Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Here's an entire 1,5h concert we did a few years ago, in HD, for your viewing pleasure. It was a really great time in my life, all the ~6 months of preparation and practice leading to the event, and as a result I was in the best shape of my life, bass wise - hope it shows...

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Here's an entire 1,5h concert we did a few years ago, in HD, for your viewing pleasure. It was a really great time in my life, all the ~6 months of preparation and practice leading to the event, and as a result I was in the best shape of my life, bass wise - hope it shows...

Pernax - I really enjoyed this. Like, a lot. I'm replaying it again right now.

You can tell just how much preparation went into the whole thing! Thanks for posting it.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Pernax - I really enjoyed this. Like, a lot. I'm replaying it again right now.

You can tell just how much preparation went into the whole thing! Thanks for posting it.

Well done. Nice production. Good musicianship.

Here's a Starnes & Shah rehearsal session that we shot at the recording studio where we made our most recent record, Red Brick Tide. This tune is called "Precious face & familiar bride".

[video:youtube]

Here's my gear rundown for this particular track:

BASS: Fender roadworn Jazz bass w/ Lollar pickups

AMP: Ampeg PF-500 Head

CAB: Eden D-210XLT

The cab was mic'd with an EV RE-20, and I played this tune with a pick (Fender Heavy).

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Looks like you were having fun with this one.

Was that two cameras or two takes?

A bit of both actually. There were 3 cameras, 2 manned and 1 "drone" camera covering the entire stage. There were also 2 concerts on consecutive dates, and the video is a mix of those "takes", if you will.

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Here's a Starnes & Shah rehearsal session that we shot at the recording studio where we made our most recent record, Red Brick Tide. This tune is called "Precious face & familiar bride".

Cool stuff, and as Eric said, very solid line. You're right, that drummer is pretty good.

Looked like your view of the drummer was obstructed - did that make the recording a little tougher?

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

The video's a little deceiving there. There were some gobos around the kit, but I could definitely see him from my spot in the room. The drummer for this session, Chris Infusino, has some serious credits to his name. He's super solid, and he's got a great feel.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

For a while there during the second song, I was afraid you were going to fall off the stage.

+1

Honest moment: I've come close to doing the same thing a bunch of times. What's worse, is if I'm really feeling the groove my legs get a little loose, and how I've managed to NOT FALL is really beyond me. Props to you for not falling, too!

Nick, I really, really enjoyed that! Very good song, love your bass playing and tone. Very cool stuff - check your PM.

Not as cool as some of the recent postings but have a look... feel free to critique. There are things I like and things I don't.

Love the bass playing during the solo of the first song - some cool stuff you are doing there! This sounds better than the stuff with your singer (and I liked his voice). Is this your wife? You guys have a good, full sound for this setting!

[edit]Here's my band's rendition of Johnny Lang's "Lie To Me" - this is the track I alluded to in my "small epiphany" thread:

Lie To Me

I still need to find the sweet spot to place the recorder! Bass line is somewhat shaky towards the end because I was focused too much on the backings :freak:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Nick, I really, really enjoyed that! Very good song, love your bass playing and tone. Very cool stuff - check your PM.

Thanks a lot, David!

That particular song is one of my favorites to play live. And it's kind of a funny story, too. I've been playing with S&S now for about 3 years, but that particular song was featured on the record that came out about 6 months before I joined up. Apparently, the part I came up with totally transformed the song, and now it's something of a bass feature tune during gigs.

For now, I think my take on "Precious" is relegated to the stuff we've put up on YouTube. We have recorded some gigs live to multi-track, but the prospect of releasing a live record doesn't seem like a priority right now. And since I've been getting some more new songs from Dania recently, I don't think we'll be revisiting old tunes on the next studio album. But I can hope!

Not as cool as some of the recent postings but have a look... feel free to critique. There are things I like and things I don't.

Love the bass playing during the solo of the first song - some cool stuff you are doing there! This sounds better than the stuff with your singer (and I liked his voice). Is this your wife? You guys have a good, full sound for this setting!

[edit]Here's my band's rendition of Johnny Lang's "Lie To Me" - this is the track I alluded to in my "small epiphany" thread:

Lie To Me

I still need to find the sweet spot to place the recorder! Bass line is somewhat shaky towards the end because I was focused too much on the backings :freak:

Nice version of Lie to Me. I loved playing that one too!

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Lie To Me

Cool version of "Lie to me"! Now, do you have a female singer in the band? Because it sounds like there's a female voice on some of the backing vocals.

Oh, and did that link I sent you work for you, David?

The cab was mic'd with an EV RE-20, and I played this tune with a pick (Fender Heavy).

Great stuff Nick!! Really nice sound cool Harmony vocal makes me think of Jellyfish with female vocal.

Hi guys,

-P

That is amazing production!!

Great stuff Nick!! Really nice sound cool Harmony vocal makes me think of Jellyfish with female vocal.

Thank you for the kind words, Seamy! The girls are amazing singers. And the songs they've written have made playing them a lot of fun. And it turns out that they've posted more songs from that session on YouTube.