or two to carry your rig on stage - make sure you tell them how to lift it and supervise them so nothing falls off.

Jamie

I don't move my rig with the board on the stands unless you have wheeled platforms which is common at large events.

If you are the opening band then you will probably be setup in front of the closing acts backline. I would unplug both boards and carry them to their cases off stage first thing then unlest the rig is on wheels. But that is just me.

When it gets hairy is when there are 3+ bands and you are scheduled somewhere in the middle.

Didn't see this mentioned, (maybe I missed it), but set up as much as you can ahead of time and backstage to minimize the band's overall setup time. Keyboards on stands, pedals plugged in and sitting on top of boards, audio and power cables plugged in, etc. Recruit a stagehand or two to carry your rig on stage - make sure you tell them how to lift it and supervise them so nothing falls off.

Jamie

I disagree with this. A stripped-down, simple setup is much better, and carrying 'boards one-by-one onto stage is a lot safer. Drop the whole thing, and you've just killed two beloved keyboards (that the festival organizers are NOT paying for).

A good middle ground is to set everything up backstage (if enough room and time), wrap the pedal and power cables around the stand, then take the keyboards off. Carry the stand and 'boards up separately, so all you have to do on stage is plug them in once the 'boards are on them. With two stagehands, that's one trip up and down.

Jamie

I disagree with this. A stripped-down, simple setup is much better, and carrying 'boards one-by-one onto stage is a lot safer. Drop the whole thing, and you've just killed two beloved keyboards (that the festival organizers are NOT paying for).

Listen to Jason.

Like I said if it is only two band the closing act should have the backline setup and their should soundcheck done first. Then you set up in front of their backline and you may have plenty of setup time. May be the easiest gig of your life.

*Someone mentioned polarized lenses - if you have gear with an LCD screen that can make the screen hard to read. My prescription sunglasses are polarized and I have to look over/under/around them to see LCD screens.

*Bring a small towel (for sweat). Not my idea; Douglas Adams.

* If you're using a set list, sheet music, or any other paper, bring a small sheet of plexiglass (8x11) to lay over it to keep it from blowing away.

* If your gear is going to be in the hot sun for any length of time (30 min or more), bring a white sheet or table cloth to cover it to keep it cool before you play. This will keep your electronics from overheating. I know my Kurz hates direct mid-day sun.

* They'll probably have power near you, but be prepared. I have a power strip with a 10' cord.

* Use whatever equipment of theirs they offer - monitors, cords, mics, mic stands, etc. - but keep a jealous eye on your own pedals, patch cords, etc. In the confusion of changing is when a lot of stuff walks off.

* Don't be afraid to tell the sound guy if you need to hear more of yourself in the monitor. Nothing kills the fun of a gig more than not being able to hear yourself.

* Breathe, and have fun!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Don't know what the weather is like there, but around here, even if the forecast is sunny for the foreseeable future.....TARPS! I've been heavily rained on as I raced to pack up during an unexpected downpour - surprised my rig survived. Due to the rain, we stuffed everything in the drummer's truck. When I got my keyboard out the next night for the gig, it was still wet.

+1 to water, towels, wind and sun protection, and simplicity.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Great feedback. Lots to digest here. I'm starting a to do list based on all the comments. Definitely on the list: water, sunscreen and towels!

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments. This is very very helpful.

aL

I've been heavily rained on as I raced to pack up during an unexpected downpour - surprised my rig survived.

It's California, dude.

For outdoor gigs, the best kind of fan to have at the show isn't some chick, it's one of these.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-1322434enh-z7.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hat. Water.

Get there early and make friends with the sound crew.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived