Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not enough synths!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WTF?!
That should be your sig.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I got a Prophet 08 rack a few weeks ago and am loving it (although I've been too busy with work to spend as much time as I want.)

I see on the DSI forum that a few people have taken delivery of the Prophet 12 and the early feedback sounds promising.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Looking at the front page, there's just too many threads about pianos and organs, and not enough synth threads. :cop:

So, who's bought a new synth recently? Or what are you lusting after? :idk:

dB

I bought a Voyager 2 weeks ago. Unlike D-Bon, I'm keeping mine. :D I do have to sell an awful lot of gear to finance it though. I already own a DSI P8 Keyboard PE. That will be all for me for the foreseeable future, unless I can come up with another $600 for the Korg MS 20 Mini :)

:nopity:

Still diggin' my Jupiter-80, which I've had for about a month or so now. Combis within combis....huge sound! Nice companion to my Nord Stage.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

mostly playing my Wurly, but I did get a Moog Prodigy off my drummer awhile ago, SO much fun! :cool:

I'm also working on doing a trade for an Arp Omni 1, which I'm sure someone here will tell me is a horrible piece of junk.

don't care, it has THAT sound. ;)

I am THIS CLOSE to buying a Sub Phatty.

I reread all the threads about it and saw mostly negativity about 24 keys.

But everytime I play the thing, I get super inspired.

I played one at Gearfest 3 weeks ago and loved it. Until they hard sold me on it and hovered and bummed me out so I moved on. I wish I had bought it though because the price was great and when I called 2 days later they said they were BACKORDERED but would be happy to sell me a LIL PHATTY. No thanks.

Then I decided I didn't need it anyway, I could use 1K for lots of other things and I am not rich.

Then I changed my mind because I have a ton of hip hop cues to write and need some fresh sounds.

Then I tweeted Moog and they told me to call a couple local places in San Diego. I called one, they said they didn't have it, it was back ordered. I called GC, they said they only had the demo which they weren't allowed to sell, but they're getting more in next week.

Then I talked to my friend who played one today that was for sale at the Thousand Oaks GC.

I might be buying it tomorrow. :blush:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I had ordered the MS-20 mini maybe two months ago but I still got nothing. And I'm also waiting for my P12 to arrive maybe in august... can't wait :)

I think I'll grow a nice Prophet family, I already have a P5, a P600 and a P1... and I have been drooling on the P08 for a while, but hey, can't miss the P12. This, while waiting for the P16 in 2016 :)

Just when I thought I had enough soft synths:

I picked up Rob Papen's Predator and Cakewalk's Z3ta 2 recently. Spending more time with Predator at the moment. Great sound + easy to use with a lot of depth. Loving it so far.

Lusting after u-he Zebra 2 but wondering if I'd ever make the time to program it.

-John

I make software noises.

I have enough analog synths... of the latest bunch, the only one which really intrigues me is the MicroMac D. Unfortunately, it's expensive, and my wallet is empty....

I've played the Kronos 73 several times during these few months, and I would love to get one, both as a main performance keyboard and a synthesis tool. Unfortunately, again, the economy is not on my side. There will be better times.

(Also: Psst, Kurzweil... what about a module, OR a 73/4/5/6-key *fully* weighted keyboard?!)

I've got a few synths/ws's, hard and soft, but always considered them either 'toys' or experimental projects for the studio. Never gigged one (unless you count a Rhodes - many moons ago). Committed to ONE instrument only for gigging - a Hammond organ or the closest 'relative' I can find. My interest in synths has more to do with my being a gadget freak than the musical possibilities they offer. For some reason, I can't think of a single 'synth player' that I hold in the same esteem as I do Jimmy Smith, McDuff, Groove, Joey D, Tony M, and/or Herbie, Oscar, Keith J, Chick C, etc., etc.

Love the technology, just wouldn't marry one :) .

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Bought the Casio XW-P1. Great sound! Reminds of how big synths used to sound.

Still drooling over my Kronos. 7 months now and I've barely scratched the surface.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

For live use I've just started digging in--still very shallow--to my pc361. I also have a Virus kb that I've been unable to sell, so I'm bringing it out for live use--despite the fact that 90% of what I play is, you guessed it, piano and organ :D The virus just sounds huge and nice but I can't really take advantage of it playing the 70s blues and classic rock we do. Though we do play Renegade, so it's going to take that moment to shine in the middle section and knock some people over (programmed a great Oberheim styx mono patch and it's going to be LOUD *mad scientist cackle*)

I also recently bought a Jupiter 80. The used prices are a huge savings. Mine looks brand new. I'm loving it. Great performance synth. I love being able to tweak and balance layers on the fly. Once you dig in, the possibilities are phenomenal.

I think there was some initial backlash when it came out because it wasn't an analog successor to the 8. Also, it has been somewhat erroneously compared to the Kronos( came out around the same time ). But, it's not a workstation. So, where does it fit? All I know is when I put my hands on it, I create. It's wonderful.

I've recently visited a locally owned music store(To Outkaster - Sound Source) and found a used Oberheim Matrix-6 for $399. I thought about picking it up to use for synth leads, but wanted to run it by you synth experts first. I already have a Triton classic.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I used to own a Matrix-6R, I saw that M6 last weekend. They are great for polyphonic but they do not work very well for monophonic.

When you put the M6 in unison, all six voices fire in PHASE COHERENT which is irritating and not very pleasant. There's no way to tell the unit to fire only one voice.

And at least two places in the key range, there is an audio "glitch" that you REALLY hear when glide is on. It sounds like range switching in the DCOs.

Notice something in that pix above? All the real wood (or particle board) on the boards!

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I also have a Virus kb that I've been unable to sell

Speaking of which, any one have an idea when they might come out with a hardware refresh? It's been like 4 years.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I finally received my Bowen Solaris about 6 weeks ago, and I am very happy with it. Still scratching the surface of a very deep synth!

I received my Solaris shortly after. There's so much there that it will keep me busy for years!

Jamie

Notice something in that pix above? All the real wood (or particle board) on the boards!
That makes it easier to create the infamous Brown Note. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Looking at the front page, there's just too many threads about pianos and organs, and not enough synth threads. :cop:

So, who's bought a new synth recently? Or what are you lusting after? :idk:

dB

Bowen Solaris is the fantasy.. but a Prophet 12 would still be fantastic to get my hands on :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived