Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

About two weeks ago, a friend got this video from one of my band's local performances for another friend's birthday. This is a long clip, and it features some bass feedback, a theremin freakout, the "f" word, cowbell and both bass and guitar wah.

[video:youtube]

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In your listing of things that may be offensive to some people you should have listed that white square thing on the ceiling. For some reason that is the only thing that bothered me.

An yes, I am fully aware that I'm a white square thing.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

It's interesting that you interpreted that list as things that might be offensive. I thought I was mentioning the highlights...

And thanks for mentioning the white square on the ceiling. I hadn't paid any attention to it before, but now it's all I can see.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Thanks, guys--glad you dug it a bit. Eddie, those two songs are about 95% arranged, but we leave room for improv during the freakouts. And Jeremy, I guess the f-bombs are kind of subtle.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I like room for improv! My band will often play extended solo's if the mood is right and people are into it. This often leads to an additional verse and chorus (or two) and some crowd participation. Keeps me on my toes for sure!

Erik, I really dig your sound. I was more into it a few years ago but I still enjoy it if it is well done I need to know if and when you guys will record stuff!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hey Eddie,

The improv is kind of minimal for us--we don't add verses or extend solos, but some of the stuff that happens in the solo sections is subject to immediate interpretation. We generally keep those bits in a similar vein from performance to performance, but we're loose enough to roll with it.

If you like what you saw the the video clip, you can get a whole album here: Orbital Rites. It's a free download.

We've got some new stuff recorded for an upcoming EP we're doing with a small label in our area, but that's not due out for a while.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Right on. If you listen while you work out, you are virtually guaranteed to be the most buff dude in the place, but you may get the munchies very shortly after listening, so... be advised.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Sounds about right. Our reviews reflect a similar response.

Decibel Magazine

Heavy Planet

Sludgelord

Etc, etc.

For people who like the sensation of the true, old-school Godzilla stomping a mud hole in the wack-ass, lame new-school Godzilla's ass (with a feeling), we're a pretty solid bet.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

My lovely wife did come over to my room and shut the door, although she was smiling as she did so.

Glad to hear that happens to other people than just me. And sometimes she doesn't smile.

I put new strings on the guitar, so I recorded this:

https://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes/ride-like-the-wind-11-24-12

And I even played bass on it, so I guess it's Lowdown relevant.

Christopher Cross: A great talent, but not pretty enough for MTV.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself and tell us something about you. Join in on a thread.

You seem to be from Russia. Tell us about the music scene there.

I don't really think that's a rehearsal, it sounds like a studio recording.

Not a lot to say about the bass playing. You're all playing to a sequencer and everyone is locked into it, so that's good. The parts are all extremely repetitive with no variation like most pop songs these day

You have your bass strung like a guitar, usually the end of the string goes into the hole in the tuning peg. Often the string has to be cut first so that there are not too many windings around the peg.

Phil, that is one great-sounding trio! I like how despite the fact that you play a different instrument (a fretted one) it is still instantly recognizable as being you! In my book, this is a great sign.

I love the mood on Footprints. The gradual build-up towards a more busy interplay is so subtle, it almost gives me goosebumps! Totally dig the guitar player, by the way! I really like his sound and playing. There is definite interplay between all three musicians, which I really like. Very tasty bass solo, as I have come to expect from you.

First thing that comes to mind when hearing Softly As In A Morning Sunrise, is how full your trio sounds! Nice, tasty walking bass lines there. I should really transcribe (or t*b) your lines, it's a bass lesson in itself right there :) I love the interaction with the drummer, very groovy!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Crap. Never mind. Evidently, my computer woes are affecting recording. Coming back to the jam after re-booting my computer, the playback was too slow and almost a whole step flat. Evidently when I recorded the song, the computer was in that "fast mode" screw-up that I posted about in the OT thread. So on playback on a re-booted 'puter it sounded slow.

This isn't good.

Ladies and Gentlemen;

Alright, so I downloaded the software from my e-Mu soundcard as well as the other codec that ButcherNburn recommended. I think the soundcard download fixed the problem; thanks for the hint, ButcherNburn. So here's the new take. I didn't mess up the words this time. It kinda sucked 'cause I screwed it up on literally the last line of the song. And wow, Bruce sometimes stuffs 7 kilos of lyrics into a 5 kilo bag.

Yup. The metric thing was for our northern and overseas friends 'cause I'm bilingual.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes/thunder-road-12-12-12

Starnes & Shah just released our new single today with yours truly on bass. It's called "24 Million". You can check out the preview on iTunes for now.

For this track I played my Fender American Standard Precision bass 5 string strung with D'Addario Chromes. My sound was a combination of a Radial JDI into the board and an amp channel that used a vintage Ampeg B-15. The B-15 was mic'd with an EV RE-20.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."