Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can someone do a brief xw-p1 vs Electro 3 organ comparison?

kwyn

If anyone has both or has played both instruments, can you do a quick comparison of the organs?

I've never had the chance to really hear the xw-p1 except in lo quality videos.

Assuming both running through a Ventilator...

So I guess, a comparison of the raw organ tones is what I'm curious, not so much leslie sim of each board.

Also, if you have any input on the pianos vs. the nord pianos too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The XW-P1 organ doesn't compare to the Electro 3. It's pretty weak, actually. The strengths of the XW-P1 lie elsewhere, and the organ is just kind of a little extra. I'm sure a Vent will liven it up, but if you really need a good organ, get a clonewheel.

By the way, I'm a zealous fan of the XW-P1; the organ component is just not its best feature.

The organ on the XW-P1 does not compare to a $1999 board.

With a vent I will be quite satisfied using it on gigs that average $100 - $150 per night! Its not a Hammond, Nord or Crumar Mojo. It is the best portable organ I have seen in the $499 price range. Use it to control VB3 on a laptop and you could probably get that kind of sound. In a band setting over 90% of the audience would not even notice the difference. If you want to see how good this thing can sound with a Vent here is a video showing it with and with out one.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQZuuAaM3E&feature=player_embedded&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1#t=2m22s

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

In any case the PC361 is a much better, deeper and more flexible synth, so you'll get a lot more value out of a PC361 than a Casio and a Vent

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

XW-P1 + vent vs PC361

About the same price, right?

So, which organ would sound better?

Which is the best deal?

For organ alone, that would probably be a tough call, the Vent being so good as to perhaps balance other Kurz organ strengths... and for that, yeah, you'll want to hear from people who have directly A/B'd them, and even then, there's personal preference. Jazz players often hone in on different aspects of the organ sound than rock players, I think. Some people are concerned with the authenticity of Chorus/Vibrato, others never even use those things. But I think that overall, the two would balance each other enough to be competitive, so if you need a board for anything else, I'd probably looks at those other things to decide which of the two to get.

But if it's really just for organ... I'd probably go for the Casio+Vent. If nothing else, it weighs half as much. Other than that, I think I'd prefer its organ ergonomics (i.e. the faders placed closer together, the more easily accessible percussion buttons). Though I think the Kurz has a way to "capture" the live faders settings and jump to them, which I think the Casio lacks, and that could be useful if you go back and forth between organ presets and live organ drawbar control. Anyway, the point is, even just as an organ, I might choose as much on "playability" and related factors as on any sonic preferences.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hmmm disappointed to read the reports of the organ being 'weak'. I had higher hopes for it than that, although for the money maybe one has to manage expectation here.

Just to throw another comparison into the mix, how would you say it compared to an Electro 2? This was the last organ I owned before it was stolen.

I'm not sure how anyone could get past the XW-P1's ugly-ass color scheme to even consider playing it in public.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people will love it I'm sure. I haven't really messed with it in person to feel strongly either way. I dig the fact that it stands apart though. Kudos for putting out a head turner.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

THe Vent sure makes a huge difference -- the difference between not working for me at all and a definite maybe (but I'd need to try because that guy doesn't play anything like I do).

For the price and for all else it does, it's impressive.

With the Vent, it'll be way better than the SV-1. Seems to me that these two boards would dovetail quite nicely! I'd have a real hard time coming up with a better two-tier rig for the price. It'd be a nice light rig, too.

If I didn't have an NE2 and if I used synths more than just a tiny bit, I'd be very interested in this board.

THe Vent sure makes a huge difference -- the difference between not working for me at all and a definite maybe (but I'd need to try because that guy doesn't play anything like I do).

For the price and for all else it does, it's impressive.

With the Vent, it'll be way better than the SV-1. Seems to me that these two boards would dovetail quite nicely! I'd have a real hard time coming up with a better two-tier rig for the price. It'd be a nice light rig, too.

If I didn't have an NE2 and if I used synths more than just a tiny bit, I'd be very interested in this board.

I knew first time I saw it this could be a great compliment to my SV-1. I only paid $1776 for the SV-1 88 and then the $500 rebate paid for the Casio. Hard rig to beat for the dough if the Casio works out.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Colors? Audience mostly just sees silver and black. If it's ergonomic, that's all I really care.

I like that Casio got away from the "black buttons on a black background" motif, which made the PX-330/PX-3 unnecessarily more difficult to navigate on stage. (And Casio has not been the only offender.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The highs of the XW organ are where it really gets exposed, and a Vent will not fix this, so not only does the far superior Nord blow it away even with a Vent on the Casio, as it should for the cost, but the PC3 does as well, much more convincing highs.

I think players looking for a budget organ for practice will find a good one in the XW, but for me, no way, much rather have the PC3 for a bit more money, better sliders too, those mini ones on the XW would drive me nuts, I think I'd rather play Nord drawbuttons.

Actually to my ears the percussion is the drawback. I can't afford a major keyboard right now. I do have K3B Kurzweil organ in my SP4-7, just no drawbars. So I just bought a controller for my Kurzweil organ and a cool little synth for only $100 more than the Novation Impulse 61 I would have bought. The vent was still a planned buy. So either way I have a lot of options without breaking the bank.

I think too many people seem to have too much hope that a $500 keyboard will be the holy grail of gigging keyboards...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

True, I'm still impressed by CASIO's bang for the buck approach. The only game they are changing is our expectations. We all wish for that perfect affordable board.

It wasn't that long ago casio couldn't generate this much excitement without pumping nitrous oxide in the room.

Agreed - Casio has taken huge steps forward since the introduction of the Privia series. Theses two new boards are interesting indeed, but you can't expect too much from a $500 board not matter how many intelligent performance feature it has. A board in this price range will never compete with a board costing 4-8 times as much. You'll get what you pay for.

I would recommend the XW-P1 for anyone looking for a first keyboard, or for someone who plays keyboards as a 2nd instrument and want something to play on stage, but never to someone looking for a ballsy, authentic sounding clonewheel!

I just don't get it - here's a keyboard that has a "drawbar" engine that doesn't seem to sound any better than an organ in any other $500 board, but this one has nine short sliders for controlling the engine - and suddenly everyone is praising it. To me in the video demos it still sounds like a rompler organ, drawsliders or not. And - any decent organ sample will sound nice through a Ventilator, IMHO.

The start of this thread alone shows that someone who has read this forum is expecting the XW-P1 to sound as good as a $2000 board which is specialized to do vintage sounds. I certainly see something wrong with that, no matter how little the board weigh...

Examining the thread as a whole, I see that no one, myself included, has held this XW-P1 in his hands and played it; nor a/b'd it with an E3. This has been an entertaining conversation about a couple of videos. With that in mind, and with obeisance to Murphy's Other Law #15, "when you don't know what you're talking about, anything is possible", I'll wait for an answer to OP's question, which began with "If anyone has played both instruments..." If anyone has played them both, please tell us what you think! :) over & out!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I'm mostly thinkin' of the big thread, where a few has played one and a whole lot of people have read their impression and seen a video - and almost everyone is praising it. I totally agree, play first, judge then.

I love all the feature this board is packed with to this low price, but I don't see why so many people already is praising it, not matter how low the price or weight is.

I too have spent too much time writing about this board I've never played, so I now leave it to everybody else to discuss further. I think I've made my point very clear.

Archived