Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In Montreal - what to see?

MonksDream

Hi there,

I haven't been posting a lot lately because I have a new job that involves a LOT of travel. I'm in Montreal until Wednesday and I'm wondering if there's anything musical going on that I should try to catch.

Any thoughts from my Quebecois brethren?

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Monk, welcome to town.

Not sure what's going on musically, but you could check out L'Astral on Ste Catherine, great venue.

Excellent restaurants on St Denis, bar scene on Bishop, Crescent, etc.

Try and arrange a trip for end of June/July and the jazz fest will be in full bloom, as well as les jolies femmes.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've actually been here 8 days already. My wife came in on day 3 and just left this morning. I'm staying because I can fly directly to my next destination (Hartford, Connecticut) and avoid the jet lag of heading back to the Wet Coast and then heading back East. That, and the chance to hang out solo in one of the greatest cities on Earth!

I've already done Schwarz's, Notre Dame basilica, Vieux Montreal (gorgeous at night!), a Habs game, Marché Jean Talon, Little Italy, Rue St. Denis, the Village (next to my hotel in the Latin Quarter), and a few other places.

Today I spent a few hours at Archambaud's. I played the Kronoses and struck up a conversation with the piano dealer about the relative merits of various pianos. He invited me to do my own comparisons into 'the room' with the really NICE pianos! If you haven't played a Steingraeber concert grand with the carbon fibre soundboard I highly recommend it! I topped off this evening having dinner at a jam session at the Upstairs Jazz Bar.

As you can see I'm seriously enjoying this city!

@Dan - I'll check out L'Astral (hmmm Place-desArts - haven't been there yet). Yep, Jazz Fest has always been a goal. It's just conflicted with Vancouver Jazz Fest which I've worked for the last 27 years. I may not do Van this year though. If I don't I'll be in Montreal for sure! And don't even get me started on les jolie femmes! Let's just say they earn their reputation for style. ;)

@Mark - done and done!

Majuscule - thanks for the tip and enjoy Esperanza!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Hey MonksDream, sounds like you've made A LOT out of your visit thus far! Here are various suggestions...

Check out the Mountain if you haven't, it must be pretty this time of year. You've spent some time already in the Plateau/Mile End, which would have been one of my suggestions. I'd love to move there in a few years! Attraction wise, you've covered it mainly. The Olympic Stadium/Botanical Gardens/museums are kind of drab.

Montreal's a food city, so if you're into pizza, there's a great little place called Amelio's in the McGill ghetto on Milton. If you're into Indian food, check out Curry and Nann in Park Ex on Jean-Talon West. There's also the Orange Julep on Decarie. There are many other great places, but these are some of my favourites. I've been getting a lot of sushi recently from Tokyo sushi on Saint-Mathieu and Sainte-Catherine West. It's all you can eat, and pretty reasonably priced at lunch. Chic compared to some of the other all-you-can-eat sushi places out there. Wollensky's of course is a classic in terms of meat/bread sandwich. Don't cut it. It comes with mustard. Don't you dare ask questions either.

Music-wise, I also don't think much is happening. If you want to check out another music store, be sure to check out Steve's on Saint Antoine. The staff don't have the best reputation and it doesn't have the greatest stock, but the place is legendary. Better yet though, if you want a place with some unique stock, check out Moog Audio on Saint-Laurent. Our other big retailer is Italmelodie on Jean-Talon East, but Archambault carries a very similar, if not better stock. (I'm glad you enjoyed the piano room!)

Our metro system is pretty cool, if you haven't tried it already. Check the art along the green line (I doubt anything interesting is happening at Place des festivals but if you're in the area you can check it out along with Place des Arts, as Dan said!), or take the metro from Berri-UQAM to Parc Jean-Drapeau. Everything will probably be closed though, despite our spring-like weather. You can also take the metro to the old hockey forum near Atwater where the Canadiens used to play.

Fortunately you'll be out of town by Thursday when the student protests will fill up the streets downtown. That'll be something... Anyhow, divide up your last time here in such away that you do things that are close together. Sit back, relax, eat, and be merry! And grab a beer while you're at it.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I LOVE Montreal! I was there a few years ago shooting video for my production of Beside the Manor Selby. I was first there in 1970 and have enjoyed it ever since. Nice to have quite a few forumites from that beautiful place.

[video:youtube]fAYeLd3nkHE

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

If you like maple syrup you could visit a sugar shack (not many of these on the island though) and have a typical meal. You might even catch some live traditionnal music. The sugar season might not last much longer this year due to the extreme weather...

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

My boss took me here a couple years ago. Incredible meal and different than anything you are likely to find in the states.

Au Pied De Cochon

I believe It was featured on Anthony Bourdain's show.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Bienvenue! Tonight check out Kalmunity (improvised groove music) at Les Bobards (4328 st laurent) or Alex Bellegarde's jam at Diese Onze (4115 st denis). Enjoy!

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

My boss took me here a couple years ago. Incredible meal and different than anything you are likely to find in the states.

Au Pied De Cochon

I believe It was featured on Anthony Bourdain's show.

Yeah, I heard about this place! Haven't tried it yet but would LOVE to.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Check out the Mountain if you haven't, it must be pretty this time of year.

It is indeed! I was there last Sunday with my wife. We walked to the observation deck for that fantastic view. We were very impressed with the Chalet up there too. As a BC'er I have to say that the local definition of 'mountain' made us giggle ;)

Attraction wise, you've covered it mainly. The Olympic Stadium/Botanical Gardens/museums are kind of drab.

