Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone know what piano this is ??

Brettymike

Hi folks,

I was wondering if by some shear miracle,if anyone would know what sound source Joe Jackson is using for his piano here,back in 1991.

He is playing a Roland A80 controller hooked up to some kind of piano module , I wonder what sort?

Brett.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much for your responses people :), opdigits - good idea , I have sent a note to Eric Dunton and Joe's staff ,tentatively waving an olive branch incase it's top secret :).

I would definitely like that piano in my collection,and I reckon it was ahead of it's time when it came out.

Brett.

Definitely Korg...in my opinion

It definitely has that horrible Korg plonkiness in the harder velocities. The same sound was in the M1 series, the T1/T2/T3, the O1/W and its brethren; Korg also had a little piano module back in those days, but I hardly think Joe Jackson would be touring with anything but rack mountable modules at that time.

That sound can be heard in the "Factory Presets" video of the M1 over at VintageSynth.com at the 0:47 mark.

For a moment I thought I heard a bit of the e-Mu Proteus/1 piano in there, and you can even see what looks like a Proteus/1 rack to his left (the viewer's right) in some of the other videos from that concert... so it might be layered (as many of us often did back in those days) to get a better tone in the upper registers than the Korg offered.

Frankly, unless you're trying to do a sound-alike project from the late 80's/early 90's, I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to sound like this, but hey... to each their own, I guess. ;)

.....and why not a layered sound of two piano machines ?

.....so it might be layered (as many of us often did back in those days) to get a better tone in the upper registers than the Korg offered.

Great minds think alike! ;):D

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hey folks , I found out from Erik the sound man for Joe at the time,that his Roland A80 was plugged into a Kurzweil K1000 PX module making that sound!!

I reckon it's killer and beautiful ,the bit of "plonkyness" definitely not horrible ,and giving part of the character of the sound.

Brett.

Hey folks , I found out from Erik the sound man for Joe at the time,that his Roland A80 was plugged into a Kurzweil K1000 PX module making that sound!!

Damn, is my face red. I owned that module during the same period (early 90's). I don't recall it sounding that plonky, especially in the bass register... listen to this video at the 6:55-7:05 mark, where he plays the slow run down the keys to hear what I mean:

[video:youtube]

I reckon it's killer and beautiful ,the bit of "plonkyness" definitely not horrible ,and giving part of the character of the sound.

We'll have to agree to disagree. :thu:

Brett.

:thu:
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

I hear no problems with "plonkyness" at all , but , did you notice he has switched piano sounds on the Slow song video?,

it has a touch of chorus (and more)in 'Stepping out'.

What digital piano sounds hot to your ears today as a matter of interest?

Brett.

I owned that module during the same period (early 90's). I don't recall it sounding that plonky, especially in the bass register...

I have to agree. I regularly used a K1000PX module during that period as well, and it never sounded like that. :confused:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I hear no problems with "plonkyness" at all , but , did you notice he has switched piano sounds on the Slow song video?,

Yes, but the general tone is the same.

What digital piano sounds hot to your ears today as a matter of interest?

Not sure what you expect to gain from this, but the Yamaha Avant Grand and CP1, the Roland V-Piano and RD700NX, and the Kurzweil PC3 series all have pianos that I've been happy to play.

I owned that module during the same period (early 90's). I don't recall it sounding that plonky, especially in the bass register...

I have to agree. I regularly used a K1000PX module during that period as well, and it never sounded like that. :confused:

I also used a 1000PX module heavily back in the day, and the "main" piano surely did not sound like that, but one of the "treated" pianos may have (I don't recall for sure and no longer have the module). My point, though, is that it's not inconceivable that it was a 1000PX producing that sound.

Huh. I play a 1912 Chickering Grand. Sounds authentic to me.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I also used a 1000PX module heavily back in the day, and the "main" piano surely did not sound like that, but one of the "treated" pianos may have (I don't recall for sure and no longer have the module). My point, though, is that it's not inconceivable that it was a 1000PX producing that sound.

I still have mine up in the attic.... I recall using just the "main piano" as well, and the main string patch (I recall liking that string patch!). Maybe I'll bring it down the next time I go up there....

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived