Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: Removing gaffer goo from cables

Morizzle

So I just separated two five meter cables that I had gaffer'd together - rendering the cables unusable because they're now all goo'd up and sticky.

Do any of the seasoned veterans have tips on how to remove gaffer goo?

Thanks in advance,

Mo

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing I have come across for removing glue or gum is naptha. The main ingredient in lighter fluid.

Just don't use it while smoking.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Paint thinner will do the trick as well. Damp a cloth in it and rub away the glue. Be careful not to breathe the fumes too much. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

WD40 is surprisingly good for removing glue residue ( I think it's called the same in Germany) WD40

+1

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Any citrus-based cleaner.

That's what I use in my sign business. Some of my clients recycle signs and banners, and citrus-based cleaners are great for removing adhesive residue after peeling off the vinyl lettering.

Exercise caution though, as citrus-based solutions are highly flammable.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Oh, and if you have lots of residue it's likely duct tape and not gaffe (or gaffer's) tape. Real gaffe tape uses a different adhesive designed to remove cleanly.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, it's not gaffer, but shitty, cheap duct tape, which I will throw away after this experience.

Be careful not to breathe the fumes too much. :cool:

Hee hee... you guys make it sound quite adventurous. :cool:

Gaffe (and duct) tape has been banned from my rig for at least twenty years.

I hear ya.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Be careful not to breathe the fumes too much. :cool:

Hee hee... you guys make it sound quite adventurous. :cool:

Just sayin.

http://lycanthropia.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/piano-on-fire.jpg

Long time ago I was gigging with a keyboard player who used the original DX7 box for gigs, enforced everywhere with duct tape. We got curious about checking what's underneath the tape. And it was mostly moist and loose cardboard... Basically it was a duct tape bag with cardboard padding.

If it's beyond Goo Gone and you want to go flamable, I recommend carb and choke cleaner or ether starting fluid. Clean cables and nice buzz that goes great with a pint of whatever you're drinking.
--wmp

carb and choke cleaner or ether starting fluid. Clean cables and nasty headache that goes great with a pint of whatever you're drinking.

Fixed that for ya.

:laugh:

Oh, and if you have lots of residue it's likely duct tape and not gaffe (or gaffer's) tape. Real gaffe tape uses a different adhesive designed to remove cleanly.

^True story.^ I made the switch years ago, and gaffer's tape peels off clean and dry. It's pricey, though. (like $20-$25 per roll) So you'll probably want to use it a little more sparingly! :laugh:

><>

Steve

Well worth the price and I always have a couple large rolls in my gig bag/case.

It's so nice to be able to tape down various things on slick stages, and pull it up at the end of the night with ZERO residue or hassle like normal duct tape.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

If it's beyond Goo Gone and you want to go flamable, I recommend carb and choke cleaner or ether starting fluid. Clean cables and nice buzz that goes great with a pint of whatever you're drinking.

.....and smoking. Oh wait, you did say flammable! :crazy:

I like the cut of your jib, Mr. wmp, nonetheless!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived