Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cameron Carpenter

Allister

Found this guy a few days ago, been looking through some of his stuff. I can't decide if he is just a more skilled Amanda Palmer or a genius.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

He also has some interesting opinions about the future of organs, I don't have much experience with organ playing so I can't really comment on that :P

Yamaha MOX8, Roland VK8, LESLIE HL822 Woop woop!!!! and a MBP running PT10 and Omnisphere. My Blog.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was on the cover of Keyboard Mag in August 2012.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/149348

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0101/0572/products/final_kb_08_12_cover_1024x1024.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think he's kind of awesome. As an organ player, he's a kind of an innovator, and sort of a interesting thinker too.

I've seen a few videos where he plays a Wurlitzer theater organ, and I actually like the sound of that more than the pipe organs he usually rocks.

Although I don't love every single song he plays, a lot of them are very cool.

Also, I saw a sound bite of an interview of Terry Riley at Moogfest (from whoknowswhen) and he said he was writing something for Mr. Carpenter, so yeah, I can't wait to hear what that's like. Super fascinating!

He's definitely a great player, but it seems (from youtube comments atleast) that the camps are devided. You either love him or hate him. I personally didn't like him at first because he seemed quite arrogant, but i'm converted. I really like his work and IMO everything he does is out of love for the organ, even it it pisses people off.
Yamaha MOX8, Roland VK8, LESLIE HL822 Woop woop!!!! and a MBP running PT10 and Omnisphere. My Blog.

I think he's kind of awesome. As an organ player, he's a kind of an innovator, and sort of a interesting thinker too.

He's got the classical organ world all excited, and the last time that happened was around 1735. :laugh: He can play, he's kind of like the Vanessa Mae of the Organ world but the guy has chops and is one of the movers and shakers in classical at this time.

If ya wanna see another classical musician whose doing his own thang, do a Google Image Search using three words = Hahn Bin Violin. That's one seriously demented cat.

He's got the classical organ world all excited, and the last time that happened was around 1735. :laugh: He can play, he's kind of like the Vanessa Mae of the Organ world but the guy has chops and is one of the movers and shakers in classical at this time.

If ya wanna see another classical musician whose doing his own thang, do a Google Image Search using three words = Hahn Bin Violin. That's one seriously demented cat.

Really strange, like a Lady gaga of violin. Great chops none the less.

I like his attitude. Although it may be great that different organs have different sounds and different capabilities, I can certainly see how it could be maddening for the organist. You basically have to relearn your approach to a piece at each new venue - your choreography for changing stops, the delay you're experiencing from the playing of a note to its sounding, the physicality of the instrument, the manuals themselves. It makes what he's doing on that thing that much more impressive, but at the same time his artistry and ability to deliver a peak performance at all times would be enhanced by simply having an instrument.

If I play a well maintained Yamaha C7 tonight in Indy and tomorrow I have to fly halfway around the world to sit behind another well maintained C7, I know within an extremely small margin of error/difference what to expect. When I play backline digital pianos and organs, it can be wildly different models with wildly different actions from one night to the next, and at wildly varying heights and levels of stability because of the stand. One night I get a good B-3, the next night an XK-2 or VK-7. The amount of rising above the instrument you have to do in those situations can be extreme, but at least they are standard enough that you can only complain so much compared to dealing with wildly different pipe organs from gig to gig. I fully understand his drive to modernize the traditional organ into something more akin to getting a New B-3 to play every night - the exact same instrument from gig to gig, that thing that oboists and violinists and trumpeters get to experience from gig to gig, an instrument that they truly and completely "know" within those same small variances I mentioned with the C7.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I like his attitude. Although it may be great that different organs have different sounds and different capabilities, I can certainly see how it could be maddening for the organist. You basically have to relearn your approach to a piece at each new venue - your choreography for changing stops, the delay you're experiencing from the playing of a note to its sounding, the physicality of the instrument, the manuals themselves. It makes what he's doing on that thing that much more impressive, but at the same time his artistry and ability to deliver a peak performance at all times would be enhanced by simply having an instrument.

He just had a touring organ built for him. clonk

Get down. A talent like that deserves their own instrument.

Get down. A talent like that deserves their own instrument.

There are a few classical guys that tour with their own pianos. Most of that stopped when the TSA blew up Krystian Zimerman's piano. :facepalm:

There are a few classical guys that tour with their own pianos. Most of that stopped when the TSA blew up Krystian Zimerman's piano. :facepalm:
Eh, he just needs to roll back a few decades, get rich from playing schlock on a soprano sax, drop a ton of money into a coffee shop, and buy his own Boeing..... :laugh:

He's definitely a great player, but it seems (from youtube comments atleast) that the camps are devided. You either love him or hate him. I personally didn't like him at first because he seemed quite arrogant, but i'm converted. I really like his work and IMO everything he does is out of love for the organ, even it it pisses people off.

He no doubt scares some of the old classical organ guard, but he has renewed interest in the instrument, and is appealing to new fans. His talent and personality will help propel classical organ into the future. I think he's great.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

He no doubt scares some of the old classical organ guard, but he has renewed interest in the instrument, and is appealing to new fans. His talent and personality will help propel classical organ into the future. I think he's great.

I agree, he has really gotten me into more organ music.

Cameron Carpenter may have unusual clothes or views or whatever. He delivers for his audiences, musically and technically, and to me, that is what is important. It's inspiring to see somebody reaching for excellence. Music needs more people like him.

Don't forget to check out this clip as you are evaluating him....

[video:youtube]pQxyQktNFwc

Serious playing indeed. Funky shoes though... :cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived