Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

• 1 month later...

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so I have some stuff to let y'all listen to.

Big Black Horse & The Cherry Tree (KT Tunstall) - a fairly straightforward version, albeit a bit fast. Very simple bass line, this one :)

Your Body Is A Wonderland (John Mayer) - I so nailed the bass intro during the first verse! [edit: I may be a little TOO busy, though]. A proud moment if ever I had one because I'd spent too little time with this song to be comfortable with it.

So Incredible (Ilse de Lange) - I need to watch my note length during the verses on this one, cos I tend to cut them off too quickly for my own liking. Otherwise a nice 'n' easy song to play. For some reason the bridge does not work for me, even though I follow the chords played by the guitars and keys. Could be my ears playing tricks with me.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I released yesterday my new funky track recorded with some high profile musicians such as Cleon Edwards on drums (drummer for Erykah Badu).

Take a listen on SoundCloud:

Recorded between Milan, Tbilisi, Los Angeles and Dallas, mixed in Wirral (UK).

Let me know your thoughts please!

www.facebook.com/marcellolavorgnamusic

www.twitter.com/marcellobass

www.youtube.com/user/marcellolavorgna

www.soundcloud.com/marcellolavorgnamusic

Some more music comes on after the track finishes; is that you also?

JC: By the looks on my browser, that's "Second Home"; the other clip on Soundcloud.

Marcello - sounds great; love a great horn driven band and your playing was fantastic.

Bunch of gear-heads here - care to share what you used and recorded with?

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Wow! That's really good! Must have cost quite a few bucks (or pounds sterling) to record.

Hi Jeremy, thank you! It didn't cost that much if you are talking about paying all the musicians.

Also, everything has been made by sharing back and forth Protools session; once a musician (for example Cleon in Dallas) had the drums session ready he sent back the session to me. I went to my recording studio and we did some typical editing.

Repeat this steps for each musician and you're done :)

It takes time to record a song this way though.

Some more music comes on after the track finishes; is that you also?

Yes that's my first track I did this way, with some different muusicians!

Marcello - sounds great; love a great horn driven band and your playing was fantastic.

Bunch of gear-heads here - care to share what you used and recorded with?

Thanks mate!

I used my Fender Jazz bass american standard with Aguilar Amp: AG500 head and GS212 cab with the Aguilar TLC Compressor.

Jeremy yeah you're right. I wrote the song with the bass line and my friend Olajide helped me writing the horn arrangements.

Then everyone recorded his own instrument and sent me back the track.

I only met the guitarist :)

• 2 months later...

Here is the whole video from Sweden recorded with Bo Diddley in 1987. This was originally recorded live in Stockholm as a concert documentary for Swedish TV and then was released world-wide and on A&E in the US in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRy4GTqIQ2I

I believe this is one of the best live recordings of Bo Diddley playing the songs that shaped his career.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• 1 month later...

In the 70's I appeared on the Donny & Marie Show with Bo Diddley. I never had a copy of this and found it today on YouTube. It's two short songs a little over two minutes starting at about 11:15 minutes into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeMtU7zNyYI

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• 2 weeks later...

I had an epic gig a couple weeks ago. Not epic as in how I was received--think the sound of one hand clapping--but in my performance level. And with nobody clapping the recording came out stellar. Very few brain farts, happy with the intonation and feel. I do need a new ukulele, as on the high string the fretted notes aren't in tune with the open string. Soooooo....which one do you tune to? Or since it's ukulele, does it matter? Click through the "Corks and More 10-25-13" after the title for this gig.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

And here's the first decent recording with my Win 8 machine and the Behringer FCA 1616 interface. One pass, no overdubs. So I don't yet know if the interface is synched properly with the 'puter as far as matching latency goes. I monitor out of the interface, so the latency can be big or small--as long as the input latency is equal and opposite the output latency, I'm good to go. I'll figure out that when I do a full recording, which won't happen till after I get a Band-In-A-Box upgrade that works with Win 8, as I use that to create a midi template for the song. But back to this recording, it was four tracks: two mic's and guitar left and right. I only used one of the mic's on the final. Enjoyed being able to mix the levels separately between guitar and vocals and still get stereo guitar. And the Tracktion 4 software I'm using is really nice. Learning to use it was a pain in that it doesn't look like a recording console so I had to learn where all the buttons were. But I do like it better than the Power Tracks Pro I was using.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes/haitian-divorce-11-8-13

I had an epic gig a couple weeks ago. Not epic as in how I was received--think the sound of one hand clapping--but in my performance level.

Hi Paul, so far this sounds really cool! I like the tone and color of your voice. It's a wee bit prominent in the mix but that adds to the charm. Love the intro to "Too Much Time ..." - is this all original material? Okay, except "Walk Of Life" :grin: Nice version, btw!

Thanks! All the tunes are covers except Dream Girl, which wrote itself after I read a "Dear Abby" advice column in the paper. I should spend more time writing bad songs instead of just waiting for lightning to strike.

Thanks! All the tunes are covers except Dream Girl, which wrote itself after I read a "Dear Abby" advice column in the paper. I should spend more time writing bad songs instead of just waiting for lightning to strike.

I will say this, Paul: I had the intention of listening to one or two songs, but since the Soundcloud feed kept jumping to the next track I kept listening for a good few tracks. It took me a while before I realized this - the experience was an enjoyable one and I had a blast listening to your performance!

Those are some cool recordings and I am sure they would serve as great demo tracks, too. Well done, sir!

Some tracks from last Friday's gig:

Stand By Me (Edith singing lead) - we open our first set with this one. Initially I found this an odd choice but it seems to work well! I play one bum note here :)

RU Kidding Me (Lisa singing lead) - I totally love this bass line! We play the song "acoustically" because we couldn't get it to work with two electric guitars.

Venus (both girls sharing lead) - a classic!

Satisfaction (Lisa singing lead) - another classic :) I purposefully try to get my bass line out of sync with the lead guitar, in case you are wondering. I find it adds to the feel of the track.

Bad Moon Rising (Edith singing lead) - and another classic... I add a touch of country here and there and generally have fun with this. Edith loves the little riff I play during the "don't go round tonight" sections :)

Looking for honest feedback here, people! So if you like it, say so and if you don't like it, also say so :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. Hope you are doing, um... what needs done. ;)

Here is a recording done with one of the projects I am working on here in the hinterlands of The Bad Place. It is all still in flux, somewhat, and still very much in the "writing and having fun, hanging out and playing" phase.

(We are still in the recording space, and more tunes are likely to follow, if popular demand and insular scheduling issues someday coalesce in a tidal pool of cosmic playfulness.)

Call it Old Skool meets slightly Newer School with a touch of Schooly D's cranky old neighbor.

(Seriously though, watch that guy. He may be a Veteran, but he's a little scary.)

Ok, it's probably not even as good as all that, but it's kinda fun to play, and the drummer's cool. :D

Some random Facebook Page

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Paul K- Really like some of the arrangements on your tracks, creative takes on familiar originals.

"Me and Julio" especially has a cool Buddy Holly rave-up meets Elvis Costello tear-down approach. Dig-it.

Eddie- sorry, I can't hear any bass on these speakers, have to get to my main box, or find some headphones. Like what I can hear, though.)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 2 weeks later...