Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XW-P1

Ken Beaumont

Great job Mike on the NAMM demos...you really captured the flexibility, interaction and FUN of the different engines and the pattern sequencer!

For the next round I'm sure you'll do some in-depth looks at the engines. Like To B3, I'd like to see how the Tonewheel engine captures different styles and iconic organ sounds (like rock organs with lots of grit). Also, knowing the XWP1/G1 64 note limit, would like to see some gig performance examples with different splits/layers for different music styles. Thanks, Jordan

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike,

Is the action the same as on the WK-7500?

Yes

Thanks. Will be a helpful reference until the XW hits stores.

True but playing a WK-7500 with its built in speakers might give you a different impression than playing a XW through monitors. Many people at NAMM insisted that the physical mechanics of some Privia models felt different when the speaker system is the only change.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

What about the other sounds, are they derived from the WK7500? Some great wurlys, clavs and rhodes there, as far as I remember... Any mellotrons?

Intrigued by the interface too, esp for live use... did not see any dedicated split and layer buttons there by the pictures, like on previous models (WK/CTK)... thought they would be very handy on stage performances...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Seems like the top/botom rotors are accelerating/slowing down independently, no?

Sounds like the rotors are moving in unison to me. Though the effect is still not bad.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

True but playing a WK-7500 with its built in speakers might give you a different impression than playing a XW through monitors. Many people at NAMM insisted that the physical mechanics of some Privia models felt different when the speaker system is the only change.

Noted.

I think these Casios look really cool. I'm a sequencer junky, and I think the sequencing aspects are really appealing...mainly the interface looks really fast and intuitive. One of the more impressive workstationesque boards I've seen in a while.

I wonder, Mr. Martin, do the sequencers support odd time signatures, 5/4, 7/4, and the like?

Also, what's its MIDI interaction like? Could I use the sequencer to record MIDI off of other keyboards?

2/4 to 8/4, 2/8 to 16/8.

In addition, each part on the grid can have a different grid length (from 2 to 16 steps) and a different note length value. So your high-hats can do 1/8th note triplets while another part is doing quarter notes and a third track is doing 16th notes. You can choose whether parts transpose or not. And while parts are labeled Drm1, Drm2...etc, these do not have to be drum parts.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I don't imagine it's the primary intended market, but I can see a lot of these going into praise and worship bands. I know one is going into mine :) I like the big sounds of those pads and layers, and you can't argue with the price.

Looking critically at the vids, the only thing I don't like is that the keys seem to be hinged right at the edge of the front panel rather than further back. That makes it tough to play in key signatures with multiple sharps and flats - and there's a lot of praise music (as well as hymns) in that category.

Some of you have mentioned hooking one up to a Vent. That's sick stuff - paying more for the effect box than the keyboard :D

Just bought a Vent and will be doing a video next week with and without it.

Wow...I doubt many of the other vendors would do such a thing. Thanks for going above and beyond, Mike!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I plan on showing a variety of real world applications for the XW. While some people may purchase a XW as their primary keyboard others may purchase one to supliment their existing rig. The reality is people are using laptops, iPads, iPhones, effects pedals and all kinds of devices to make music and the XW integrates well with other gear. The USB MIDI and Standard MIDI ports in the XW can function independently allowing you to easily control an iPad and other MIDI device at the same time.

That being said, I plan on showing the XW with an iPad running the AniMoog app as the External oscillator source combined with the XW's own sounds in the SoloSynth engine. Using it with a Vent is natural, many of our customers are doing this with our existing CTK-7000 and WK-7500 with incredible results. The organ mode in the XW is even better so I think this is an important thing to show.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Sounds to me like Mike is fairly confident that the internal sim is going to hold up well against the "gold standard" of Leslie sims.

Should be interesting... :snax:

Bill, my intent is not to do a shoot out. My intent is to show real world applications. As I mentioned many users of our CTK and WK keyboards are using Vents and people who buy keyboards costing thousands are also using Vents. I think it is realistic that someone buying a XW would also buy a Vent which would save about a thousand from any dedicated clone wheel.

I think it is also realistic that someone buying an XW-G1 might use something like a Kaoss Pad with it. Again my point is not to compare but show the quality of the integration and the real world application.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Bill, my intent is not to do a shoot out. My intent is to show real world applications. As I mentioned many users of our CTK and WK keyboards are using Vents and people who buy keyboards costing thousands are also using Vents. I think it is realistic that someone buying a XW would also buy a Vent which would save about a thousand from any dedicated clone wheel.

Sounds good to me :) That B3 clone is a big part of why I'm interested in this board for the praise team. Can't wait :thu:

I'm wondering if there's any way of setting up one-touch presets or not. I'm also wondering how it responds to bank/program changes, as the main patch control in my rig is Mainstage 2.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Hi all,

Here's clarification from Mike Martin on XW-P1 Performance Mode (from the other forum ;-)

" In a Performance, you can use only ONE of the following:

SoloSynth

HexLayer

Drawbar Organ

Zones 2, 3 & 4 can access any of the PCM sounds in the machine.

Quick clarification on the two of the specialty sounds...

