Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Emerson forgot Lucky Man solo so looks in Keyboard Mag

Fusioneer

....to check the transcript....it is all here at around 3:07m into this video:

Sorry if it was already posted. This is a series of Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality interviews Keith Emerson October 15th, 2011 to discuss keyboards, ELP and use of the sample library he is creating with Sonic Reality.

Enjoy

--sav

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....to check the transcript....it is all here at around 3:07m into this video:

Sorry if it was already posted. This is a series of Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality interviews Keith Emerson October 15th, 2011 to discuss keyboards, ELP and use of the sample library he is creating with Sonic Reality.

Enjoy

--sav

And THIS is why I don't toss my KEYBOARD magazines! :thu::laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Wow, never knew a transcription of the Lucky Man solo extisted in Keyboard magazine.....can anyone toss out a year/month? Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

This doesn't make sense. I could see Emerson forgetting the solo but it seems like he could knock the rust off by just listening to the record. It's not like there is a lot going on with a lot of velocity and dense chording like an Oscar Peterson solo, plus he came up with it in the first place so he ain't starting on the ground floor.

Keyboard Mag must be giving him a kick back everytime he mentions it, cause I've read other interviews where he praises Keyboard Mag for saving his bacon.

This is why I never liked the prog rockers. I'll take Jon Lord any day of the week over those guys, he's honest and real.

Keyboard Mag must be giving him a kick back everytime he mentions it, cause I've read other interviews where he praises Keyboard Mag for saving his bacon.

I knew it. I'm guessing someone of Keith Emerson's status fetches upwards of $250,000 for each mention in the magazine. More when he's inevitably listed officially in the brand new Hall of Fame section.

Note to Steve Fortner. You now owe me $1.27.

This doesn't make sense. I could see Emerson forgetting the solo but it seems like he could knock the rust off by just listening to the record.

Quote from the "Keith Emerson Interviewed By You" article in Keyboard Magazine:

16251: When you soloed on the classic albums, how much of it was improvisation and how much was worked out beforehand?

KE: Well, Pictures at an Exhibition was recorded live, with no editing or overdubbing. What you hear is exactly what happened on that particular night. Going on to Trilogy, those solos were all improvised. Tarkus? Pretty much all improvised. On occasions, Id have a leaping-off point in my head: Okay, this bit is obviously a keyboard solo, so if I dry up on a recording session Ill use this launching pad to inspire me to go on.

Of course, when you play a classic tune live, people want to hear the same solo, so sometimes Id have to re-learn what Id improvised in the studio. It was especially funny in the case of Lucky Man, as Id played that solo many years before but knew what was expected of me. I actually got help from your magazine! I called up [then editor] Dominic Milano and said, Dominic, you might think this is very funny, but I need a transcription of the Lucky Man solo, because Im damned if I can get it off the record! [Laughs.]

Note that Dominic Milano was the Keyboard editor in the 70's and early 80's, so this wasn't exactly a recent incident. ;)

It's hard for me to believe that Emerson could not copy it from hearing it.... He must be a horrible musician... Lol

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is why I never liked the prog rockers. I'll take Jon Lord any day of the week over those guys, he's honest and real.

it's just business, I can understand. Would you no mention some magazine in interview if they're giving you 100k or so? I'd mention even playboy when rent is due and no gigs on horizon :laugh:

It's hard for me to believe that Emerson could not copy it from hearing it....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I mean, a relatively short, monophonic, medium-tempo, mostly diatonic solo with a few eighth-note triplets as its trickiest feature? He had to be blowing smoke up Dominic's ass.

If that call actually did happen, I can imagine Dominic's response: "Sure Keith, I can help you out. It's the one that goes, 'ooo-WEEEEEEEEE-ooo-WEEEEEEEE, ooo-WEEEEEEEE-ooo-WEEEEEEE.' You're welcome."

Wow, never knew a transcription of the Lucky Man solo extisted in Keyboard magazine.....can anyone toss out a year/month? Thanks!

Gee, if only someone had asked this before, or there was some way to find this information. ;):deadhorse:

Thanks Sven, now I don't have to do it! ;)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

If that call actually did happen, I can imagine Dominic's response: "Sure Keith, I can help you out. It's the one that goes, 'ooo-WEEEEEEEEE-ooo-WEEEEEEEE, ooo-WEEEEEEEE-ooo-WEEEEEEE.' You're welcome."

I know that singing the solos aloud always helps me out. Same with this guy:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08R4m-TMXyI

This doesn't make sense. I could see Emerson forgetting the solo but it seems like he could knock the rust off by just listening to the record.

Quote from the "Keith Emerson Interviewed By You" article in Keyboard Magazine:

16251: When you soloed on the classic albums, how much of it was improvisation and how much was worked out beforehand?

KE: Well, Pictures at an Exhibition was recorded live, with no editing or overdubbing. What you hear is exactly what happened on that particular night. Going on to Trilogy, those solos were all improvised. Tarkus? Pretty much all improvised. On occasions, Id have a leaping-off point in my head: Okay, this bit is obviously a keyboard solo, so if I dry up on a recording session Ill use this launching pad to inspire me to go on.

Of course, when you play a classic tune live, people want to hear the same solo, so sometimes Id have to re-learn what Id improvised in the studio. It was especially funny in the case of Lucky Man, as Id played that solo many years before but knew what was expected of me. I actually got help from your magazine! I called up [then editor] Dominic Milano and said, Dominic, you might think this is very funny, but I need a transcription of the Lucky Man solo, because Im damned if I can get it off the record! [Laughs.]

Note that Dominic Milano was the Keyboard editor in the 70's and early 80's, so this wasn't exactly a recent incident. ;)

Wow! My question! Thanks for finding another place to present it and give it relevance.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Either KE was making a joke, or his ears have suffered. I have a hard time believing he couldn't mentally transcribe that on first listen, if his hearing was good enough.

Either that, or he wanted it note-for-note perfect, and a couple of the notes are a little obscured due to the portamento.

If I had to guess, I'd say that his "because Im damned if I can get it off the record! was for comedic effect, but the version of the story he told on the video, that it would be a time-saver to have the transcription, was more likely the accurate version.

Transcribing is tedious. He played the solo once as an improv, and probably hardly listened to the recording, and for years, I think, improv'd different solos live... so the decision to go back and learn the original exactly would have meant some time commitment, even if not difficult.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Are you guys kidding? The solo to Lucky Man? Good thing he did not have to relearn Tarkus by ear...

Hard for me to believe any of that.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've learned quite a number of ELP solos by ear over the years (and pretty much note perfect I will add), and that was back long before the amazing slow downer was available!!! In fact most of it was done by lifting/dropping the needle of a portable record player sitting on the top of my Hammond (until I was able to upgrade my technology and press rewind/play over and over on a cassette tape)!!!

Something tells me that if I can do it, Keith Emerson can do it.. and like Hammond Dave I don't believe any of this. I call bullshit on this whole story because I don't think that Keith Emerson would leave a solo he truly thought was crappy on their first single, and neither does he need a Keyboard transcription to relearn the solo...

I just think it's a very cute story that has evolved over the years and been embellished to a large extent!! R+R stories do have a tendency to grow and take on a life of their own... and the artists themselves are often to blame!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Archived