Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New XK-1?

JohnDoe

The swedish Hammond dealer says in an ad( my translation):

"The New XK1 2013

Totally new model to replace the old XK1, to be presented soon.

Weight only 15 pound, 61 keys, drawbars and split C/V.

More info to come."

Does anyone here know anything about it?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of it, sounds interesting though. Someone mentioned here on the forum rumors of the XK3c will get new effects section like ring mod, wah and more - like the SK1 has. So I guess, the XK1 could receive a similar update.

It had a XK1 for a couple of years - great clonewheel, but I thought was a bit to heavy and I could have used a couple of more unconventional effects - and most importantly, better OD/tube sim. I replaced it with an Electro 3 and I have never regretted doing so.

So if this is true I guess it's all good! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Never heard of it, sounds interesting though. Someone mentioned here on the forum rumors of the XK3c will get new effects section like ring mod, wah and more - like the SK1 has. So I guess, the XK1 could receive a similar update.

The Hammond US website has some info about those effects in the XK-3c but I've been told that at least for the current version it can't happen. Maybe the next generation. :thu:

This would interest me if they moved the real drawbars up top, get the Leslie, C/V and distortion on par with the KeyB, and get the size/weight down, basically make a Hammond Numa, I'd even say get rid of the presets, don't use them and a bit smaller would be nice, also get rid of the giant HAMMMOND logo on the front, yeah right, just do all that.

With all of the new clones coming out post XK3 , ie numa, Mojo, or whatever AND the announced Hammond updates, Older XK2's and XK3's are going to fall in value like rocks. I saw an XK3 at guitar Center fot $899.00 . The Keybed alone is worth that.

FunMachine.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about brand logos on keyboards? So it says "Hammond". Who cares? Are people ashamed of the gear they use?
It don't bother me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Am I the only one who doesn't care about brand logos on keyboards? So it says "Hammond". Who cares? Are people ashamed of the gear they use?

A dumber-than-rocks guitar God wannabe once told me that he was more likeley to get laid playing a real Gibson Les Paul in front of a Marshall stack than if he was playing an Epiphone knock-off in front of a Sears Silvertone amp (even though some of the old Silvertones sounded pretty damned good). He couldn't play worth sheeeit but he did get laid a lot.

Of course, if a keyboardist wants to impress the crowd with a Hammond organ, he can always save some money by just putting a Hammond decal on a Casio WK3700. Most of the brain dead members of the audience in a typical lowbrow meatmarket club wouldn't know the difference in the sound anyway between the Casio and a $2000 clone.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Hmm, so what about That Organ Tech who sands the Hammond name off of B3s and applies his own name in giant letters over it? That always struck me as exceptionally poor taste.

If there's a new XK-1 on the way, it's odd that it wasn't shown at NAMM last weekend.

Hmm, so what about That Organ Tech who sands the Hammond name off of B3s and applies his own name in giant letters over it? That always struck me as exceptionally poor taste.

If there's a new XK-1 on the way, it's odd that it wasn't shown at NAMM last weekend.

Who knows, that organ tech may have groupies in every dive his "organs" are appearing in.

WRG to a new Hammond XK1... I haven't heard anything about it either. But it would indeed possibly be a wise marketing move for Hammond to offer a revamped lightweight XK1 with the XK1's more authentic interface and action combined with the SK1's improved organ engine, Leslie sim, and effects. If Hammond were to leave the SK1's extra voices and related circuitry off of this new XK1, it could hopefully be sold at a significantly lower price point than the SK1, in the range of what the original XK1 sold for at ~$1500 or even less.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

it could hopefully be sold at a significantly lower price point than the SK1, in the range of what the original XK1 sold for at ~$1500 or even less.

For not being at NAMM, maybe they are intending it for the European market only at this point. But I could imagine that the presence of a new under-$2k competitor in the U.S. -- the VR-09 -- might prompt them to want to bring a lower priced model to this market after all. Just idle speculation, though...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I saw the VR09 video and I was not impressed by the organ sound. The goal is not to be an organ dedicated board (you can see by the keys), but even so...

I keep thinking...

Do they really see a market for a new Xk1 today?

I really don't have an eye for business, but it looks like the Organ-focused people would go for the XK and the "I want a light keyboard that does everything" people are going for the SK. Am I missing some other group here? Of course there is going to be someone that wants a lighter one-manual hammond clone with wood finishing... the question is: is this group big enough to make a new Xk1 profitable?

The best thing about the giant white KORG logo on the back of my original analog CX-3 was that it was vinyl, and I could instantly peel it off.

X2. This was the first and best mod I made to my old CX3 back in '83. In my eyes,big white letters against a wood look background just looks cheesy no matter what the letters spell.

Archived