Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's the day of LOVE! Don't forget...

ITGITC

It's Valentine's Day. The day of LOVE! :love:

Don't forget...

Barry's got your back! :thu:

[video:youtube]Mz1Dgof_MYI

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/%A5Artist%20GIF%20Images/Barry-White-Singing.jpg

ITGITC? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone should make a Barry White song with those, if they haven't already.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Barry White was originally from Galveston Texas, where he supposedly left a lot of not-so-little Barrys running around with the same deep sexy-man voice. I used to play in clubs in Galveston, and once met a guy who claimed to be one of them. I recall that after telling me who his daddy was, he asked me if he could borrow a few bucks for a cab ride home.

While playing at a redneck dive in the Mo. Ozarks during the late 70's, I also met a pissed off guy who claimed that Porter Wagoner was his daddy and he was going to make him pay up.

As result, I've concluded that playing crappy music in low brow dives is a great way to meet the famous (but not so rich).

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

That is really funny. Reminds me of a story I read about Screaming Jay Hawkins, whose ~ 57 kids staged a kind of family reunion to discover how many they numbered. Fitting that one article about it came out around Valentine's Day some years back:

Screamin' Jay Hawkins' Kids Gather

February 11, 2001|By Michael Esposito.

Just in time for Valentine's Day, many of the estranged children of late rhythm and blues legend Screamin' Jay Hawkins will gather--for the first time--at the House of Blues in Los Angeles on Monday, the first anniversary of his death.

Hawkins, who seemingly found love often, claimed to be the father of 57 children.

Those children who have been located were found via the Web site www.jayskids.com, launched in March 2000 by Hawkins' friend and biographer Maral Nigolian with the purpose of finding and uniting Hawkins' many offspring per his final request.

The music of Isaac Hayes or Teddy Pendergrass will jumpstart love connections too. ;)

But d8mn...Screamin' Jay Hawkins went to work and I bet he didn't have to buy any Valentine's Day candy either. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Screamin Jay Hawkins was indeed the real thing. Real blues men like him probably get more tail than the big-haired spandex-wearing rockers can even dream about.

I played with an incredible blues / jazz sax player in the late 90's in Southeast Texas (one of the in-your-face "Texas Tenors"). When he died in 2005 (RIP), I attended his funeral in Houston's 5th Ward and 3 - 4 of his ex-wives and 8 - 10 of his children showed up. What was amazing was that several of his children, who played music at the end of the service, were killer musicians, even though they barely knew their father. I guess for some folks music is indeed in the genes.

Below is a link to a pretty cool obituary written about the sax guy by a musician who also played with him. It's an entertaining and informative read if you can wade through some of the promotional stuff up front:

http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/BayouCityBlues/message/2823

BTW... That sax player (RIP) is the reason I don't like to do horn parts on keyboards, he told me that when the damned synths started showing up, horn players started losing their gigs.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Screamin Jay sure put a spell on a lot of women...

Yeah and the ones that were still living when he passed were probably all teary-eyed and crying at his funeral.

After I croak, the two women that I've had in my life will probably just be fighting over what's left of my paltry estate (if anything) and cursing me for being an utter bore and bad lover.... And that's why I try to play the blues.

Yeah you are probably right, they should box up every lady's Valentine Day's gift with a CD of the Chairman of the Board crooning "Fly me to the Moon" for 12 - 13 tracks. My ex-wife absolutely loved that song and it indeed got her all lathered up. When I tried to sing it a few times for her accompanying myself on piano, she fled in horror. To this day, I still don't know if it was my crappy piano playing or my nasally geeky voice

I like Sinatra of course, but I associate him with one aspect of romance, whereas Barry White and Marvin Gaye represent the more, ahem, "lets get it on" side. :)

The "let's get it on" of Marvin is for youngsters. I'll be 50 in 1.5 years. At this point, a handshake and watching Dateline is a really wild evening. :(

At this point, a handshake and watching Dateline is a really wild evening. :(

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20010190.jpg

:laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived