Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Funky Beatles

Jazz+

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is more evidence to me that Ringo was the perfect drummer for The Beatles; never overplaying and rarely if ever underplaying.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I agree Mark - Ringo is perhaps the most underrated drummer ever. Vast legions of drummers think he's a hack. I think he's arguably the best pop/rock drummer ever.

On the other hand, at least Purdie can now legitimately claim he played on a Beatles track....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

YG5a9O9m5EWBd96YIGH0Jw2.jpg

In that he didn't write 99% of the stuff and in that he was the late comer to an established group. But he was an essential part of that crew.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I am also not wild about this. Listen to the fill at the end of the second A section wgich should puncj with the "Hearts Club Band" on the vocal. To me it doesn't really fit. It doesn't sound like the drummer ( Purdie ? ) knows the song all that well.

Plus the snare part ( 2 e and "ah" ) sounds stiff to me. Nothing interesting on the hi hat either.

I was always sort of bugged by Purdie's claims to have recorded of several of the original Beatle's tracks, though he has shut up about it in recent years.I think he did do some good work though (Rock Steady, Home at Last etc.)

So, is this actually him? Who knows if somebody else didn't post this on Youtube.

I believe this is just a Pretty drum track mixed with the Beatles tune, sans the original drums. Sort of a mash-up, if you will. Multitrack audio for a great number of Beatles songs can be found pretty easily. So, to answer your question LX, yes I'm sure it's actually him playing the drums, but probably not for this specific purpose. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd be "pretty" surprised if that wasn't the case.

In that he didn't write 99% of the stuff and in that he was the late comer to an established group. But he was an essential part of that crew.

Even so, thats a bit hard to swallow. Did Martin really say that?

I tried to do a fact check :cop: It is indeed all over the net, however I cant find the original article this came from.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I just re - read an excerpt from an article in Modern Drummer magazine article that features a 1984 interview with Bernard Purdie. Max Weinberg conducted the interview.

In this interview Purdie claims to have played on 21 Beatles tracks from their early years. He also claims that Ringo played on none of the of the early tracks.

If you have listened to any of the early live Beatles performances at all you will see that Ringo was a highly competent drummer within the Beatles music. Just check out "Live in Washington" The Ed Sullivan performances or any number of live takes that appear on the Beatles Anthology video.

Purdie's claims are one of the most blatant lies ever made in the history of the music business.

The first two Beatles albums were made on two track machines! It would be virtually impossible to overdub drums on any of this, because much of the tracking would have been done live.

Purdie claims to have played of most of the tracks the Beatles recorded in the early days , but not later when four track was introduced at EMI around the time of "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

It was Ringo who was the late comer to the group, not Purdie.

Ringo was a badass!!! Period!

Anybody who sees him as just an innocent bystander who was just lucky to be there knows nothing!!!

There, I said it!

[video:youtube]

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Of course it's a mash up made, created by blending two different pre-recorded songs.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I agree Mark - Ringo is perhaps the most underrated drummer ever. Vast legions of drummers think he's a hack. I think he's arguably the best pop/rock drummer ever.

Totally agree. Although most of the drummers I play with acknowledge Ringo's greatness.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Ringo was a badass!!! Period!

Anybody who sees him as just an innocent bystander who was just lucky to be there knows nothing!!!

There, I said it!

[video:youtube]

Right On!!!!!!

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Ringo was known as the the best drummer in Liverpool before joining the Beatles, which is why they brought him in and kicked Best out in the first place. I'm not sure where this myth that Ringo couldn't play came from. If you really listen to his drum parts, like the one Ian posted, you can hear how tasteful and subtly bad ass he was. Everything he played served the song.

Was that why? I always wondered. My guess was that Best had bad time or something (and maybe he did/does).

I think the myth comes from Ringo's parts being deceptively simple.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Maybe I've just been hanging out with the wrong types of musicians all these years, but I've never heard anyone call Ringo a "hack". Quite the opposite...

Back in the late 1960s we were all mesmerized by his drumming (as well as practically everything the Beatles did at the time). He was a pioneer in the art of studio drumming (as opposed to live drumming) and influenced a lot of how rhythm tracks were laid down after that band broke up.

Accounts are somewhat divided on why Best was let go from the Beatles depending on who's telling it, but according to George Martin, he basically wasn't cutting the mustard. They hired a couple session players to come record his parts, one of whom was Ringo, and the rest is history.

It was a combo of two things:

1) Best was technically very limited and he wasn't improving along with the rest of the band.

2) Best was kind of a moody separatist that didn't really 'hang' with the rest of the band socially.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

I think Pete Best gets up every morning, looks in the mirror, and says ... "DAMN!!!"

Probably but I'm sure he's come to terms with it by now. He also still made a million or so from the early tracks that he was on when they released the Anthology in the 90s.

Glad we are talking about the Beatles as I have been relistening to their stuff again after 20 or so years of not hearing them (I was a huge fan of them in the 70s). An amazing band, great songs, great chord progressions... I've been going through tunes such as "If I Fell..." and seeing how I can approach them in a jazzier context...

Don't like the Purdie overdub to be honest...

Also, I love Paul McCartney's Wings too... "the band the Beatles could have been" (Alan Partridge)

I can relate to Pete Best on a personal level as I've been in his situation in terms of getting booted from bands for not doing drugs (this was the nature of his not "hanging" with the others). But I can't relate to him as a musician because although he had good jazz chops from a technical point of view, he wasn't very musical. He had sloppy timing and didn't serve the song.

As for Ringo, the Beatles already had good rapport with him as they had played with him quite a bit in Hamburg, if not elsewhere. He sat in with them a lot, and as I recall this was continuous during one tour where Pete Best had to go back home early (I think his wife was pregnant or something).

I've also read that they wanted Ringo long before it was suggested by the label, but didn't have the heart to boot Best until someone at the money side of things gave them "permission" from a business point of view.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Purdie thing sounds far fetched except for the entire mess with the Masters making the rounds by way of Vee Jay records during their bankruptcy and Capitol's penchant for boosting bass and drums and treble and adding reverb in their 'garage' and tape saturation as part of their in-house mix downs. They resisted Epsteins initial overtures forcing Epstein to book Sullivan and work closely with Vee Jay and others for a bit to get exposure.

Nothing would surprise me. The stuff may not be released and was quickly taped over as would have been the practice for a 'bootleg' or 'prospective' mix session that was dumped in favor of official releases when Capitol decided to exercise their rights and sue all the bootlegs in existence.

EQ had come along well enough that drums could be de-emphasized enough for overdubs and then add sone backing vocals, add some saturation and reverb the thing to death. At least well enough to find out of they wanted to do a full session with Purdie and re-recording. How many studio manufactured Mersey bands popped up in that period?

I'm sure Ringo's surprise would heve been Paul Simon's when he heard "The Sounds of Silence" with full band.

I'm gullible. I like a good fish story

Did anyone hear people complain about the drumming when The Beatles were together?

The Beatles were admired so much, who didn't think the drumming was perfect for each song?

Ringo became the brunt of jokes after they broke up......in spite of what many jokes suggest, it is obvious Ringo did not get in the way of the band's greatness.

An amazing band, great songs, great chord progressions...

+1. Even a simple "Here, there and everywhere" has plenty to get your teeth into.

Don't like the Purdie overdub to be honest...

+2

Also, I love Paul McCartney's Wings too...

And there we part company (not sure if you were being serious?). One chorus of "Silly Love Songs" is more than enough Wings for me.

Cheers, Mike

Archived