1. SoloSynth: A Monophonic engine. Six Oscillators, each with their own pitch settings (including adjustable key-scaling and Pitch envelope) filter (basic lowpass with envelope), Amp section with envelope all going to one Total Resonant Filter.

2. HexLayer: A Polyphonic Engine in a single six layer tone. This is not a "combi" mode but a single sound that lets you chose from six sample sets in the machine and combine them in various ways. You can split, layer or velocity switch. Each layer has its own lowpass filter, transposition, pan, key range, envelope effects mix and more. It lends itself to pads, but during the NAMM show we created all kinds of sounds.

There was another question about memory. All patches and sequences will remain in memory after you shut it off."

New Question for Mike: What then is the structure and edit capability on the PCM sounds? Or are the Zone 2-4 PCM sounds preset only?

Thanks, Jordan

New Question for Mike: What then is the structure and edit capability on the PCM sounds? Or are the Zone 2-4 PCM sounds preset only?

Thanks, Jordan

For any of the stock PCM sounds you can adjust envelopes, non-resonant lowpass, touch response and more. I'm waiting for our gear to come back from NAMM so I don't have access to one right now. You can store (I believe) about 100 user sounds. The sounds to chose from here are good, when you start stacking them in a performance they really shine.

-Mike Martin

Casio

2. HexLayer: A Polyphonic Engine in a single six layer tone. This is not a "combi" mode but a single sound that lets you chose from six sample sets in the machine and combine them in various ways. You can split, layer or velocity switch. Each layer has its own lowpass filter, transposition, pan, key range, envelope effects mix and more. It lends itself to pads, but during the NAMM show we created all kinds of sounds.

I'm looking forward to trying this out. Can't wait!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Are the hexlayer presets more towards synthetic and orchestral sounds or do we find some vintage-y stuff like electric pianos and clavs with more layers stacked and details that could not be made with simple PCM sounds too? And regarding PCM sounds, are they derived from the later WK line?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Hi all,

I think the collective wisdom of B3 aficionados is that the Vent is the superior rotary/overdrive effect on the market (external or internal). From A/B tests with the Vent on this forum....it can turn a plain organ sound into filet mignon! So I don't think most expect the XW-PI to better the Vent's rotary or overdrive sim.

Mike, my question is how far can the PI organ model/effects go to create inconic organ sounds?(...including those with distortion and grit). I'd like to see/hear a demo with the PI organ presets and editing capability. I also look forward to the new videos showing the XW-PI in a variety of applications.

That said, the $500 XW + a $500 Vent could be a winning price/clonewheel combination (if audio out/routing is practical). I do wonder when MI companies will license or buy Vent technology to include in their clonewheels, workstations. etc....

Thanks,

Jordan

Are the hexlayer presets more towards synthetic and orchestral sounds or do we find some vintage-y stuff like electric pianos and clavs with more layers stacked and details that could not be made with simple PCM sounds too? And regarding PCM sounds, are they derived from the later WK line?

We're getting close to the final software. Based on the HexLayer sounds that are in it now, a large percentage of them are synth stacks. It is my goal that by the time we ship to have a significant number of downloadable presets that will be posted on www.casiomusicgear.com that cover a lot more gig ready things like clav and brass splits, rhodes with synth bass and more piano layered patches.

Some of the PCM sounds are derived from the WK, but there is a lot of new content that was not in previous products.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, my question is how far can the PI organ model/effects go to create inconic organ sounds?(...including those with distortion and grit). I'd like to see/hear a demo with the PI organ presets and editing capability. I also look forward to the new videos showing the XW-PI in a variety of applications.

Thanks,

Jordan

As stated, I'll do some examples without the vent and show you what the XW can do on its own.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Thanks,

Jordan

As stated, I'll do some examples without the vent and show you what the XW can do on its own.

Excellent + thanks so much for responses on the forum Mike!!

Based on the HexLayer sounds that are in it now, a large percentage of them are synth stacks. It is my goal that by the time we ship to have a significant number of downloadable presets that will be posted on www.casiomusicgear.com that cover a lot more gig ready things like clav and brass splits, rhodes with synth bass and more piano layered patches.

I'm hoping for plenty of ambient sounds layered together. I use lots of motion and textural sounds in my music...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

We're getting close to the final software. Based on the HexLayer sounds that are in it now, a large percentage of them are synth stacks. It is my goal that by the time we ship to have a significant number of downloadable presets that will be posted on www.casiomusicgear.com that cover a lot more gig ready things like clav and brass splits, rhodes with synth bass and more piano layered patches.

Some of the PCM sounds are derived from the WK, but there is a lot of new content that was not in previous products.

Great! Looking forward to that... What about the interface, how do real time splits and performances work on the XW? Praying that you don´t answer "enter menu ABC, submenu XYZ and stuff...." :D

What happened to the good ol´ split and layer buttons on the panel?

Is the pedal jack assignable for expression or wah?

It is my goal that by the time we ship to have a significant number of downloadable presets that will be posted on www.casiomusicgear.com that cover a lot more gig ready things like clav and brass splits, rhodes with synth bass and more piano layered patches.

This thing sounds for interesting the more I here.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Archived