Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

Eddie, we did two shows with a change of audience that night. I know the one with the black sleeveless was the first set and the black and white the second set. They used a combination for the video. I was soak and wet after the first set and changed the shirt. I know now that when doing this kind of a shoot I should have two sets of the same clothing.

The Hey Bo Diddley cut has Bo moving back to drums for part of it. This alone makes this classic.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There a million things wrong with this performance but I still like it.... Go ahead, critique... I don't care.. I had fun.

I never did adjust my amp settings.... video is a great tool...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

A "bonus" track from our demo recordings, which I kind of like. Chances of us playing it like this live are next to zero but hey, that's what bonus tracks are for :grin:

The Letter (alternative mix)

I will be the first to admit that my playing is a bit sloppy. Always seems to be on this particular track ...It's no excuse but if I'd known he was gonna do a "remix" like this I would have paid more attention.

Whichever tracks we end up selecting will be put on our website for your entertainment :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

The Hey Bo Diddley cut has Bo moving back to drums for part of it. This alone makes this classic.

True that! I went ahead and posted it on the FB page of my former band's drummer :-) Hope you don't mind!

Not a problem Eddie.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Eddie... I dig it. A lot.

Wow, thanks! I feel like I reached a milestone :grin: Seriously, thanks!

The selection of tunes has been uploaded to soundcloud under the banner Dusty Dollar - The Demo Tapes. Not the most imaginative name, I guess. It contains the full-band version of The Letter, too. Puts my bass line back in its proper context ;)

This leaves 3 "unreleased" tracks from the recording session, one of which (La Grange) is on our website as a video. The other two are our Joe Bonamassa-inspired treatment of the ZZ Top classic "Just Got Paid" (truth be told it is a very sloppy version) and our version of Poppa Chubby's "Working Class Blues" (with overdriven guitars and muddy bass - but I like it :grin:)

There a million things wrong with this performance but I still like it.... Go ahead, critique... I don't care.. I had fun.

Damn it, Ross! Every time I am somewhat pleased with my own skills as a bass player you remind me of the next level! Great playing, and I dig how you fill out the sound with busy playing, without overplaying (if that makes sense).

You know what I think of your singer (good voice, terrible stage presence). Decent stage outfit would work miracles, I am sure, but then again I would love to achieve the same with my own band.

I liked it!

Eddie and Ross (even though I know either of those are your real names):

You guys are rockin' it!

Keep up the good work!

What??? Not our real names??? Why I oughta...... [does Three Stooges thing...]

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Thanks. I agree. I do tend to rush things and have to constantly put the brakes on. About a quarter of the tunes in my book have bright marker at the top saying, "Slower than you think". Often after practicing a tune and playing it out a bunch of times, I'll hear the original. And oh, baby do I speed it up. Practicing with a click would be good thing for me.

I'm fortunate - I have a drummer that locks to original tempo, even when he's riffing off the original beat. When we rehearse "Perfect Strangers" (Deep Purple), I always feel like we're playing too slow - until I go back and listen to the studio version... then I realize I've been listening to too many live versions :D:thu:

Here's some of my live playing with Starnes & Shah:

[video:youtube]

We'll be playing in NYC again next week.

I get a really cool Cars vibe from that!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Damn it, Ross! Every time I am somewhat pleased with my own skills as a bass player you remind me of the next level! Great playing, and I dig how you fill out the sound with busy playing, without overplaying (if that makes sense).

You know what I think of your singer (good voice, terrible stage presence). Decent stage outfit would work miracles, I am sure, but then again I would love to achieve the same with my own band.

I liked it!

Your work on your demo is very good.... you know it is...

I had fun playing Crossroads. We had a few others that night that made me happy. Singer and "look of the band" will never be changed. I tried... For me this band is a gig. I like to play. I get paid and go home. Still working on putting together my dream band..

Again, great work on the demos.

I'm always a little surprised when people draw comparisons with the Cars. But it's kind of cool, too.

Off kilter sounding "look at me" keyboards, great simple hooks, edgy vocals. Definately smells like Cars! Even the bass line sounds like something Benjamin Orr would write! :D

I will stop for a while after this one, but here are the three "unreleased" tracks from our demo:

La Grange (ZZ Top)

Same as the video which I posted earlier. I played one mistake during all the recordings we did of this track, and they used THAT version :grin:

Working Class Blues (Poppa Chubby)

Our traditional set opener. One take was all we did but the guitars were too distorted to be of much use.

Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)

About as messy as we've ever played it, and left off with good reason, IMHO.

It has been agreed by the band that we will use a proper studio if we record something in the future. And who knows, we may even get to work on some original tunes :grin:

I'm always a little surprised when people draw comparisons with the Cars. But it's kind of cool, too.

Off kilter sounding "look at me" keyboards, great simple hooks, edgy vocals. Definately smells like Cars! Even the bass line sounds like something Benjamin Orr would write! :D

That's really one of the few riff-based tunes in our repertoire. Thank the Shah half of Starnes & Shah for coming up with that one!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Alternative Rock Originals. It's the only bass gig I've got going on right now. It's mixed with the bass' upper mids rolled off; not my choice as I was sending a Jazz bass sound to the control room.

http://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes/sets/wonder-monday/

Some tasty bass lines and I think the "old school" sound works well with this.

That was fun! Thanks for posting.

Question - During the chorus are you using an Octave pedal/FX?

Sounds like my MicroPOG when I need to double the Keys left hand.

Thank you very much!!

Yes I played an EBS Octaver pedal for the chorus

• 3 weeks later...