Thanks for the warning!

Montreal's a food city, so if you're into pizza, there's a great little place called Amelio's in the McGill ghetto on Milton. If you're into Indian food, check out Curry and Nann in Park Ex on Jean-Talon West. There's also the Orange Julep on Decarie. There are many other great places, but these are some of my favourites. I've been getting a lot of sushi recently from Tokyo sushi on Saint-Mathieu and Sainte-Catherine West. It's all you can eat, and pretty reasonably priced at lunch. Chic compared to some of the other all-you-can-eat sushi places out there. Wollensky's of course is a classic in terms of meat/bread sandwich. Don't cut it. It comes with mustard. Don't you dare ask questions either.

Thanks for these.

Music-wise, I also don't think much is happening. If you want to check out another music store, be sure to check out Steve's on Saint Antoine. The staff don't have the best reputation and it doesn't have the greatest stock, but the place is legendary. Better yet though, if you want a place with some unique stock, check out Moog Audio on Saint-Laurent. Our other big retailer is Italmelodie on Jean-Talon East, but Archambault carries a very similar, if not better stock. (I'm glad you enjoyed the piano room!)

I went by Moog Music during our walk to Schwartz's. The name got me excited ;) And, yes, the piano room was a highlight of the trip. I don't often get the opportunity to compare multiple concert grands :thu:

Our metro system is pretty cool, if you haven't tried it already. Check the art along the green line (I doubt anything interesting is happening at Place des festivals but if you're in the area you can check it out along with Place des Arts, as Dan said!), or take the metro from Berri-UQAM to Parc Jean-Drapeau. Everything will probably be closed though, despite our spring-like weather. You can also take the metro to the old hockey forum near Atwater where the Canadiens used to play.

I love the Metro! It's easy and fast, and relatively quiet with those rubber wheels. What surprises me is how close together the stops are. I think it's a function of how compact the areas of the main city are. It's an easy city to get around in.

Fortunately you'll be out of town by Thursday when the student protests will fill up the streets downtown. That'll be something... Anyhow, divide up your last time here in such away that you do things that are close together. Sit back, relax, eat, and be merry! And grab a beer while you're at it.

Actuallly the last riot was right next to my hotel at Berri-UQAM. It was quite the night! We had to walk around the police barricades several blocks to get to St. Denis only a block away. The Montreal police don't fool around! They were in choppers, on horseback, dozens of cars, and full head-bustin' riot gear. The irony of this happening on the International Day Against Police Brutality was sharp.

This is my last day here and I'm going to wander around Vieux Montreal and Centre-Ville and soak up what I can of this great city. J'aime beaucoup Montréal!

Done and done! The bagels were excellent! Will do improv when I come back; and we WILL come back! Yep, the Habs weren't at their best but at least they won the game against the Sens. You guys could use a Sedin or two ;)

Wow, you've been busy! Make sure you grab a bagel (St-Viateur or Fairmount) and a poutine (La Banquise or La Belle Province), too!

You could also check out some improv. Montréal is world-class in that domain.

Too bad you saw the Habs this year, huh? ;)

If you want a list of local shows/venues, pick up a (free) copy of "Voir" or "The Mirror". One venue I really like for indie shows is "Le Divan Orange".

Have fun.

Thanks, I picked up the Mirror. Cool paper. If you're in Vancouver the equivalent is the Georgia Striaght.

If you like maple syrup you could visit a sugar shack (not many of these on the island though) and have a typical meal. You might even catch some live traditionnal music. The sugar season might not last much longer this year due to the extreme weather...

You can't come to Quebec and not try some sirop d'erable! I also love traditional Quebecois music ike La Boutine Souriante (sp?) or La Vent du Nord. I've had a pretty good time with those guys in Vancouver. Another that comes to mind is The Lost Fingers, although they're more gypsy jazz. They get the crowds going with tunes like 'Ça fait rire les oiseau' though.

'Extreme weather' is right! I packed for Montreal late-winter weather and everyone's walking around in t-shirts and shorts! Tabernak!

Bienvenue! Tonight check out Kalmunity (improvised groove music) at Les Bobards (4328 st laurent) or Alex Bellegarde's jam at Diese Onze (4115 st denis). Enjoy!

Damn! I was too tired last night to head out but Kalmunity looked good! I hope they make it to Van. I'll do the jam next time I'm here. We went to Diese Onze and heard two really good bands. A gypsy jazz trio and The Montreal Hard Bop 5. Both recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
Rufus Reid at Upstairs this weekend, and my buddies in Groundfood, a spin off of Kalmunity, are at le Belmont (st laurent and mont royal) saturday night.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

If you dig jazz, check out The Rufus Reid Trio

The 12th Edition of Jazz en Rafale

Rufus Reid bass

Steve Allee piano

Duduka DaFonseca drums

Upstairs Jazz Bar and Grill

Jazz en Rafale

1254, rue Mackay

Montréal, Quebec

Canada

7:30pm & 10:00pm

The piano player is a friend of mine, and a real monster. Very rhythmic and melodic player with a pretty unique ability to play very high end concepts in such a melodic way that you hardly realize just how out it really is.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Rufus Reid at Upstairs this weekend, and my buddies in Groundfood, a spin off of Kalmunity, are at le Belmont (st laurent and mont royal) saturday night.
Ahh, just noticed your post about Rufus. :thu:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived