Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody ever retrofit their Electro with lighter springs?

Jazz+

Like the springs in the Hammond SK-1 ?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a new topic to me.

It should be very easy to do. I could see doing it myself. It would take 30 minutes to do it myself with my FP4 springs.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Interestingly, I recently saw a thread on another forum about a kit available to do just that for my Kurz PC3 76. I imagine some of the KC denizens here have also seen it.

I checked the company's website, but they're showing the kit as out of stock right now. Would love to give it a try.

-Mike

:facepalm::deadhorse:
The Electro action is 'special' for lack of a better term, and with Jazz+'s tendonitis, that extra strange resistance it has to accommodate piano and EP sounds could be very problematic.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Personally, I'm kind of interested in Jazz+'s apparent sudden interest in playing organ. IIRC, he's mostly if not completely been playing piano, right?

Sorry if I'm presuming incorrectly.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why not just get the SK1?

Might not be the cheapest way to go if you already own the Nord... or you may want some of the other Nord advantages.

Personally, if it were easily do-able, I'd be up for lowering the spring resistance in my compact Stage 2.

Funny thing about Roland and Nord. I mentioned in another thread how Roland routinely comes out with something I almost want to buy, but some fatal flaw stops me. I feel similarly about Nord, that they keep *almost* getting it right... but for some reason, Nord manages to more often get my money anyway! Though in fact, I have already owned and sold three Nords over the years, and am still not committed to keeping this one. There's so much I like about it, but like most boards, it's got its limitations and irritations as well. (Okay, in all fairness, I've bought and sold my share of Rolands too, and yes still own some... I think the reason I more often give the extra benefit to Nord probably just comes down to their low weight.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There is something about the Electro spring tension that does aggravate my tendonitis more than a good grand piano or a Hammond action. It's the only hesitation I have about a new 4D. I have never seen one under the hood of an Electro but if the springs are right on top it should be very easy to exchange them with a lower tension set. It's super easy on the FP4 to take off the springs.

This guy is removing Fatar waterfall key action springs:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTnXZK4NaaU

Like the springs in the Hammond SK-1 ?

Thanks for posting this.

I have been thinking about the same thing myself as I really don´t like the "springy" touch of my NE3

Question is what springs would fit or be "ideal" for this keybed?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I just sent Fatar this email message:

"I want to replace the springs in my Clavia Nord Electro 3 action with the lighter tension springs used in the Hammond SK-1. Will the springs fit and can I order a set of Hammond SK-1 type springs from your company?"

But perhaps somebody who speaks Italian needs to ask them over the phone.

Historically, Fatar has only sold to OEMs and distributors. You might get better results contacting major distributors.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I think the most probable path to success is to figure out a manufacturer who has specified the same action with less stiff springs, which will require some research.

Then once you know that the springs of the proper tension exist, it should be possible to order a set.

Moe

---

I played another Nord Electro 3 today that was next to the Hammond SK-1. I must say that the springs and whatever else contributes to the Electro's action feels pretty bad next to the lighter, smoother, and faster action in the Hammond SK-1. The Hammond action gave a me a sense of confidence when playing it. The Nord was struggle to play what felt effortless on the Hammond SK-1 action. I kept think Nord had really failed with the action.

The Hammond action gave a me a sense of confidence when playing it. The Nord was struggle to play what felt effortless on the Hammond SK-1 action. I kept think Nord had really failed with the action.

Couldn´t have said it better myself although I never played the SK-1.

I feel kind of unsecure on the NE3 as the "finger to sound connection" doesn´t work for me very well. Especially on B3 sounds.

I would be very happy to find another set of springs to try.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

When I got a chance to check out the SK-1, my first impression was they really managed to put a great organ action in it, better than the action in my XK-3c, more authentic. I was really surprised at how well it handled pianos, EPs, and other velocity sensitive sounds.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Couldn't this possibly be the spring seat difference in the fatars? What if, say, 1mm or less was machined (measure-drilled) off the plastic of the seat (assuming there is enough to modify) wouldn't a slightly lesser stretched spring reduce the tension? Obviously, precise tools would be needed. Just a thought about modifying. Perhaps I would need to look at the seat again to think this possible or not possible.

W.

If the SK-1 had as good a Rhodes and Piano as the Nord, I would own one today. I think the Electro Rhodes and Piano are so much better than those in the SK-1, but that troublesome Electro action ... With the Electro 4 organ coming soon I am even more hesitant.

• 5 months later...
Hello, I am new to this forum. I recently picked up a used Nord Electro 3 and while I love the sounds, I find the action to be difficult for my hands. The SK-1's action is great but I also didn't find their other sounds to be very usable. If anybody has tried to swap the springs in their Nord, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks

I have a feeling the action in the SK and the a electro is the same. I find the C1/c2 action to be very playable but the SK/Electro to be quite stiff

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Yeah, now that I think of it, the SK1 action was stiffer than I wanted it to be, but I still think it was easier on me than the Electro. I'm just wondering how easy it would be to find new springs that will fit and work for my E3. Do the C1/C2s have springs that would fit an Electro? Maybe I should contact Nord.

One of the reasons I've stuck with Nord is the action. Best of both worlds, IMO.

:cool:

Well said, drawback. I could't agree more. As I use the E3 for piano, EP, clav and B3, I find the action to be a good compromise.

Yeah, I picked the Nord because it had the best over all sound to my ears. The SK1 was better in the organ section but the Nord seemed, far and away, better in every other department. The action is kicking my but for organ stuff tho. I'd be very interested in modifying mine if it can be done, relatively, painlessly.

Archived