Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just getting into Little Feat. Bill Payne FTW!!!!!!!

kong

P.S. If you really want to talk about NOLA piano and especially Booker, ask FunkKeyStuff.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did someone mention Booker? ;)

My favorite of his "official" albums is "New Orleans Piano Wizard Live." He also had two great albums on a German label that were out of print for years, but are now on iTunes: "Blues & Ragtime" and "Piano Prince from New Orleans."

The two CDs that were culled from live Maple Leaf recordings, "Spiders on the Keys" and "Bayou Maharajah," have some amazing playing, as long as you can deal with the fact that they're amateur recordings of a funky old upright in a bar.

And yeah, you can get a book of transcriptions of his playing, "The James Booker Collection," which I did the transcriptions for. (This is not a "plug," as I don't make anything from sales of the book.)

Speaking of Cleary, I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that the February issue of Keyboard mag had some great written and audio examples of him playing the "junker's blues" form in different styles:

I have an Uncle Bill Payne and a cousin Bill Payne and my grandfather was Bill Payne too, so I always think of them when I see Billy Payne threads.

Billy Payne, Billy Preston, Billy Powell...the powerful three Billys.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Billy Payne, Billy Preston, Billy Powell...the powerful three Billy Ps.
Fixed it for ya. ;)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It was his solo to Johhny Rivers version of Rockin Pneumonia that got me interested in Orleans piano ....

Whoa! WHICH solo to the Johnny Rivers version of Rockin' Pneumonia? Do you mean the 1972 Hit (Billboard: #6 for 14 weeks) that we all know? I thought the pianist on that recording was Dumpy Rice. Where can I find the Billy Payne version? Or did I get it wrong, and Billy Payne IS the pianist on that famous cut?

You know when you hear a piano solo that just electrifies you? So often, when I research who the pianist was, I find it was Billy Payne. Again, and again....

Another amazing band with Frank Zappa as its genesis. Lowell George and Roy Estrada left The Mothers of Invention to start LF; Bill Payne auditioned for The Mothers, but didn't take/get the gig. And the name came from Jimmy Carl Black, the "Indian of the group"(The Mothers), a comment about George's physiology.

Think about all the greatness that Frank begat:

Jean Luc Ponty

U.K. (Terry Bozzio, Eddie Jobson, who played in the Zoot Allures era)

George Duke

Missing Persons (Terry Bozzio, Dale Bozzio, Warren Cucurullo and Patrick O'Hearn all came from Frank)

Peter Wolf (not the J Geils dude)

Steve Vai

Vinnie Coliautu (sp, Sting, Jeff Beck, etc.)

Chad Wackerman

Just off the top of my head, and I know there's more.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Actually, "animal" is one of the last words I'd use to describe him. He has chops, but he's so darn tasteful.

Love "Let It Roll". That whole album is superb!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've never been nearly as impressed with Mr Powell as with the other two.
Indeed.

Well, he is the third best in that group, but man those other two are/were STELLAR. I still gotta give Mr. Powell his props though. His piano playing was a signature part of that iteration of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Another amazing band with Frank Zappa as its genesis.

I thought that Lowell George started with The Bed Bugs.

It seems that Jack Black owes much of his schtick to Lowell's performance on this 1967 episode of F Troop.

Now THAT'S insane! Love F Troop...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived