Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP-5

Dave Bryce

I can't comment on the CP4, unfortunately. I haven't even seen it in person yet. From what I've read from others, the step from 5 to 4 is not necessarily an improvement in all respects.

Anyway, you could get a good gigbag with wheels. I carry mine in a Soundwear bag, very similar to those "official" Yamaha-branded bags, which makes a very manageable package for me. In the last three years I've completely switched from hard cases to Soundwear or Nord bags and have never looked back so far. Better fix a broken knob than a broken back I guess.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure why you need a digital piano for in house use when you have the Steinway. And I would want to do a side by side between the CP4 and CP5 to make sure.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Mr Ferris

If you don't put your mind in a box, similar to boxes I have put myself in " Oh, my keyboard and case HAVE to always be x lbs, and always weather protected"

you could do as I did the other day in a park on the Pacific coast.

Use no case! I got the idea from a retired, normally built man, not esp strong, former airline capt/ weekend warrior , who uses no case. It weights 70 lbs where the cp5 is 55 lbs.

He is nearing 70 Dave. If its questionable weather, rain, you don't carry it!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I briefly played the CP4 at GC Clackamas recently (too briefly to comment on it much in detail). I selected it's mono piano. It sounded fantastic. I unplugged it and easily carried it around the showroom.

I walked away thinking that Yamaha had solved the two biggest issues players have with the CP5.

I'd suggest passing on it Dave. That's a lot of money. If a CP4 isn't as satisfying to you, there will be other CP5s that will pop up as time goes on - and at a much friendlier price as time goes on. Digital pianos never appreciate in value.

My own solution to the questions I asked in this thread (two years ago!) was to pass. I picked up a PX-5s a year later, and it's worked out fine for me. But that's just me...

So someone talk me out of buying one again. ;)

It's no secret to most here that I did really dig the CP5 when I owned it for the 18 months.

Pass and just get the CP4 ? Or get something that might be a link to a bygone era and one of the last quality builds on a DP.

I still in some ways, at least playing solo, prefer the CF Grand to the CFX in the CP4. Not owning the CP4, the new sample I'm guessing will probably grow on me, especially with my higher end speakers and di/pre. Plus experience tells me the CFX will definitely work better for the majority of band contexts.

So a yea or nay on the CP5 ? :) At $1400-1500, I feel it's a no brainer for me. In good condition, I'd snatch one up in a second. However I'm just a tad hesitant on spending just under 2K on it.

DF, cop the Yamaha CP4 from GC especially if they still have that 30-day return policy. Take the CP4 home and play it through your gear.

If the CP4 doesn't provide the same experience, take it back to GC and cop the CP5. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks everyone that chimed in constructively - Peter, Andi, LX88, Prof, Bill, Tee.

I've decided to pass on the CP5 for the time being and go ahead (finally ;) ) on the CP4. It's just so much more practical for gigs , in addition to sounding and playing great.

I'd suggest passing on it Dave. That's a lot of money. If a CP4 isn't as satisfying to you, there will be other CP5s that will pop up as time goes on - and at a much friendlier price as time goes on. Digital pianos never appreciate in value.

Thanks Bill. That helped put things in perspective more. It is a lot of money for a discontinued DP. I'll keep an eye on the LA CL every so often and if one comes up at a good price, in good condition, and I still feel the urge...then maybe I'll get one.

Anyway, you could get a good gigbag with wheels. I carry mine in a Soundwear bag, very similar to those "official" Yamaha-branded bags, which makes a very manageable package for me. In the last three years I've completely switched from hard cases to Soundwear or Nord bags and have never looked back so far. Better fix a broken knob than a broken back I guess.

Hi Andi. I still have my email to you & Soundwear regarding the CP5 bag a few years back. I just wrote them on a CP4 bag...and momma mia...the prices must've have really jumped up in two years. The price for a CP4 bag, smaller then the CP5, is now around $295 + 50 ship (approx.). The CP5 bag was $215 + $50 ship in July of '12.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Had the CP5, but for me the weight was ungiggable, not in an absolute sense, but in the sense that moving it around was such a wet blanket on what I would otherwise enjoy about gigging. Mind you, I wouldn't have said something that at 25. At 50, it's a major consideration.

