Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The stand construction thread

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/11/2022 at 6:09 AM, stoken6 said:

Years ago I bought a K&M 240/5, which allows a hexagonal bar (with mic thread) to be clamped to a tabletop or pipe, and I'm wondering if this can be pressed into service. However, if I attach it to the upright:

IMG_5211.thumb.JPG.9170c75eb16a04564be8486de7f43795.JPG

there is insufficient grip on the hexagonal bar to prevent it slipping down when supporting weight.

Gee, for less than $0.25, 5 or 6 complete wraps of black electrical tape around that hexagonal bar should prevent it from slipping any further -- and as a bonus, it's a reminder of the optimal height setting you want it to be at when in use.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

On 9/11/2022 at 7:50 AM, D. Gauss said:

Links fixed to remove tracking...

~ vonnor

• Like 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Thanks @Mr -G- @Old No7. My concern with these approaches is that, while they stop the bar from slipping down, they don't effectively prevent the base of the hex bar swinging forward/backward, as the weight of the mic/boom at the top swings forward/backward (the clamp in the middle acting as a pivot). 

Cheers, Mike

I see... Are those vertical tubes made of metal? If so  you could cut a hole to insert the horizontal section of the mic bar through it, so it does not move in any direction (and then use the clamp as shown on the vertical tube in the middle image).

22 minutes ago, Mr -G- said:

I see... Are those vertical tubes made of metal? If so  you could cut a hole to insert the horizontal section of the mic bar through it, so it does not move in any direction (and then use the clamp as shown on the vertical tube in the middle image).

That's a very good idea. Yes the vertical tubes are steel.

In the past I've not been brave enough to drill metal, maybe I need to now summon the courage. If I do it right, I could use a couple of threaded nuts to secure the hex bar to the vertical steel tube.

Cheers, Mike.

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

In the past I've not been brave enough to drill metal, maybe I need to now summon the courage...

Go for it! Just heed the advice of my late father, when talking about working with wood or especially with metal...

"Just remember this son, those ''cutting' or 'take off' tools work a whole lot faster and better than the 'put back on' tools!  So measure 2 times for every 1 cut or hole..."

Cheers!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

So it turned out the solution to my problem is - another K&M 240/5:

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.24326c6833294f3fa187b4353f755aeb.JPG

I'm just using the clamp - so the hex bar is supported by two clamps. One prevents up/down movement, one prevents forward/back and they both restrict left-right, as well as rotation around any axis. Rock solid.

Cheers, Mike.