The CP4 solved that problem, and the action actually feels improved. I felt very connected to the CP5, and missed that connection after I sold it. Now, it's back. For me, the CP4 is everything I liked about the CP5 minus the main negative thing I didn't, with some subtle improvements thrown in.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks Adan. Glad to see you digging yours. Yeah, I know all it would take is one gig where I'd schlep that beast on (especially after just only dealing with the NP88 & NP2 going on 2.5 years) and I'd say..forget that sh.t man.. :laugh:

Again, I'll be 61 in just under 8 weeks. I'm super fit for my age group and generally feel great most of the time, but I'd rather save the energy I do have (which is less then when I was 50) for playing the music at the gig then putting it into the schlep. :cool:

2005 NY Steinway D

Thanks Adan. Glad to see you digging yours. Yeah, I know all it would take is one gig where I'd schlep that beast on (especially after just only dealing with the NP88 & NP2 going on 2.5 years) and I'd say..forget that sh.t man.. :laugh:

Again, I'll be 61 in just under 8 weeks. I'm super fit for my age group and generally feel great most of the time, but I'd rather save the energy I do have (which is less then when I was 50) for playing the music at the gig then putting it into the schlep. :cool:

To say nothing of the much improved user interface on the CP4. I love mine, YMMV.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• 2 months later...

So it's back. :crazy:

Thanks moon zero two here on the forum for packing it up real nice, hassling with the shipping and including a brand new Gator GK-88 case. All at a KC friendly price that was too hard to refuse AND in top notch condition. :cool:

Was playing it last night for about 45 minutes and then another half hour before bed. Absolutely love it ! Although it still does sound better through my AKG 240s then the RCF TT08A speakers. Even with the JMK Audio JM-110 di/pre - which I didn't have when I sold it. It's way smoother on the top end with the AKG phones. Where the CP4's CF Grand and CFX sound less harsh through the speakers.

So there's only one solution - better speakers. A pair of Fulcrum Acoustic 28ACs :o:laugh:

It's great fun playing with the Modern Jazz & Afro Cuban drum grooves. Was playin' "Con Alma" with the afro cuban groove at a pretty bright tempo, chorus after chorus.

Jeez , many of the drummers I have the misfortune of playing with should have such good time.

That, the butter smooth action, and the mic input with the killer processing, are my favorite things about the CP5. For messing around at home, it's more fun then the CP4.

Even with a case though, doubtful I'm takin' this puppy out anytime soon. ;)

It's really nice to have it back 2 years and one month since I sold it.

2005 NY Steinway D

So it's back. :crazy:

Thanks moon zero two here on the forum for packing it up real nice, hassling with the shipping and including a brand new Gator GK-88 case. All at a KC friendly price that was too hard to refuse AND in top notch condition. :cool:

Was playing it last night for about 45 minutes and then another half hour before bed. Absolutely love it ! Although it still does sound better through my AKG 240s then the RCF TT08A speakers. Even with the JMK Audio JM-110 di/pre - which I didn't have when I sold it. It's way smoother on the top end. Where the CP4's CF Grand and CFX sound less harsh through the speakers.

So there's only one solution - better speakers. A pair of Fulcrum Acoustic 28ACs :o:laugh:

It's great fun playing with the Modern Jazz & Afro Cuban drum grooves. Was playin' "Con Alma" with the afro cuban groove at a pretty bright tempo, chorus after chorus.

Jeez , many of the drummers I have the misfortune of playing with should have such good time.

That, the action and the mic input with the killer processing, are my favorite things about the CP5, that for messing around at home, make it more fun then the CP4.

Even with a case though, doubtful I'm takin' this puppy out anytime soon. ;)

It's really nice to have it back 2 years and one month since I sold it.

I'm glad you have your binky back ;)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Archived